• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Familiar Territory

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
ontheedge.png

So... where do we go from here?

We've been here so many times before over the past 30 years. The cycle feels inevitable and immutable.

Offseason hope and optimism.
Sluggish starts.
Injuries to key players.
And by mid-October, our team is irrelevant.

Sometimes we'll spice up that cycle with some late season theatrics, enough to give the foolhardy hope, but rarely quite enough to extend a season.

Just enough to trick a beleagured fanbase into thinking 'next year will be better'. But next year is this year and better seems a distant pipedream.

The last step of the cycle is the call for blowing it all up and starting over. Nevermind that the same braintrust that picked the last 17 regimes will be picking a new one.

And as the cycle grinds through its inexorable stages, our few real stars get another year older, another season closer to decline, another degree of demoralized.

What are we to do as fans? The harsh reality is that we have no recourse. There are 3 avenues open to us. The first, wallowing in misery, disgust, and anger isn't very productive. Even the most invested in us only has so much vitriole and fury we can muster. The tanks pretty empty, which leads us to our 2nd option - giving up hope and just embracing the idea that this franchise is doomed and that we can never, ever have nice things. And of course, the ultimate option - walk away.

Why don't we walk away? We have every reason to. The franchise we grew up cheering for and loving is long gone. The name is gone. The tradition is gone. The fanbase has been ravaged and depleted. The stadium is a leaking shipwreck of failure hijacked every Sunday by opposing fans. And the owner, if not the Devil, is certainly in league with him.

There's not one of us on any given Sunday who isn't wondering by halftime 'Why do I subject myself to this?'.

But most of us grind it out, watch to the bitter end, like the good soldiers we are. But year after year after year - man, how does one keep sustaining that precious fandom?

I'm 60 this year and am legitimately beginning to wonder if I'll ever see a great Washington team in Burgundy and Gold in my lifetime? The odds don't look favorable.

Some will say that it's still early in the season, and when it's late in the season they'll say 'Give Rivera his full contract - he may yet turn this around'. But does anyone really believe that? It doesn't even seem possible, let alone likely. And if not Rivera, who? Here we go again.

I hang on the slimmest hope of the NFL forcing Dan Snyder out. That would certainly be no guarantee of a sea change in terms of actual football success. But it seems clear that short of that ownership change, this franchise cannot succeed. Our only hope is that that soulless MFer leaves Ashburn and never comes back.

And if that doesn't happen, I can offer no hope or solace. When it comes to my NFL fandom, I'm lost, adrift at sea. If anyone's got a life preserver, for God's sake, throw it my way will ya? :)

Last edited:
This group of fans on this site is arguably the only reason why I stick around. I enjoy the company, conversation, and family atmosphere.

At this point, we can be saved by one of two things:

1. As you mentioned, Boone, Snyder is forced out of the league.

2. We suck so bad to the point that we fall into the #1 overall pick and luck into a generational QB who has the power to change our fortunes.

I am always skeptical about #1 ever happening. As crappy as it makes me feel, I feel that winning two or three games all season and finishing 32nd overall might be our best chance of any sort of long-term success.

In reality, it is the one thing we have never been able to try out under Snyder. Even Griffin at #2 overall was a costly trade up. Just suck to the point that you need to compete with nobody for Bryce Young and go from there.

Last edited:
I’ve got nothing. Zip. Nada.

It looks like the NFL has zero interest in forcing Snyder out, which is understandable for such a soulless enterprise and that is the only hope that long-time fans have. Well, that and his relocating the team. Maybe expansion into N. Korea would work. But, is there room over there for two egotistical, despotic, miniature leaders?

I don't think the franchise braintrust really has any idea the precipice this fanbase is on. We're already down to the absolute die-hards. The 'brand change' already has many of them on the edge and hanging on by a thread. Add 3 or 4 seasons of being one of the worst teams and an NFL laughing stock - good lord - can you imagine how few of us there will be left?

