• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Existing Personnel Under Shanahan

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score
Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan both talked about getting better internally as well as through the draft and free agency.

We might not have a gauge yet on the players already on the roster because of their use or mis-use under Zorn-Blache-Cerrato:

1. Edwin Williams and Will Montgomery. Both of these guys were thrown to the sharks in 2009 at guard and tackle while both are projected as NFL centers. We have not seen either player take a snap there.

2.Laron Landry was miscast as a free safety because the team had Chris and Reed at SS and the organization didn't want to have to bench them in a position switch. But that decision not only resulted in a less effective Landry but also a missed opportunity to see what Kareem Moore and Lendy Holmes might project to at FS in the future.

3. Clearly Zorn held back on Davis and Thomas for too long a period in 2009. I refuse to believe that both players were clueless and not ready until the moment Cooley went down and ARE needed to be replaced at WR. Then after that both were all of a sudden productive? These players could have done more in 2009 if Zorn had allowed them to get on the field.

4. Brian Orakpo was able to survive at strongside LB due to his athletic ability and produced 11 sacks. But there is no question in my mind that with Brian at DE and a true SAM on the roster, brian would have produced more sacks and turnovers and the defense would have been better against the pass in the short and intermediate zones.

5. Darrell Green vouched for Tryon after working out with him last offseason as an outside cover corner. The Redskins lined him up inside in the slot and his performances were uneven. Will he play better in his more natural position on the outside in 2010?

6. The Redskins record on punt and kickoff returns was atrocious in 2009.Devin Thomas is only 24 and was used too infrequently on kick returns because Zorn didn't want to step on Cartwright's toes. Ditto on punts where the Redskins had two players in Hall and Moss that are legitimate threats and yet ARE kept the job all season. Another area where things can and should improve from within.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I'm sure I'm stating the obvious but offseason workouts, OTA's and Training Camp will take on a new meaning this year for a LOT of players. Hopefully, one of the Defensive coaches can help clue Shanahan in on those guys that were out of position.

Landry was absolutely horrible all season. He made a few plays, but GB didn't do him any favors by playing him out of position. One thing that's going to be interesting to watch is what we'll do at the Kicker position. Will we regret letting Suisham go or is Gano our guy?

Suisham simply fails to make field goals in pressure situations. You can't keep that kind of player on the football team.

If the Redskins were behind 20-7 and driving, Suisham had no trouble hitting a 45 yarder to bring the score to 20-10 because there was no pressure on him.

But get him in the fourth quarter with all the marbles on the line and he crumbles.

Gano has a strong leg but limited experience.

While admitting it was an inferior league, he did kick a pressure FG in the title game of 46 yards to secure the victory.

He is 25 and will get a shot from Shanahan to keep his job.

Well, if Bobby April comes to DC as the special teams coach expect things to improve.

This guy really gets his players up to play week in and week out.

I would love to see Bobby April hired. While I like Danny Smith's fire, I just refuse to believe that our return units couldn't have been more productive. I mean, we sign ARE who was a very, very good PR and all of the sudden with the Skins he regresses to the point of being one of the worst in the league. That can't be all on him IMO.

1. Edwin Williams and Will Montgomery. Both of these guys were thrown to the sharks in 2009 at guard and tackle while both are projected as NFL centers. We have not seen either player take a snap there.
Depth issues and age issues among the OL means these guys have a definite shot at staying on.
2.Laron Landry was miscast as a free safety because the team had Chris and Reed at SS and the organization didn't want to have to bench them in a position switch. But that decision not only resulted in a less effective Landry but also a missed opportunity to see what Kareem Moore and Lendy Holmes might project to at FS in the future.
He may have been out of position, but even when they moved Landry close to the line I saw teams consistently shift to isolate him on a TE or RB and burned him accordingly. He doesn't look to be competent in either position at this point, teams know it, and consistently abuse him. I think his draftposition and the fact that we can't replace as many positions as we have to in one offseason means he stays. I'll cross my fingers he isn't ruined by now
3. Clearly Zorn held back on Davis and Thomas for too long a period in 2009. I refuse to believe that both players were clueless and not ready until the moment Cooley went down and ARE needed to be replaced at WR. Then after that both were all of a sudden productive? These players could have done more in 2009 if Zorn had allowed them to get on the field.
Definite keepers. I can see Shanahan molding Davis into a Shannon Sharpe type threat.. he's got soft hands and good RAC instincts. Unfortunately at this juncture he also has a hard head to go along with his soft hands. He has a fumbling issue, and a maddening habit of popping a miss up in the air to be intercepted. Both correctable. I think he's made Cooley trade bait. I'd test the waters and see if we can't get a 2nd for him . I won't take less, but it's worth looking into.
4. Brian Orakpo was able to survive at strongside LB due to his athletic ability and produced 11 sacks. But there is no question in my mind that with Brian at DE and a true SAM on the roster, brian would have produced more sacks and turnovers and the defense would have been better against the pass in the short and intermediate zones.
DEFINITELY need linebackers. Fletcher isn't getting any younger, and even though Blades has shown promise, he's still a mystery in a permanent role. McIntosh is solid, but he's the only OLB on the roster. Orakpo is clearly superior in his natural DE position, and Chris Wilson as a sub DE can be quite disruptive in opposing backfields. Move them both back where they thrive.

5. Darrell Green vouched for Tryon after working out with him last offseason as an outside cover corner. The Redskins lined him up inside in the slot and his performances were uneven. Will he play better in his more natural position on the outside in 2010?
Hope so,, as you said, he was spotty, but all things considered i thought he was more positive then negative.
6. The Redskins record on punt and kickoff returns was atrocious in 2009.Devin Thomas is only 24 and was used too infrequently on kick returns because Zorn didn't want to step on Cartwright's toes. Ditto on punts where the Redskins had two players in Hall and Moss that are legitimate threats and yet ARE kept the job all season. Another area where things can and should improve from within.
Lets Make Josh Cribbs happy. He will definitely return the favor in many different ways. He's a great returner, a decent WR and runs well in the Wildcat. He's fast, agile and breaks tackles. Devin Thomas showed himself well as a WR, and I say let him concentrate on that unless we can find no one else.
ARE has to go. Rock is a good special teamer.. but not a good return man.

~Bang

Signing Cribbs? Interesting but haven't we been down that road before...? Sign a veteran player looking for the big payout . I like everything about the guy except he doesn't want to honor his existing contract and chooses to air it out in the media. I understand that the Browns lowballed him but they just fired one Gm and replaced him with another.

Just because we've made mistakes in the past doesn't mean all signings are bad. We've had some damn good ones as well.
Josh Cribbs is one of the most dynamic players in the game from a lot of different positions, and on a team that is not very good. I think what he's shown is it isn't a system or a fluke that he can do what he does. He's very versatile, and he's a serious weapon.

~Bang

The problem I have with Cribbs-type players is that they have such a small window of "amazing." Look at all the great return guys recently. Hester, Hall, Randle-El - they all had 2-3 years of excellence, then basically disappeared into mediocrity. We can give Cribbs the $$ he wants, but it will probably be a 1 or 2-year rental, if we're lucky.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

The thing about Cribbs is he's showing he's much more than a return man, and his other skills are not those of a gadget player.
And unlike Randel El, he's well over 3 feet tall.
Considering how low the Browns have valued him, breaking the bank won't really be necessary.

~Bang

If Cribbs is let go he won't settle for anything resembling his present contract...That being said I don't think he will be let go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.