• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Game Day - 2020 Week 2 - Washington @ Arizona

Who wins this thing?

• Winning is our new reality!

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Last week was a dream, losing is who we are.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I’m not confident we win this one, but like the improvements in 2020 so far

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
Talk about the game here - before, during, and after. Hail!

This will be a big challenge for this DL. Murray is as elusive as a QB can get, and has weapons who are capable of torching any secondary.

Yeah, Cards will be a challenge.

The 49ers, lest we forget, have their own Chase Young in Nick Bosa. They also had a Defensive front that was ranked pretty highly. They only managed 2 sacks on Murray.
He's a slippery customer who relies on his running ability - he's their leading rusher!

I'm hoping the adjustment to the 4-3, and if our guys can play with controlled agression, we can corral Murray somewhat. As much as I loved Chase last week, there were times when you watch him just push his opposite number backward way past the QB. I fear Murray might take advantage of something like that and slip underneath. And if he gets loose they have Fitz and Hopkins to throw to.

I WANT a win this week, but I do wonder if Zona are too big a mountain for this young team to climb. I didn't watch the 'zona/Niners game this week, so not sure whether this was a case of the Cards playing great football or the Niners not living up to their billing. Any one got a comment on that?

Our defense getting some good props Junior Gallette says it will be better with Kendall fuller playing this week
Marcus spears of ESPN says if you fall behind and are playing us watch out you might not have a QB the next week.
Keys to this game will be keeping Kyler Murray in check

We may surprise by coming with a more controlled four-man rush a lot ... trying to Murray in the pocket as much as possible, forcing him to throw over guys a foot taller than him, having our guys get their mitts up and looking for batted/deflected passes. SF got two, I'm thinking we might get more than that and maybe get the big turnover play. Not sure how far along Murray is in his reading/throwing on rhythm game--like to think if we can largely keep seven back and throw coverages at him, we could keep things mostly under control.

We didn't have that luxury for the past quarter-century, because we haven't had a DL capable of getting pressure from just the four downs. We do now.

We may surprise by coming with a more controlled four-man rush a lot ... trying to Murray in the pocket as much as possible, forcing him to throw over guys a foot taller than him, having our guys get their mitts up and looking for batted/deflected passes. SF got two, I'm thinking we might get more than that and maybe get the big turnover play. Not sure how far along Murray is in his reading/throwing on rhythm game--like to think if we can largely keep seven back and throw coverages at him, we could keep things mostly under control.

We didn't have that luxury for the past quarter-century, because we haven't had a DL capable of getting pressure from just the four downs. We do now.

Discipline is going to be the key. We HAVE to keep him in the pocket. I imagine Kevin Pierre-Louis will be the spy and Collins / Apke will spend a fair amount of time in the box. If Fuller is back and close to 100% it will be a big time factor because chances are the DBs are going to be on an island a fair amount, which is kind of terrifying knowing the weapons outside. We have to get to him up the middle early and often. Don't let him break contain, and don't give him time. This is gonna be a tough game.

It’s hard for Murray to escape the pocket if there is no pocket. Intense pressure from every side. I think that’s better than ‘containment’. But I understand the fear of him getting loose. I’d still rather see us be ultra aggressive and put his ass on the ground multiple times.

It’s hard for Murray to escape the pocket if there is no pocket. Intense pressure from every side. I think that’s better than ‘containment’. But I understand the fear of him getting loose. I’d still rather see us be ultra aggressive and put his ass on the ground multiple times.

Especially early on. I've seen multiple commentators with experience as players attribute Wentz late-game accuracy issues in Week 1 to all the hits he took in the 1st Quarter.

Yes, Murray's elusiveness is a major concern. But on the other hand, Wentz also usually burns us by escaping and making big plays with his legs. So, I do get what Boone is saying - hopefully, with the big boys inside, Murray will have no pocket to step up into. Collapse from all sides.... And esp with Dhop and Fitz at WR, getting Fuller back would be a help.

I agree, I just think the pressure is going to have to come up the middle so, as you said, the pocket disappears. Blitz packages, stunts, bringing pressure from odd angles is going to be the key, while keeping containment and not letting him step up and out the way Wentz and Rodgers tormented teams in the past.

I'd love it if a balls-out attack on Murray would work, but there's a reason a 4'7" QB has made the NFL ... he's quicksilver on the move and thrives on sandlot-scramble plays. What he's shown---or at least shown me---is that he's just a guy with bad mechanics and a so-so arm when called on to stand in the pocket and deliver.

To me the best approach, IF you have the ability to get consistent pressure with just the down four (and occasional blitzer of course), is to not let him slip under a sack, attack the LOS, and put what remains of the secondary in the position of having to both defend his running ability AND still keep track of guys like Fitz and Hopkins.

We shall see.

In AZ this week they're thinking we're coming after them with another 8 sacks in mind ... one wonders how they'll plan to use the lighting bug's skills to counter that.

The first couple of times the little water bug runs into Chase Young as he’s taking off out of the pocket might give him pause :) I might have Young do nothing but spy him. If anyone can neutralize a mobile QB it’s Chase.

I agree, I think the best way to deal with him is safe pressure. We want him to have to stay in the pocket because with his height hes going to have a much harder time seeing the field with all of those huge DL and OL in front of him. When hes out of the pocket he can run and also see so much better. Im going to say that if we keep him in the pocket and dont let him roll out or scramble we have a great chance to win this. But easier said then done.

I know Cam is a much different player, but he could run really well. I wonder if Ron having a QB like Cam will give him some better insight into how best to deal with a scrambling QB.

The first couple of times the little water bug runs into Chase Young as he’s taking off out of the pocket might give him pause :) I might have Young do nothing but spy him. If anyone can neutralize a mobile QB it’s Chase.
Yeah thats a great point. If our big guys are able to get some good hard hits on him its going to hurt a lot more then it did Carson with his size.

Murray had almost 100 yards on the ground last week, he's going to run, it's a given, now to cause him punishment for doing so is going to be key

the best way to deal with a short mobile qb is not to not pressure him, we can probably get pressure with 4 but one thing we have is our DT's are good at pushing the pocket and ionniadis is a really good second effort rusher, he doesnt give up and is great at coming off blocks, most of his sacks are effort sacks which means if he is waiting for murray to pick a hole murray wont have such easy seams to choose.

i WOULD COME AFTER HIM HARD AND FAST, HE IS YOUNG, MAKE HIM BEAT YOU WITH HIS FEET BECAUSE TO BE BLUNT, TEAMS RARELY LOSE TO A TEAM WHOSE QB IS ITS LEADING RUSHER.

Well, he led them in rushing Sunday, and beat last years best defense.

To me this one will come down to 3rd downs ... and whether or not we can keep him from evading and then beating the rush with his feet and scrambling to extend drives.

Well, he led them in rushing Sunday, and beat last years best defense.

To me this one will come down to 3rd downs ... and whether or not we can keep him from evading and then beating the rush with his feet and scrambling to extend drives.

I have to agree completely..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.