That's what the other owners need to be thinking about. If you don't give a rat's ass about morality and ethics, you'd think they would at least appreciate what this guy has done to a once dominating fanbase? He has literally single-handedly destroyed it. How can that not matter in a business where fan loyalty and passion is routinely sky high?!

I've seen fans, good fans, openly rooting for a last place NFL finish, simply because they feel it will apply more pressure on the NFL to remove Snyder. As a fan, that kind of thinking makes me sick. But I'm beginning to see the logic in it.

Burgundy and Gold have become the colors I associate with apathy. I still root but I can’t let my emotions get too involved. Too many years of this shit. It all comes back to Snyder. Worst owner in sports doesn’t even do justice of how bad he is as an owner. Ron and his staff really suck. On so many levels.

Our players don’t know the rules. Obada last week. Sweat this week with the helmet.

In the meantime. I want to see the young players. Get Howell and Chris Paul playing. Love Benjamin St J, Derrick Forrest. Love Allen and Payne. Love Terry and Dotson.

I have definitely become more apathetic as the losing continues. Some of that is growing older and realizing sports isn't the end all be all. But losing just doesn't bother me like it used to. Yes, it still sucks. But I've become used to it. Though I will admit my heart was beating pretty hard during that last series, so there is still life in me when it comes to this team. I just think of all the teams I root for and while all had success when I was a kid, it's been almost all disappointment in my adult life save 1. The Caps were successful when I was a kid, but could never win. Their Stanly Cup win in 2018 is still like Christmas morning for me. It was even more special because of the Redskins and Orioles constant failures. So no matter how much hope I have coming into a season, it all disappears quickly. Last season I had more hope than this season. Then we saw it all unravel so quickly last year. So I kept a good perspective going into this year. Still, I'm disappointed because it's looking like another season of failure. Same the ones before and since 1992. A few glimmers of hope in there, but otherwise, failures.

As far as removing Snyder, I'm pretty resigned to the fact that it won't happen. The league is going to protect it's owners at all costs. Maybe he knows their secrets, or maybe they just need someone to push around, or maybe they don't want to set the precedent of removing an owner. With all we have heard, it seems like it would be a no brainer to remove him, but so far they have shown no interest in doing so. As far as terrible attendance, the league doesn't care. They are still making money off TV contracts and then visiting fans going to stadiums. Yesterday, both Arizona and LA were overrun by visiting fans. A playoff contender and defending Super Bowl Champion had a ton of visiting fans. Why would the league care about an east coast team that is overrun with visiting fans? Snyder has no soul and doesn't see the real problem with that. But the NFL is getting their money. TV ratings are up. Networks are falling over themselves to give money to the NFL. So as much as it pains us to see him continue as the owner, the league sees no problem and probably enjoys him as an owner. Who else would John Mara and Jerry Jones push around if Snyder left? That is why the apathy will continue to grow and as long as the team is making money, which TV and shared revenue means they will, the front office won't care.

If I knew the way I'd go back home
But the countryside has changed so much
I'd surely end up lost
Half remembering names and faces
So far in the past
On the other side of bridges that were burned once they were crossed.........

2. We suck so bad to the point that we fall into the #1 overall pick and luck into a generational QB who has the power to change our fortunes.

That hasn't worked for us, either.
At least with #2 overall picks, like RG3 and Chase Young, who were both supposed to be "generational" players.
So, I have doubts that #1 will be much different than #2 overall.

That hasn't worked for us, either.
At least with #2 overall picks, like RG3 and Chase Young, who were both supposed to be "generational" players.
So, I have doubts that #1 will be much different than #2 overall.

Agree to an extent. In both examples you cited though, the difference between #1 and #2 was landing the cream of the crop QB prospects that 98 percent of teams would have selected if in the same position - Luck and Burrow vs. Griffin and Young. As beaten down as we all are, nobody can tell me we would be as sad-sacked as we are now if either of those two were sitting in our QB room.

