• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

former Redskin Deacon Jones passes

I honestly didn't know Jones ever played for any team but the Rams, much less that he played a season for the Skins. I had never seen a photo of him in any football uni but the Rams until about 5 minutes ago.

So yeah, I think Mike has it right.

you gotta wonder how many sacks he actually had in his career. I bet it would be one of those records that could never be caught.

Definitely devalues Strahan's record even more than the last "sack" to get him the record that was so controversial.

I'm actually surprised that nobody has gone back and watched all his film/read all the play-by-plays of his career to tabulate how many sacks he had. It would be an official unofficial stat.

Jones was freakish in his combination of size, speed and athletic ability and ability to cover the field side-to-side.

He was durable only missing six games total in a 14r year career.

He is credited with coining the word "sack" in the NFL.

His notorious "head slap" maneuver was banned because of its effectiveness in giving the DE an edge.

Anytime a player's mode of play causes rule changes because it works too well, he must be considered an all-time great player.

He was a Redskin for a while and I'm grateful for that.

Deacon's sack totals are estimated to be at about 173. He had two twenty-two sack seasons and five seasons of twenty or more. All unofficial of course.

He is the guy you see in the films and go "oooh, ****! he looks mean as hell!"

but isnt calling him a former Redskin like calling Monk a former Jet?

well...maybe.

Jones stated he loved playing for the Skins.

sacks were not officially counted early in Jones' career.

The strong connection through the Redskins comes with the Allen family. Deacon was taken in the 14th round by the Rams and was not expected to do much. George Allen was a mentor and father figure for him and his career took off from the first day they were together.

Deacon was all but a member of the Allen family. Allen's daughter named her son after Deacon. Deacon always had that bond with the Allen's and they were inseparable. Today, the Allen family is mourning the loss of a beloved family member.

I haven't seen that show, but I recall the story and background from when Coach Allen went into the HOF several years ago.

I never wanted that guy to hit me. RIP.

Greatest pass rusher of All Time!

I loved Deacon Jones because he could talk it and walk it!

Heard Bob Lily on NFL Radio today. His Deacon story was that they were playing the Rams in LA and the Cowboys had to start a rookie at OT.

The rookie lines up across from Deacon and Deacon says: "Does your Momma know where you're at? You better tell her before this game's over..."

Lol..... RIP Deacon...you sir were one of a kind!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTPuBCm4PTg[/media]

Last edited:
My fondest memory of Deacon as a Redskin is when he kicked an extra point in a lopsided victory against the Bears. IIRC, the ball hit the left upright but still managed to make it over the crossbar as the Skins' final point of the regular season. It was also Jones' final regular season game in the NFL. RIP Deacon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.