• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

ESPN Last Dance - Chicago Bulls

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Just watched the first installment of the 10-part series.

Wasn't sure what to expect on this one. I've watched just about every MJ / Bulls documentary, highlight, etc., out there. Watching Jordan in real time, as an adult able to appreciate his once-in-a lifetime gifts, I've never been shy about telling young people and non-basketball fans who didn't have that opportunity just how magical it all was. Even for a non-Bulls fan.

I can't imagine what it would have been like to have this guy on MY team, and chances are I won't experience anything like that in my lifetime. Few ever will. Patriots fans can probably relate, maybe Celtics or Lakers fans from the Bird / Magic era (even if not quite to that level) ... maybe some Argentina or Brazil soccer fans from over the years. Maybe Yankees fans from way back in the day. But that's about it.

This is good. It conveys the real-time power of what MJ did and meant.

Anyway ... I'll be recommending this series to anyone I know--sports fan or not--who can recognize and appreciate transcendence.

This has been all over Twitter. For some reason it seemed to ignite a 'Who is the greatest ever?' debate (Jordan vs. Lebron). Personally, I don't think it's close. I've never had any real interest in Pro Basketball, although I attended my fair share of Bullets games back in the day. But Om's recommendation makes me want to check it out.

• Fist Bump
Reactions: Om
as a guy who loves the "glory days of the NBA" back when they actually played physical and hard; I am looking forward to this.

there is NO question who is better. It is Jordan. LeBum wears 23 as honor. Lebum jumped team to team looking for a ring. Jordan stayed when the Celtics and Pistons were both dominating and took over.

Never been a huge watcher of B-ball. Mostly playoffs and Championships. If I did watch.
Did enjoy the Bullets whooping Seattle's ass 378 years ago. When the fat lady sang.

Wasn't a big Jordan fan at first. He was just another ball hoggin hot dog when he hit the league. Did little to be a TEAM guy.
But he discovered how to, and then became a team guy. Without losing his ability to "take over" when he had to. From that point on, he was a joy to watch. I rooted for him, big time then. I'd take him over Lebum (I like that, Mike) any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

Was also a big fan of Magic Johnson. Ultimate team guy.
And Bird. Who proved that dorky lookin white guys could kick your ass, while looking dorky.

All that said, I probably won't watch the series. But I hope it's good. And enjoyed by those who do.

I think the whole Lebron v MJ debate is foolish, they don't play defense in the NBA anymore.

I thought the opening of this was pretty good, a great reminder of how incredible he was, and how his team mates fed off his energy. Like Om said, that's just something you don't see very often.

However, growing up a Terps fan, I cannot help but think if the "Last Dance" would have been possible had Len bias played for the Celtics. That Celtics dynasty likely would have continued well into the 90's when Jordan and the Bulls started winning their's.

Last edited:
Just watched the first installment of the 10-part series.

Wasn't sure what to expect on this one. I've watched just about every MJ / Bulls documentary, highlight, etc., out there. Watching Jordan in real time, as an adult able to appreciate his once-in-a lifetime gifts, I've never been shy about telling young people and non-basketball fans who didn't have that opportunity just how magical it all was. Even for a non-Bulls fan.

I can't imagine what it would have been like to have this guy on MY team, and chances are I won't experience anything like that in my lifetime. Few ever will. Patriots fans can probably relate, maybe Celtics or Lakers fans from the Bird / Magic era (even if not quite to that level) ... maybe some Argentina or Brazil soccer fans from over the years. Maybe Yankees fans from way back in the day. But that's about it.

This is good. It conveys the real-time power of what MJ did and meant.

Anyway ... I'll be recommending this series to anyone I know--sports fan or not--who can recognize and appreciate transcendence.

I finally got around to watching this last night. I saw the first 2 episodes were on before the next two that premiered last night. So I DVR'd all of them and just watched. (It was great being able to fast forward through the commercials.) Growing up, I was a Bullets fan as I remember going to games with my dad at the Capital Centre. But lets face it, they sucked my whole time as a kid so I never got attached to them as I did the Redskins, Orioles and Capitals. As I got older, I started liking the Jazz because I loved watching Stockton and Malone play. So between being a Bullets fan and then starting to like the Jazz, I hated the Bulls at that time. It's a shame too, because being in jr high, high school, and college, I missed out on appreciate the greatness they possessed. Yes, I'm still upset that they took out the Jazz in back to back years, and yes Jordan definitely pushed off against Russell. But the overall greatness of this team would have carried them in Game 7 if necessary. I recommend this series to everyone on here. I think you will find it entertaining, unless you really just hate the NBA. It's also fascinating to see them building how the GM ruined one of the greatest teams of all time all because he didn't like the coach and players. That's obviously something that GMs even today are still doing.

This documentary is incredible. To hear true quotes, true emotions come through not only then but now, is almost unprecedented given the iconic status of those Bulls teams, and of course the greatest player to ever lace em up and play on hardwood. I can't get enough of it. In fact, with the current climate and it's social distancing requirements, I've already re-watched the first four. I know, I really need to get myself a life one of these days.

Reactions: Om
I'm loving the series. I was never an NBA fan, but I love college basketball and have been a Carolina fan my whole life. So of course I grew up a huge MJ fan. When he went to the NBA, I followed the Bulls and watched all the games because of him. When Rodman joined, I thought he was a dick, then I grew to respect what he could do and I became a huge fan of his as well. No way they even win 1 of those last 3 without him IMHO. Dennis Rodman is the worst thing that ever happened to Reggie Miller and Karl Malone. Had he not joined the Bulls, I believe the Pacers and Jazz would have dominated during those years.

On rumors that his retirement was the result of a "secret" suspension by David Stern, brought on by his supposed gambling connection to his father's untimely death, questioned reporter states "how delicate can I be with this; total bullshit. How delicate is that? Can you use that?"

EPIC

Damn. Michael Jordan. The greatest at his game, hands down...but a conflicted individual, who is simultaneously proud of and haunted by his success it seems. For all of his majestic greatness, after watching eps 1-7, I too am not sure I wanna be like Mike. To borrow from the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, "death is lighter than a feather, duty is heavier than a mountain." MJ knows what that feels like, more than I ever will.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.