I never had hope for this season. Yes, idiosyncratic beliefs, but it's being confirmed as the season progresses. There is a mandate to be irrelevant. Not to tank, not to make the playoffs, but to hit "no man's land". It is simply the best explanation for taking all of Wentz's salary, for selecting Milne as our punt returner, etc.

Any monkey can see Kenny Pickett is going to be a star. Poise under pressure, with accuracy? Practically the most essential aspect of quaterbacking. Dotson is good, but Pickett will be another we could have had but missed or were told not to take because of Dan's sins.

This team is a pariah. Similar to how the Saints would be barred from another Super Bowl because of Bountygate.

Great team? Being honest, no. Better than this? I believe you can. We just have to get the secret sauce and there isn’t always magic to it. A lot of luck goes in. It is true our owner will make that process worse (and has), but at least I believe in this iteration he trusted Ron and gave him the keys. It has just been the absolute wrong guy. A guy who didn’t hire based on merit. All cronyism. That is why we are where we are this season. This season is Ron’s mess.

Ron (and especially Scott) have to go before anything can get better.

The 'brand change' already has many of them on the edge and hanging on by a thread.

The brand change was a joke. Mind you, I was opposed to the name change, but if you are going for a name change then go for the name change. You don't change the name and on year one celebrate 75 years of tradition. It's dumb. 75 years of what? Of Commanders football. No. Of Washington football. Nope, that includes Boston. Of Redskins football. Nope. Then, to pick the same color scheme and then announce a new fight song and have it be "Hail to the Commanders?!"

This is the worst version of having your cake and eating it, too.

I hate to tell them this, but John Riggins was never a Commander. Neither was Sammy Baugh. Not Sonny or Sean Taylor.

Now, the rebrand gave them a chance for a fresh start. You could have had all sorts of events and buy-in events. You could have made it a big deal and very fun. Sure, it'd have been hokey and fake, too, but you could have made this the coolest, most modern thing that speaks to this generation in a way that teams invented in the 40's - 70's can't. it would have been fun. Instead, we have bad Shakespeare. We have "The Redskins by any other name would stink just as bad."

The Commanders are an okay name. It's fine. It's blah. But it could have been something risky and exciting. It could have been something that speaks to millennials. Likewise, the uniforms, the dance squad, the music, everything could have been absolutely new. They went lazy and they went safe. Worse, they failed to get it done on the field. Worse, they proved their critics right. Folks who questioned the O line are right. Folks who questioned the cost of the QB seem to be right. Folks who questioned retaining the entire coaching staff seem to be right. Folks who questioned the NFL not forcing the owner to sell the team seem to be right. RIght now, the only thing that's holding this team together is 30 year old memories, tailgate friendships, and a good receiver group.

But while they changed their name... they worked their hardest not to change their brand. And their brand still stinks.

Two names that should have been considered-

146B951F-88C6-4861-8945-F5FABEE4C195.jpeg

Secondary benefit, outside of truth in advertising, is that reworded lyrics would have provided an epic fight song.

017191C9-C8C5-44B2-BFDE-2F5395179DF3.jpeg

Ties into the desire for a military theme.

You know what's telling...

Wifey and I were watching that Packers game last night, and even though the Giants were leading and there were only seconds left, after the Giants muffed the punt, she and the rest of the Packers fans seemed utterly convinced that they were going to win. Somehow Aaron Rodgers would pull a bit of brilliance out of his ass and win the day. They were genuinely shocked when he didn't.

Me watching the game on Sunday, Carson has the Commanders on the 2 yard line and I KNEW with almost iron clad certainty that there was no way we were winning.

That's what this team has done to the fanbase.

It's the same on EVERY opponents 3rd and long. Every 4th down. I KNOW that they're going to get it and surprised when they don't.

