• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Fans to Return to FedEx in 2021

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
I guess the question is, will they be our fans or the opponents :)

In this transitory town there will always be fans of other teams present, but if Washington is really on the trajectory is appears to be, playing a physical, winning style of football (and that's before we find our QB), it won't matter. If you build it, the home fans will come.

I also wonder how strict they're going to be if I'm wearing a Redskins shirt...

I don’t think they’ll go there. They have the right to change their name. I doubt they have any desire to try and enforce restrictions on what fans wear to games.That would be a PR nightmare.

I’m a bit surprised they are going from ‘no attendees’ to a full stadium. That seems a bit foolhardy to me,

I don't know how they will address it, but I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't allow anything Redskins. FedEx made quite the spectacle regarding it so I would not be shocked if the rent a cops are told to not allow it.

There'd be a lot of shirtless people in the stadium under that rule Mike considering how many people wear the gear. And to Boone's point, the PR nightmare they took changing the name with the fan base already diluted what was left, I can't see Snyder even risking a bigger blow by doing something of that nature.

They make you turn it inside out, Eric. I have seen it done in San Diego with anti-Spanos stuff and have had to turn gear out that they didn't "find ok".

True Mike, but my God the bad attention that would bring, I just can't see any value proposition that has for Snyder and since he bought out the minority owners (one of which was the chief executive of FedEx) so I don't see that as an issue. If FedEx we're to try to get out of the naming rights deal, it'd be tied up in court by the time the deal expires.

What's the single best way to ensure people wear Redskins gear to games?

Tell them they can't.

I am not about whether it is right or wrong...but, I know I have seen it done numerous times where security is told not to allow something.

even bags on the head. Most of those are not allowed but fans get them in somehow anyways.

It'll be interesting to see how the team handles the 'old name' on a number of fronts. When they talk about that era, will they refer to 'the Redskins'? Will they be renamed in places like the Pro Football HOF even though the name of the team that won those Super Bowls was 'Redskins'... just how far are they going to take it?

My issue is... I can come to terms with the fact that we live in an America where the slightest outcry or perception has to be treated as reality, where the most fringe interpretations of any issue have to be embraced and acquiesced to. It's unfortunate, but I get that. What I am not on board with is pretending that the name 'Redskins' was ever used, viewed as, or intended to somehow be a slur, denigrating Native American culture in any way - because that is a flat out lie.

There's a big difference in saying 'because some (perhaps a very small #) of Native Americans viewed the name as offensive, we elected to change it as we would never want to offend anyone' and 'anyone using the name Redskins, in the past, present, or future is a racist'. Because that, again, is a lie. Nothing could be further from the truth. And that's why I had a big problem with Alex Smith's snarky comment about the 'racist name', as if we'd all been cheering for the Washington N-words all these years.

I hope no fans feel like they shouldn't wear old Redskins gear, or should feel ashamed of our 'racist name' - because it's never BEEN a racist name. I think barring logoed clothing at the stadium would be tantamount to the team implying it's own fans are a bunch of racists. I just don't think they'll do that. Of course, these are the same tone-deaf folks that joyously promoted videos of them sanitizing the walls of the stadium as if that were a thing for fans to cheer. So nothing would really surprise me at this point.

The best thing they could possibly do is embrace it silently. Carryover fans of this team will always have a place in their heart for the Redskins. Allowing them to continue that, even if not publicly endorsing it has to be a priority. If they're not going to let fans walk around in Redskins gear then they better not find themselves ever trying to profit off the 3 Lombardi trophies or the legacy players. If you want to keep the heritage, you also have to accept the previous name.

I am not going to worry about what shirts people wear to the games. This has been TOO long and TOO hard a road to finally get rid of Bruce, find a capable coach and some people in the front office that appear to be solid human beings to then continue the discord.

Enjoy the new players and the competitiveness that has come with these changes. Washington is no longer a laughingstock ON the field around the NFL and you can bet Dallas and the Giants hope against hope that we don't end up getting our hands on a franchise quarterback through trade or in next year's draft.

Yep. That's a great way of looking at it. I have two issues with it. One - is the obvious one. Dan Snyder is still the owner and likely will remain the owner. That's just something fans have to live with, the only other option being walk away. That alone is enough to give one pause as to whether things have really changed (and will continue to stay on the right course). My only other issue with the organization is that you have brought in folks who really have no historic ties to the 'Redskins' organization. Some of the clumsy, tone-deaf moves and communications they have made make it clear they don't really GET what Redskins fans have gone through. We have heard 'all the right things' before and ultimately, improvements in how the organization runs has always been a temporary respite (see point 1 above). I have a lot of respect for Rivera. He's brought a number of quality, morally solid, capable folks into the organization. We'll see if things have really changed as time goes on (and particularly at the next big transition point, when Rivera retires or if he doesn't succeed and is replaced).

