• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Fishing for Tips....on Fishing

I would suggest hooking minnows or live bait through the nose... at least in freshwater I've witnessed predators, primarily largemouth bass, attacking prey focusing on the head, so they at least stun it.

Last edited:
Oh BTW regarding catching and eating sharks.... Most of them taste absolutely awful if you don't process your catch the right way. they can taste like ammonia if not handled right. Google each species, there are a ton of ways people treat shark meat differently then almost any other type of fish.

I eat shark only very infrequently now, but the first on I ever tried the meat was fouled because we didn't know what we were doing. Basics are gut immediately remove skin ASAP keeping it as cold as possible. In ice but never in a bag on ice.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's true of all sharks but I am pretty sure sharks excrete urea through their skin. If you don't completely skin a shark it will taste like piss. But I've never eaten a shark that was skinned that wasn't tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So skinned shark is good eats? Never tried it but certainly would....pissless of course.

Interesting, I always had the belief that cooked piss evaporates
It ruins the meat before you can cook it.
So skinned shark is good eats? Never tried it but certainly would....pissless of course.
Not all species some are just useless, some are edible by lower standards and some can be quite delicious! Blacktip is one that can be quite good if you take some time to take care of the meat. Others that I know of now fall into the "protected" category so no need to comment further.

In my teens and 20's I chased mako and thresher in big money tournaments but did it for fun also because I loved catching and eating the beasts... In that time we caught many hundreds maybe thousands of blue sharks and I never tried one because I was told it was a waste of time. (not like me at all)

There are many species of fish that taste better if you treat the meat differently, mackerel, bluefish even cuda come to mind immediately. But Snarks are a bit different, the waste tainting the meat is a pretty big deal breaker for most.

How does one go about determining the difference between a good worm and a bad worm ?
Is there a simple "test", that does not involve a "taste test" ?
Tunas, amberjack, grouper, snapper, mako, thrashers, cobia, swordfish, wahoo, dolphin, tile fish, sailfish-marlin (before anyone gets their panties in a wad those two I've eaten when we killed for tourney or just gut hooked badly)

These are just some of the fish I have eaten with worms in them. I couldn't say for sure any of them are good to eat or bad to eat but growing up commercial fishing we were always told the worms were harmless to people and if we couldn't cut them out just cooked em. Amberjack has been the biggest culprit over the years and we joke that their good protein., but for certain? Nope.

Now the fish with fishhandlers disease, lesions, outer skin issues, sickness are a whole nuther story and the view of external parasites is sometimes just too much for most.

In the drum, you couldn't see them when the fish was cooked. They're harmless.

Seafood Health Facts: Making Smart Choices

"All living organisms, including fish, can have parasites. Parasites are a natural occurrence, not contamination. They are as common in fish as insects are in fruits and vegetables. Parasites do not present a health concern in thoroughly cooked fish."

I'm finding mixed answers to this on the internet.
But how long will frozen bait last in the freezer ?
Part 2 of that question, will that duration change much, if it has been partially thawed during a fishing trip, and then re-frozen ?
The bait includes Squid, Shrimp, Mullet, Minnows.

Yeah I think I'm done until the lakes freeze over. Then it's the Alaskan record rainbow trout!

This is borrowed from a boat building website I'm a member of. Very cool. Watch the bottom one during the day. Shark, turtle, barracuda and all manner of marine wildlife. Way cool.

Check this out. Real time web cam from 3 different cameras on the tower at Frying Pan Shoals NC. One at the top, one shallow water and one on the bottom. The cameras pan around to a different view every minute or so. You can view them in full screen mode and use it like a screen saver. Real time aquarium. I like the deep water cam the best, never know what's going to swim by next. The shallow cam will almost make me seasick!

FPT Live

When I was stationed in Cali I loved going on the charter boats to fish

Bumping this mofo

To further our kayak discussion a little bit I figured this thread more appropriate. Boone if you haven’t looked into them I would definitely suggest a ‘sit on top’ style kayak for comfort. You’re elevated enough to where your upper legs are horizontal, which helps in back pain. In addition it’s much easier to stand up and stretch.

Since some of you ride bikes then the pedal style may be more of your thing. Here’s a few examples of ones Ive been researching.

Hobie pro angler 360* (pedal)

Native Slayer Pro Max (pedal)

Bonafide ss127 (paddle)

I really love the Hobies. You can have the pedal console in the center allowing you to power the kayak with your feet (obviously a huge advantage as your hands are free to fish) or you can even put a 5hp electric motor in. I have always loved to fish. Biggest factor that keeps me from doing it more often is that I don't have any local friends and especially if I were to get a kayak, unless I lived on a lake with direct access, I don't think I would go out much on my own.

But man those Hobies are sweet. Something to think about :)

I found myself looking at canoes lately. I miss my Old Town Carleton 16 ft!!!

I answered an ad for it on Craigslist, and was practically interviewed to purchase it. When I got there, the guy probably had about 15k in canoes/kayaks in his garage.

He had taken one of the most stable boats Old Town ever created, an early 70's model, and fixed it up. He redid all the fiberglass where there were actual holes, and along the keel he resurfaced it with kevlar. All the gunwales he redid with ash...the boats was beautiful!

He sold it to me for 150 bucks because he knew it would get a lot to good use...and it did. Took it up to Special Teams' bachelor party and left it at my old campsite on the Upper Potomac river, where I was going to return the following week to pick it up. I'd done this often, but this time it was stolen. UGH!!!

I Have had 2 canoes since...there just is no replacing that one for comfort, and the way it would glide through the water.

Long story, I know...but I am a canoe guy. I Have never been able to sit on any kayak without it affecting my back. I Have a Coleman now, I bought it specifically because it is fitted for a trolling motor and as my fat ass gets older, paddling becomes a little more difficult. IT's ok, but not nearly what I lost.

I had a aluminum John boat. Bought it brand new. Took it out a number of times but could never get my kids into fishing. My neighbor has young kids he and his wife homeschool, so I told him he could have it and the trailer and electric motor and gear, on the condition he used it with his kids. Other than go to church and stay at home, those kids have no life. 6 mos. later he sold it and all the gear I gave him.

He's dead to me now.

I had a aluminum John boat. Bought it brand new. Took it out a number of times but could never get my kids into fishing. My neighbor has young kids he and his wife homeschool, so I told him he could have it and the trailer and electric motor and gear, on the condition he used it with his kids. Other than go to church and stay at home, those kids have no life. 6 mos. later he sold it and all the gear I gave him.

He's dead to me now.
Wow! THAt's kind of a dick move.

YEAh, I look forward to the summer where Patrick and I will be spending as much time in that canoe as possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.