On a positive note, I do like the burgundy uniforms. Still think we're missing the stripes on the pants, but I did like the look. Still don't care for the white Cardinal's look. Black is pretty sharp, but not really our colours.

The brand change was a joke. Mind you, I was opposed to the name change, but if you are going for a name change then go for the name change. You don't change the name and on year one celebrate 75 years of tradition. It's dumb. 75 years of what? Of Commanders football. No. Of Washington football. Nope, that includes Boston. Of Redskins football. Nope. Then, to pick the same color scheme and then announce a new fight song and have it be "Hail to the Commanders?!"

This is the worst version of having your cake and eating it, too.

I hate to tell them this, but John Riggins was never a Commander. Neither was Sammy Baugh. Not Sonny or Sean Taylor.

Now, the rebrand gave them a chance for a fresh start. You could have had all sorts of events and buy-in events. You could have made it a big deal and very fun. Sure, it'd have been hokey and fake, too, but you could have made this the coolest, most modern thing that speaks to this generation in a way that teams invented in the 40's - 70's can't. it would have been fun. Instead, we have bad Shakespeare. We have "The Redskins by any other name would stink just as bad."

The Commanders are an okay name. It's fine. It's blah. But it could have been something risky and exciting. It could have been something that speaks to millennials. Likewise, the uniforms, the dance squad, the music, everything could have been absolutely new. They went lazy and they went safe. Worse, they failed to get it done on the field. Worse, they proved their critics right. Folks who questioned the O line are right. Folks who questioned the cost of the QB seem to be right. Folks who questioned retaining the entire coaching staff seem to be right. Folks who questioned the NFL not forcing the owner to sell the team seem to be right. RIght now, the only thing that's holding this team together is 30 year old memories, tailgate friendships, and a good receiver group.

But while they changed their name... they worked their hardest not to change their brand. And their brand still stinks.
Riggo certainly wasn't cool with it, calling it watching "...your own funeral".
Given Snyder being a marketing guy, I think he knew or had some inkling some of the actions you mention would work exactly as you said.

But given the skeletons in his closet, the new "era" comes with a cremation of the old before advertising the new. They want to push the old fans out. They want guys who bear a grudge to check out of being a fan and go to other teams.

Then when Snyder cleans up the sexual scandal and gets a shiny new stadium, he starts fielding a little better product but not a Super Bowl threat.

Except Snyder seems to be the only owner in professional sports not able to blackmail a city into bending over backwards to give him a stadium deal. In fact, I think Virginia last lowered its bid and Maryland and DC are all but out or offering lowball bids and sketchy locations.

And seriously, why would a state or city want to swallow a billion dollars in bond debt for a team that can't fill its stadium?

I think it is less about not filling the stadium than about the politicians not wanting to get too close to Snyder. While he is insulated by the NFL, politicians don't get that luxury and Snyder is toxic right now.

Except Snyder seems to be the only owner in professional sports not able to blackmail a city into bending over backwards to give him a stadium deal. In fact, I think Virginia last lowered its bid and Maryland and DC are all but out or offering lowball bids and sketchy locations.

And seriously, why would a state or city want to swallow a billion dollars in bond debt for a team that can't fill its stadium?
Plenty of dirt now but the politicians might start up talks again once the settlements start coming in.

He's pushing out all the old fans right now, but eventually, he has to tempt the young and don't-know-any-better guys who haven't been driven to cynicism with a few 10 win seasons just to give hope and hype to sell tickets.

I question if I really should remain loyal myself and just become a guy who hates the other NFC East teams and just appreciate some players all over the league. I do not believe Snyder has the freedom to chase Super Bowls anymore because of "debt" to the other owners covering for him, not that he ever showed the willingness to put his ego aside so a Super Bowl could come here anyway. He wanted a Super Bowl with his cronies and pets, and wouldn't have it any other way. Heck, Haskins, Cerrato, etc are all reflective of that intent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.