• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Dr. Terry Wahls - Minding your Mitochondria (Paleo Diet)

• Thread starter Lanky Livingston
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanky Livingston

This is an incredible story - Dr. Terry Wahls had MS, and in 2006 was so disabled she couldn't sit in a normal chair, but had to be reclined in a zero-gravity chair. She switched to a paleo-style diet, and is now fully functional.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc&feature=player_embedded#%21[/media]

I've been pondering the Paleo diet for awhile now, and this video may finally push me over the edge. The only issue is that it takes a lot of work - sourcing grass fed meats is tricky. Farmer's Markets are good, but co-ops are the best bet.

I don't know too much about the paleo diet, but definitely look in to farm shares/CSAs if you are considering it (or even if you're not:)). Some of the CSAs also offer organic/free range/grass fed animals and animal products.

A good rule of thumb is to never believe a sensationalist promotion of anything, because it's usually grossly over exaggerated.

There are two things about this video that scream BS to me.....

1. There is no cure for MS.
2. This is propaganda. She isn't doing this for the good of the people. The production costs alone for this show are very high. That means the only way the good old doc does it, is if there is a return on the investment. Anyone trying to profit under the guise of "helping others" is an automatic and blatant red flag.

Not only that, but what can be so good about a diet the cavemen lived on? I mean think about it - it sounds good at first, until you realized that the life expectancy back then was about 25 years. How great can it really be?

All diets are fads, and this one is no different. If there was a diet that worked, and didn't cause health issues, everyone would do it.

I think one of two things is a certainty - she either had other treatment that was responsible for her recovery, and the diet was a coincidental side note, or she never had MS to begin with.

Ex, you must not be familiar with the Ted Talks. And if you think that is high production cost, then you must think this is a high-budget special effect:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSnIt51Ng-M[/media]

EDIT: Also, life expectancy of cavemen had a lot to do with them not being at the top of the food chain.

I don't know too much about the paleo diet, but definitely look in to farm shares/CSAs if you are considering it (or even if you're not:)). Some of the CSAs also offer organic/free range/grass fed animals and animal products.

I will check on those in the Houston area. There's so much cattle out here, there has to be a good one for beef, at least.

For anyone interested, here is a great resource for the paleo diet. He's now calling it the Archevore diet. http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

whatever helps someone feel healthy and live better I am for. Ive seen the Subway diet work for people, south beach, running 50K races, etc. I think its just what fits your lifestyle and how you live.

and thats why i drink beer..lol

Mmmmm....beeeerrrrr....

Ex, you must not be familiar with the Ted Talks. And if you think that is high production cost, then you must think this is a high-budget special effect:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSnIt51Ng-M[/media]

EDIT: Also, life expectancy of cavemen had a lot to do with them not being at the top of the food chain.
You might not think the production costs are high, but try and organize a similar event. A lot more goes into it than you realize, a whole lot more.

You have camera crews, sound crews, promotion costs, crew costs, stage construction and breakdown, permits and inspections, organizational expenses, distribution, licensing, research, testing, etc. The list goes on and on, and something that looks affordable easily starts at around $100,000. Nothing is free.

And you can try acting like an adult once in a while by participating in a discussion instead of constantly responding by throwing in a jab just because someone doesn't agree with your view. I know for a fact you have driven people away from this site by doing the same thing to them. I know, because they've specifically told me that's the reason they don't login anymore. It gets old, give it a rest.

You might not think the production costs are high, but try and organize a similar event. A lot more goes into it than you realize, a whole lot more.

You have camera crews, sound crews, promotion costs, crew costs, stage construction and breakdown, permits and inspections, organizational expenses, distribution, licensing, research, testing, etc. The list goes on and on, and something that looks affordable easily starts at around $100,000. Nothing is free.

And you can try acting like an adult once in a while by participating in a discussion instead of constantly responding by throwing in a jab just because someone doesn't agree with your view. I know for a fact you have driven people away from this site by doing the same thing to them. I know, because they've specifically told me that's the reason they don't login anymore. It gets old, give it a rest.

Your sense of humor, its broken! I was responding your post - it was a TED talk - Dr. Wahl didn't pay for this, its not propaganda. The TED talks are a venue for people to express their ideas on a wide-ranging variety of topics. They have some really interesting talks - check them out: http://www.ted.com/talks

Maybe instead of taking everything I post as a jab you can see it as what it was meant to be - a little humor. Also, try to keep the personal stuff out of your posts. I guarantee THAT drives away more people than anything I do.

You guys really need to stop. Please.

I'm asking nicely ok?

A good rule of thumb is to never believe a sensationalist promotion of anything, because it's usually grossly over exaggerated.

There are two things about this video that scream BS to me.....

1. There is no cure for MS.
2. This is propaganda. She isn't doing this for the good of the people. The production costs alone for this show are very high. That means the only way the good old doc does it, is if there is a return on the investment. Anyone trying to profit under the guise of "helping others" is an automatic and blatant red flag.

