• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

ESPN Mag: A Thin Line Between Love and Hate (Snyder story)

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Well, this is quite the read....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8...-dan-snyder-writer-dave-mckenna-espn-magazine

This story appears in ESPN The Magazine's Oct. 15 DC Issue

CONSIDER TWO REDSKINS fans. They are locals -- one from Rockville, Md., the other from Falls Church, Va. -- not only of the same generation but of the same generation of Redskins fans, introduced to the team in the losing 1960s, faithful throughout the uneven '70s and rewarded with Super Bowls in the '80s. For them, the Redskins are not just a way of life but a way through life -- a way to learn about love, holding the old man's hand at RFK or downing bowls of Mom's homemade Redskins chili; about death, when Vince Lombardi passed away; about geographical hatred, when George Allen waged war on the city of Dallas; about pain, when Joe Theismann fractured his leg; and about community, from the unified joy of three championships.

At first, neither aspired to be anything other than a fan. But by 1999, through opportunity and luck, both came to be custodians of a sort for the team they adored, one as the owner, the other as a writer. Both were outsiders, and both approached their jobs as unabashed fans, different from most in their professions. Through the responsibility of ownership and the coverage of ownership, they flaunted that love -- so much that it seemed inevitable not only that their paths would intersect but also that their connection to the Redskins would be altered. All because, as fans, they went too far...
The author appears to fall fairly clearly on one side of that line.

Interesting read, from a human interest story perspective. Some interesting insights into both men.

Nicely written but falls into the "water over the dam" category to me.

My axe was buried a while back.

Crazy good read. Thanks for posting

You know what? I can't seem to comment on this without sounding angry so I'm not gonna.

I'm with Kev. Thought it was a great read, and an honest portrait of Snyder.

I am not one of Dave McKenna's biggest fans.

The vague reference to "Redskins PR flack" in there hits a little close to home, Goal. McKenna went after a couple of Extremeskins admins in a very personal way.

Old news though...I'm with Henry. Life's too short to pick at old scabs.

Oh, I gotcha. Sorry guys. For what it's worth, we all think you guys are top shel... er, middle shelf!

:D

I don't think either side handled that situation well. The City Paper's article and their reaction wasn't in any better taste than Snyder's was.

I also love the jabs at suing a 72 year old grandma. as if that's the whole story or something. You can tell right there what side someone is on. I imagine that version of the story will never go away.

It was an interesting read, but for as long as that article is it didn't really provide any insight that anyone following the organization didn't already have. Likewise it didn't really go out of it's way to avoid some exaggerated yet often used criticisms of Snyder.

Much of the war between the local media and Snyder started with some really petty stuff (on both sides.) The local media agenda never gets much play, and any time someone brings it up they get ridiculed for being a Snyder sympathizer. The local media isn't without it's own criticism in how they've worked with Snyder since he got here.

Last edited by a moderator:
aside from hearing some of the stories of the way he treated some long time employees, I have always respected the fact that Snyder was willing to put his own money on the line to make us better, i just wish he was better at spending it effectively

I don't think either side handled that situation well. The City Paper's article and their reaction wasn't in any better taste than Snyder's was.

I also love the jabs at suing a 72 year old grandma. as if that's the whole story or something. You can tell right there what side someone is on. I imagine that version of the story will never go away.

It was an interesting read, but for as long as that article is it didn't really provide any insight that anyone following the organization didn't already have. Likewise it didn't really go out of it's way to avoid some exaggerated yet often used criticisms of Snyder.

Much of the war between the local media and Snyder started with some really petty stuff (on both sides.) The local media agenda never gets much play, and any time someone brings it up they get ridiculed for being a Snyder sympathizer. The local media isn't without it's own criticism in how they've worked with Snyder since he got here.
Excellent analysis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.