It's hard to argue with the positive changes on the roster and with on-the-field results. I have nothing but praise and respect for what they are doing there.

Ultimately, when it comes to the subject at hand, how they will approach people wearing Redskins gear at the stadium, I don't really care. I do tend to believe that they have enough awareness that making an issue out of it is going to alienate this fanbase to a degree they may not be prepared for, and that they'll avoid creating that kind of an uproar.

I suspect that every touchdown is going to be celebrated with at least some fans in attendance singing HTTR. They literally cannot prevent it, and I think it could even become a battle cry that never goes away. Not so much because fans think it will change anything, but as a recognition that for most current fans, this team will always be 'the Redskins' and you can't force fans to change their mentality on that. It's sort of like the stupid 'O' thing with the national anthem. Once it becomes 'something fans do', it becomes an ever-present habit that will persist. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Washngton Football Fans are still singing HTTR after TDs 50 years from now.

Well, that's cool that you all aren't worried about shirts. But, the real issue is you're being told how you can root and what you are allowed to do as a fan. Even buying a ticket doesn't give you any right to root how you want.

That's the issue here. They will do all they can to force Redskins gear to disappear completely.

I am not going to worry about what shirts people wear to the games. This has been TOO long and TOO hard a road to finally get rid of Bruce, find a capable coach and some people in the front office that appear to be solid human beings to then continue the discord.

Enjoy the new players and the competitiveness that has come with these changes. Washington is no longer a laughingstock ON the field around the NFL and you can bet Dallas and the Giants hope against hope that we don't end up getting our hands on a franchise quarterback through trade or in next year's draft.

You're going to have to forgive 30+ year fans of the Redskins that aren't willing to just throw that way because we won a division at 7-9 and hosted a playoff game.

I am a huge supporter of what Rivera has done. This team is moving in about as positive a direction as the franchise has ever seen... so don't take it the wrong way. The anger surrounding the name has been held to a dull roar for a couple of reasons. 1, because of what you pointed out. Had this team not fired Gruden and gone 4-12 in 2020, a lot of the fans that SAID they were going to walk away but ultimately held on because it was still fun, likely vacate their fanhood and don't look back. Another thing is covid. Not only were fans not able to vocally speak out on Sundays at the game, but they were forced to stay home, which made sucking it up and watching a football game on Sunday A LOT easier. Had life been 'normal' throughout last season, I would bet those people who are more 'worried about what shirts people wear to the games' probably swear off the team and do it in a loud way. Viewership may not have cratered as expected because what else are people going to do?

I would not be discounting how this franchise handles the support of the Redskins going forward. It's going to have a massive effect on how people handle the transition to the new name. As I said in an earlier post, if they're not going to let us fans wear Redskins gear to the stadium, then they shouldn't be trotting out Lombardi trophies or talking about 'est 1932' anymore. 95% of that 'est 1932' resides under the name Redskins. I'm not saying the team should come out publicly and encourage it (because we all know exactly how that would go over with the same sponsors who forced the name change), but the absolute best thing they can do is silently embrace it. Let it happen. The direction the team is going on, it's likely a lot of the Redskins gear fades very quickly, because if this fanbase has ever shown anything, it's the fact that we can grab onto a beloved player(s) and not let go. 28 / 81 / 44 jerseys will quickly get replaced by 99 / 17 / 24 jerseys. Forcing fans to not wear Redskins gear... you'll alienate one of the most loyal fanbases in professional sports....

Well, that's cool that you all aren't worried about shirts. But, the real issue is you're being told how you can root and what you are allowed to do as a fan. Even buying a ticket doesn't give you any right to root how you want.

That's the issue here. They will do all they can to force Redskins gear to disappear completely.

There is no issue yet Mike - you're assuming there will be an issue.

There is no issue yet Mike - you're assuming there will be an issue.
Isn't that what we do here though? We make scenarios and discuss what could happen?

I see no difference in doing that with players and what I'm doing. I've also seen it happen firsthand with the chargers.

Absolutely. I don’t have any issue with the discussion, I’m just saying maybe the new regime is smarter and won’t go there. Hope I’m right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.