Not only that, but what can be so good about a diet the cavemen lived on? I mean think about it - it sounds good at first, until you realized that the life expectancy back then was about 25 years. How great can it really be?

All diets are fads, and this one is no different. If there was a diet that worked, and didn't cause health issues, everyone would do it.

I think one of two things is a certainty - she either had other treatment that was responsible for her recovery, and the diet was a coincidental side note, or she never had MS to begin with.

Nah, natural is a great way to go, but it is extra work and a lot more expensive. If you read histories of food, you will find a lot of our health problems started popping up with the advent of preservatives and high fructose corn syrup and other nasty things. Michael Pollan's got some great books on the subject.

I agree with you about diets being fads, but the principles of some of these fads are very useful and helpful.

Settle down.

For what it's worth, if Lanky scared off people that easily, do we really want them around? :)

Yes, I am familiar with the story.

Yes, my diet is very natural and heavily supervised.

Yes, phyto-nutrients are a part of my everyday routine.

Yes, there are certain exercise routines that are followed each week - and daily.

Yes, some my medical endeavors are experimental and fully authorized by the FDA.

There will never be a cure, but various vaccines (like we see for polio) could be discovered along the way. I am hopeful.

The good fight continues.

Nah, natural is a great way to go, but it is extra work and a lot more expensive. If you read histories of food, you will find a lot of our health problems started popping up with the advent of preservatives and high fructose corn syrup and other nasty things. Michael Pollan's got some great books on the subject.

I agree with you about diets being fads, but the principles of some of these fads are very useful and helpful.
I agree with the timing of the major health problems. There are so many things over the years that have occured around the same time man-made things became commonplace.

My dad pointed out one time that when he was growing up in Carolina in the early 50's, just about everybody drank well water. You didn't have too many places in the country with treated water like we have today. When you look at the timeline for when treated water started becoming more the norm than the exception, it was oddly the same time cancer rates went up 10 fold.

Then when you look at the 70's when everything started making a major push from glass/metal to plastics, autism went from extremely rare to excessively more prevalent than in the past.

There are so many examples of things coinciding with disease rates increasing, that it's hard to pinpoint exactly where it all started. As far as the foods go, you are absolutely right about the preservatives. The only problem I have, is so many people think organics are the answer. The problem with that, is while a lot of it tends to be preservative free, the natural processes they use for a lot of organic foods are more harmful to your body and the environment than the chemical processes for fruits and vegetables were.

I know from working so long in landscaping, that a lot of what people consider chemical and commercial fertilizers, are rarely ever more than iron and nitrogen. Some time in the mid to late 90's, things started making a big switch to natural fertilizers. Most of them consist of pure ****, literally. The problem with feces, is they contain high concentrations of methane and urea, which are both worse for your body and the environment than nitrogen and iron. Since the push for natural fertilizer started, fish kills along waterways has increased excessively, and rates of gout and related disorders has gone up off the charts. Since gout is due to an increase in uric acid levels, which occurs at a rate of 90% in most cases for organic and natural fertilizers, it tends to point to that being a possible link.

Then you have the added problem of preservative free foods having a very shortened shelf life, and it raises the prices of things. If everything went to that method, food prices would be triple what they are now, and they're already too high.

As far as the diets go, I have asked three doctors what diet they recommend. They seem to all have the same response - don't do any diets, because the main benefit is weight loss, but you give up so much more that you need in exchange, which leads to health problems.

You have a lot of diets that tell you to cut out sugar. When you do that, since your body requires sugar, it starts to try taking it by breaking down every carb you take in. When you get to the point where your body needs more than you're taking in, your body robs the reserves, which are in your organs, and that's no good. Then you have the people that do the Atkins thing, which long term will lead to ketosis, and the possibility of kidney and liver failure. Then you have high protein diets that put stress on your heart and liver. It seems to me from a lot of research I've done on various diets, that the risks always seem to heavily outweigh the benefits.

The simple fact is, if we could all afford to eat preservative free food, and only take in natural sugars, and eat lean meats and get off our asses and work out once in a while, we'd be just fine. The paleo diet seems like a decent start to that idea, but it doesn't take into account the things your body needs to function, and the levels that you need of them. A perfect example being the whole no sodium approach. I promise you that having no sodium in your diet will absolutely 100% kill you. Your body needs sodium because it is an important electrolyte, and if you aren't taking any in, you are slowly but surely committing suicide.

My point is basically don't believe the hype of any diet, because they all exist to make somebody money. Instead, do some research on human biology and what makes us function, what harms us, and base your diet off of that. there isn't a diet I've seen in my life that doesn't tell you to completely cut out something you need to survive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing to see here, please move along. - Management

Nothing to see here, please move along. - Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.