• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

ESPN Power Rankings

servumtuum

The Owner's Favorite
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Indiana
I ran across the latest ESPN pre-season power rankings and they're..."interesting". Listing the Colts and Saints #1, and #2, respectively doesn't come as much of a surprise but Dallas at #4 does.

They've moved the Redskins from #29 to #20, as they stated, based on the acquisition of McNabb, saying in their comments that he should be good for one more TD per game. Also notable is their rankings of Ney York and Philly-#16 and #17, a bit low possibly.

Anyway, here's the link, for what it's worth.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings?year=2010&week=0

Hmmm...I guess downgrading your OLine is a reason to be ranked #4 overall in the NFL. My my, ESPN, you challenged my general football knowledge yet again.

Two things strike me in this Top 5. First, it always frustrates me as a Redskins' homer how the media, especially ESPN, are so biased toward the cowgirls. The Green Bay Packers is a better team than the girls!!!! On the AFC side of the ball, the NY Jets are better than the Cowboys and Ravens for that matter.

Second, I think they over rate the Ravens. I think this is the season that Flacco is exposed as the average QB he is. He has been riding the defense and running game for 2 years. The expectations are going to be much higher now that they got him high quality receivers. I don't think Flacco is bad, just not as great as everybody thinks he is. They are a quality squad, but top 5? I don't know.

Second, I think they over rate the Ravens. I think this is the season that Flacco is exposed as the average QB he is. He has been riding the defense and running game for 2 years. The expectations are going to be much higher now that they got him high quality receivers. I don't think Flacco is bad, just not as great as everybody thinks he is. They are a quality squad, but top 5? I don't know.

I have to respectfully disagree with you there. The Ravens are stacked, and are going to play in the AFCCG. Will they represent the AFC in the superbowl? I don't think so...but they currently have an over/under of 10 wins on Bodog.com, and I'm going to lay some money on the over. :)

It's the big media story....."Dallas hosting the SB and the Cowboys plan on being there".

Outside of camping outside of Brett Favre's house, this is one of the more stupid stories made up by ESPN.

Frankly I'd put the Saints, Colts, Jets, Vikings, Packers and Ravens ahead of Dallas and depending on how SD is doing them as well.

People are writing Dallas in as the NFCE Champs already. Those people clearly don't pay much attention as the Giants, Cowboys and Eagles have fought for NFCE dominance over the past 5+ years with each getting a piece of the pie at some point.

Expect the Redskins to finally make a play for their share in 2010. This will not be a walk in the park for Dallas and there is no guarantee who will walk out of the NFCE after the dust settles.

It could be any of the 4 teams at this point.

I have to respectfully disagree with you there. The Ravens are stacked, and are going to play in the AFCCG. Will they represent the AFC in the superbowl? I don't think so...but they currently have an over/under of 10 wins on Bodog.com, and I'm going to lay some money on the over. :)

Take the over. The Steelers have some serious problems and I'm not the least bit sold on the Bengals. I have the Ravens winning 12-13 games.

As for the Superbowl. If the Ravens face the Colts in the AFCC then the Colts will be going to Dallas. If it's the Jets, Patriots or Chargers......flip a coin.

Getting back to the Cowbums for a moment, thanks to the neat NFL schedule rotation everybody in the NFC East gets the Vikings and Packers and Dallas plays the Vikes at Minnesota and the Packers at Lambeau field.

At Lambeau in November. At night. In the open air.

Green Bay averages 22 days in the month of November below freezing.

Tee-hee.:beam:

Getting back to the Cowbums for a moment, thanks to the neat NFL schedule rotation everybody in the NFC East gets the Vikings and Packers and Dallas plays the Vikes at Minnesota and the Packers at Lambeau field.

At Lambeau in November. At night. In the open air.

Green Bay averages 22 days in the month of November below freezing.

Tee-hee.:beam:

:laugh: It looks like you take pleasure in the same thing I do, the demise of the dreaded enemy.

Lanky, I agree that the Ravens are playoff bound. They will likely win the AFC North unless the Bengals come to play this season, especially since the Steelers look like they are about to implode! Top 5? Maybe, but I see Flacco being the weakest link on the team, not a good position to have the weakest link. Their secondary is suspect as well, but they will adjust for that with the talent up front. AFC Championship game? Not sure. Likely the Jets, Colts and/or some surprise team. Titans?

And I would definitely take that bet! In fact...

personally i love it when they dont rank us high. i always like being the underdog with a chip on my shoulder. people out here all tell me "you must be a real fan to root for the Skins" and I am. and im one with an attitude.
I'm the same way. I get extra nervous when people are ranking us higher (although it's been so long since that's happened, I'm relying on a foggy memory!). I'd much rather have the pressure taken off by being the disrespected underdog.

I used to hate being the favorite against division teams or in the playoffs.

4-12 teams don't deserve to be ranked higher than #20.

That said, pre-season rankings and a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee. :)

Actually, the more I think about it, the happier I am the Cowboys are ranked so high. It will be that much better to see their hopes and dreams CRUSHED once again. :)
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Actually, the more I think about it, the happier I am the Cowboys are ranked so high. It will be that much better to see their hopes and dreams CRUSHED once again. :)
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Yup! Mediocrity sucks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.