• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Game Day - 2020 Week 17 - Washington @ Philadelphia Eagles - SNF Edition

Yeah I can't disagree Rhino ... that muff/TD against Seattle was almost a season-killer. And I was NOT surprised with the bobble/fumble last night. Been so long since we've had a real pro back there fielding punts I don't really even care about possible big returns any more--I just want a guy who can be counted on to know when and how to catch the damn ball.

Steven Sims Jr has had a poor season during Ron's initial campaign here. Ron has continued to support him I think to try and give him confidence to get out of the funk, but his roster spot is in real jeopardy for 2021.

We simply aren't a good enough team to survive fumblers on special teams.

I can't understand why we can't find a decent returner, even a WR off another team's practice squad with experience as a returner.

Sims definitely isn't lighting it up as a receiver/playmaker on offense.

Why are they not letting Danny Johnson handle ALL returns. He showed again last night that he’s the best guy we have and yet they continue to trot Sims out there? Drives me insane!

Did anyone see all the backlash from ex-Philly players and media types complaining that Washington was gifted a win because Hurts was taken out of the contest?

Here is Hurts' stat line:

7 completions on 20 attempts for 72 yards and 1 interception.

He had 9 carries for 43 yards and at this point of his NFL career looks like a running back that can occasionally throw the ball like Brian Mitchell did here for the Redskins in the 1990's.

It's not like Pederson took out a star quarterback who was having a great day throwing the ball.

The Eagles scored 14 points and one of those drives was gifted to the Eagles as the refs continued to call penalties on Washington on third downs.

With all of the quality rushmen Washington has on defense it is a bit suspicious that the Eagles, playing TWO new tackles, didn't get flagged for holding on a number of occasions that seemed to warrant it.

if Steven Simms is our punt returner next week fire everyone.. the kid has zero confidence and is always putting us in potentially bad situations..I can't stand watching him anymore
Simms is a problem, but not even top 5. The Skins have a QB who can't throw the ball and an OC that refuses to call running plays. I'd focus your anger on that.

I hear your point, TS. At the same time, Sims' special teams blunder was a huge contributing factor to the loss vs. the Panthers. With the offensive deficiencies we have, we cannot afford to have lapses on special teams. At this point in the season, that is often the deciding factor between winning and losing.

Did anyone see all the backlash from ex-Philly players and media types complaining that Washington was gifted a win because Hurts was taken out of the contest?

Here is Hurts' stat line:

7 completions on 20 attempts for 72 yards and 1 interception.

He had 9 carries for 43 yards and at this point of his NFL career looks like a running back that can occasionally throw the ball like Brian Mitchell did here for the Redskins in the 1990's.

It's not like Pederson took out a star quarterback who was having a great day throwing the ball.

The Eagles scored 14 points and one of those drives was gifted to the Eagles as the refs continued to call penalties on Washington on third downs.

With all of the quality rushmen Washington has on defense it is a bit suspicious that the Eagles, playing TWO new tackles, didn't get flagged for holding on a number of occasions that seemed to warrant it.

Agreed. And the D adjusted well to contain Hurts much better on the 2nd half. We got jobbed by the officials on numerous occasions. One thing I love about Gibbs - he would aggressively let the officials know if he felt the calls were one-sided,in progress, at the half, and post-game. I don’t see Rivera doing a lot of that which is a tactical error imho.

Love Rivera’s response to critics the Eagles prevented Giants from making playoffs:

‘I am not going to apologize to anyone. The Steelers rested their best players and let the Browns in. It’s the NFL. If you didn’t make the playoffs perhaps you should have won another game or two’ 😆😆😆😆😜😜😜😜

Simms is a problem, but not even top 5. The Skins have a QB who can't throw the ball and an OC that refuses to call running plays. I'd focus your anger on that.
As far as Turner “refusing “ to run the ball the WFT has attempted 373 run vs 367 pass attempts... seems pretty balanced to me

My take is that the Eagles simply thumbed their nose at the league.

League wanted us to lose and flexed us into a prime time game. Both teams are still very much crappy in many areas. League was doing it for max viewership since either Dallas or NY have millions of people. It wasn't for the quality of play, that's for sure. There could be been many more compelling high end teams to feature FOR THE FINAL GAME everyone sees and you pick two of the more worse teams?

It's also no surprise that we have a history of night game failures.

They "unfixed the fix" and we simply benefitted.

Only valid football reason Pederson had was to protect Hurts from an unfortunate snap in the fain and then Carson Wentz is back in play for next year.

Oh, and #76 in Green is a piece of garbage.

As far as Turner “refusing “ to run the ball the WFT has attempted 373 run vs 367 pass attempts... seems pretty balanced to me

there is a lot more nuance to it than that. Turner has blatantly shied away from the run when it wasn't necessary. In more than 1 game, we have come out effective in the run game and it's seemingly disappeared, long before the game flow dictated it. I have been one to believe that Turner uses the quick passing game as an extension of the run game, but there is still something to be said about handing the ball to the RB, not only when it's effective, but to also push the defense in certain directions.

There were lost drives that we have gone with an empty set and you take away the threat of the run because Alex Smith is at QB. Now I have also heard that Alex likes empty set because it spreads out the defense, and there is something to be said for that, but not on 3 consecutive plays inside the redzone like we did a few games ago prior to the calf strain.

Last edited:
On the Eagles final punt I kept repeating out loud ‘just catch it, just catch it, just catch it’. 😑

As far as Johnson taking on the punt return duties, does he have experience doing it? It’s very different than kick returns.

(Not that Sims can. So...)

I don’t know. Just seems like he’d be a better bet as he’s got sure hands and good elusiveness and speed. I believe Gibson returned kicks in college and even broke a few. I’d prefer him, even dinged up, to Vaseline hands.

On the Eagles final punt I kept repeating out loud ‘just catch it, just catch it, just catch it’. 😑

As far as Johnson taking on the punt return duties, does he have experience doing it? It’s very different than kick returns.

(Not that Sims can. So...)

Just for my education, I would be curious to know why it's different btw - because that doesn't make logical sense to me (at least from the vantage point of being able to field one without fumbling it)...

Just for my education, I would be curious to know why it's different btw - because that doesn't make logical sense to me (at least from the vantage point of being able to field one without fumbling it)...

Trajectory of the ball is different, and punts are generally a spiral where kickoffs are end over end

Punts can be a pain to catch because they swirl in the air

Last edited:
That all makes some sense. Not sure it's not more about who has good hands and concentration, and who doesn't in this instance though.

That all makes some sense. Not sure it's not more about who has good hands and concentration, and who doesn't in this instance though.

It is 100%. Catching punts is no joke, especially at night. The ball is swirling and there are 2 guys coming 100 mph to knock your block off. I went to high school with a guy who actually made it to the pros as a punter and I used to be on the receiving end a lot while he warmed up. My forearms would be bruised.

They're coming to knock your block off on kickoffs too ST. I understand you have to look up more and probably are more vulnerable on punts - but they are not that dissimilar, are they? I don't doubt what you are describing is mostly correct.

But my question would be, put Sims on kickoff returns. Think he has a problem muffing those too? I do. It's a hands and concentration issue. If it weren't, all punt returners would frequently muff or mishandle the ball.

That's not to say Danny Johnson (or any other kickoff returner) is a cinch to handle punts. I get it. But I don't think it could get much worse than Sims. And you know they are practicing this a significant amount of time - and he's still high risk. Why NOT try someone else who has better hands?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.