• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Fishing for Tips....on Fishing

I usually shore fish from the beach during our beach trip at the end of June. I don't know that I've ever caught anything but sand sharks, rays, and occasionally a spot. Fall is really the time to surf fish in NC. I've also fished from piers at night, but hard to catch anything as I think the areas around popular piers are pretty fished out. I would love to fish the salt flats in a small boat - go for sheepshead and flounder, but don't have a saltwater boat. The last couple years, we have chartered a boat and caught a slew of mackerel and some big sharks. Biggest problem I've found with chartering boats, most captains want you to watch THEM fish :)

You know what they say...

Sometimes you get the bear. Sometimes the bear gets you.

Fishing stalemate has been broken.
Caught my very first fish of the year (actually the first in many, many years).
Reeled in this blue fish, using mullet bait

Congrats on your fish there Fear. Though using mullet bait he never stood a chance really!

image.jpg

Last edited:
You shoulda seen the one that got away ...

big_fish.jpg

The one and only thing I hate about Alaska fishing is the combat system. Thousands of miles of river bank and the state opens up like 5% of it. Stupid preserving the species & stuff

It's a thread about catching fish, but maybe it's time to flip the question....
How do you NOT get caught BY a fish these days, considering all the recent shark attacks.
Is there a shark repellant you can spray on yourself, that will make the shark not want to take a bite out of you ?

Nabbed this thing today and I was gonna eat it.
Then I saw what appeared to be parasites growing out of the underbelly of it (poor quality pic, since it's not a smartphone)
Friend of mine said I could just cut them off...But I know there could be more parasites that are not visible, like on the inside of it
So I'm tempted to toss it, and not risk getting sick. What do you guys think ?

Last edited:
I'd say chuck it, you don't know how far into the fish those little bastards have burrowed. Not sure if you've ever squirrel hunted but it's just like warbles.

Some of my friends have caught halibut up here with parasites and they chuck the whole fish. It's usually the older ones

That's a cool catch tho!

Last edited:
This one is halibut worms
image.jpgimage.jpg

This shows actual sea lice, haven't heard of them til this year...mostly in shrimp.
image.jpg

I'm with Win... chuck it. It's too small to eat anyway.

Thanks Win and Miles.
For both the advice, and the pics.....for after looking at those wormy pics, it makes me want to cook the crap out of any fish I eat from now on, whether I see anything nasty on them, or not.
Needless to say, I don't want to eat Sushi for a long time

heheh. Dad caught a 50# black drum when I was a kid. It had some parasites in it. Neighbor was a butcher. Said it's normal. We just cooked it up an ate it. Grew up salt water fishing the Potomac and the Bay. Drum was the only fish I saw them in. Tastey. :)

Most worms found in fish I have found are harmless to man. You should see the size of them in the prized bluefin and yellow fin tuna. Im sure there are bad ones like anything else. Key is to catch fish large enough to cut the worms out leaving enough to eat!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.