• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Famous Sports Voices and stuff

DudeRedskin

The UDFA
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Howdy gang. Once upon a time I wanted to be a sports broadcaster; didn't happen but I still pay attention, and therefore I thought it might be interesting to post your most iconic call phrases from our play by play heroes. Here go mine:

Keith Jackson "Whoa Nellie!"
Brent Musberger "You are looking LIVE at..."
Marv Albert "A spec-TAC-ular" or "an A-MAZ-ing" (MA seems to love those second syllables lol)
Dick Enberg "Oh my!"

Sound off fellas. Err, and ladies...

Nice thread. :)

Since I'm first in, I'll check the required box:

"Touchdown, Washington Redskins!"

Berman: back, back, back, back

Some local reporter somewhere: Boom goes the dynamite

Van Earl Wright - loved that guy... did a lot of sports but I loved him on baseball highlights.... 'Deeeeep over the left field wall!'

two people.

both local, both amazing, both crucial in my sports television life as a kid. Personally, I have a love for Glenn over George but both were just so good.

Warner Wolf - 'Let's go to the videotape!'

Here he is with Glenn Brenner... so cool to see them both...

Berman: back, back, back, back

Some local reporter somewhere: Boom goes the dynamite
Haha! Chris, you know where that originated?

This poor kid, we are watching some of the very best in sports reporting, here is the origin of Boom Goes the Dynamite. The entire video is almost 4 minutes so if you want to fast forward to the 1:45 you can see the best of it. I will give him credit, he tried and made it through the entire segment.

Speaking of the late (kinda great, kinda goofball) Warner Wolfe:

"Shootout! C'mon!"

Some regional bias here, but possibly the greatest voice in all of baseball-the dulcet tones of Vin Scully
"It's time for Dodger baseball!"

Johnny Miller: outstanding, nothing held back golf analysis.

"I played so bad I got a get well card from the IRS"

"The dollars aren't so important...once you have them"

My favorite announcers don't really have catch phrases. Although Jon Miller always had a fantastic double play call. "Ground ball to second, Billy flips it to Cal, over to Murray at first. TWO! A double play." If you grew up an Orioles fan and listened to Miller on the radio, you can hear him exclaiming "TWO".

Also, Frank Herzog and his "Touchdown, Washington Redskins". Just iconic.

I've often though about how spoiled I was as a kid with great announcers for my favorite teams. I know part of it is these are the voices I grew up with, but they were legends and fantastic announcers. I've heard other announcers in other cities and on XM Radio. Some a great, but others are just hacks and homers. I wonder how they get their jobs. But I used to listen to games on the radio when I had to go to bed. So I got used to hearing these fantastic sports voices:

Orioles - Jon Miller and Chuck Thompson on the radio. Mel Proctor on TV.
Redskins - Frank, Sonny, and Sam (Sam was a homer, but the professionalism of Herzog and knowledge of Sonny balanced it out).
Capitals - Ron Weber.
Maryland - Johnny Holiday's voice is fantastic and even as he ages is still a treat to listen to.
I wasn't much of a Bullets fan, but Mel Proctor and Phil Chenier were also great.

I can still hear their calls and in some cases greatly miss their voices for my favorite teams. The new voices aren't the same and in some ways are a deterrent to listening. Larry Michael has always sounded like a hack and I can't take more than 5 minutes of listening to him. Gary Thorne with the Orioles is a famous voice, but he sounds drunk half the time and I still associate his voice with hockey on ESPN and not so much baseball. Joe B and Craig Laughlin are great on TV for the Caps, and Walton is fine on the radio, but he's always a step behind the play which is noticeable in hockey because of the speed and many times the crowd noise gives away the play before he can call it. If Weber was behind in a play, you could never tell.

I miss the guys from the 80s. They were special in their own way. Miller may not be Scully. Herzog may not be Al Michaels. Ron Weber may not be Doc Emrick. But they were all legends in their own right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.