• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Dr. Andrews says Griffin was never cleared to re-enter game

Jugband McGillicuddy

The Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
Rival Allegiance
Alma Mater
Marshall
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/06/dr-andrews-says-rg3-was-never-cleared-to-re-enter-game/?utm_medium=twitter

Renowned sports surgeon Dr. James Andrews serves as one of the Redskins’ game-day physicians. That relationship could now be in danger, grave or otherwise.

Andrews admits to USA Today that he never cleared quarterback Robert Griffin III to re-enter a Week 15 game against the Ravens, after Griffin suffered a knee injury that looked much worse than it ended up being. Griffin skipped one play, re-entered the game, and then exited for good several snaps later.

“He didn’t even let us look at him,” Andrews tells Robert Klemko of USA Today. “He came off the field, walked through the sidelines, circled back through the players, and took off back to the field. It wasn’t our opinion.

I think we all knew this, but still, coming from James Andrews, this is pretty sobering. And for him to say that he's been "scared to death" to have Griffin playing, well, I don't even know what to say about that.

Anyway, this should put to rest the idea that Griffin is playing possum. :twocents:

Hard to clear a player you never even looked at anyway...

Absolutely, Reic. I just think when you employ someone like Dr. Andrews, you let him do his job. He's recognized, unequivocally, as the best at what he does. I admire Griffin's desire to get back in there. But don't give the good doctor a reason to walk.

Absolutely, Reic. I just think when you employ someone like Dr. Andrews, you let him do his job. He's recognized, unequivocally, as the best at what he does. I admire Griffin's desire to get back in there. But don't give the good doctor a reason to walk.

Griff thought he could tough it out and he sure as hell tried. I'm sure players downplay injury all the time to stay on the field. Once Griff couldn't bear it anymore he let Dr. Andrews do his thing.

Why should the good doctor be so butt hurt about it?

Yeah, I suspect there's more to this story than we know right now. Seems like odd timing for this to be coming out right now at the very least. I'll reserve judgment for a bit.

Griff thought he could tough it out and he sure as hell tried. I'm sure players downplay injury all the time to stay on the field. Once Griff couldn't bear it anymore he let Dr. Andrews do his thing.

Why should the good doctor be so butt hurt about it?

Because it affects the players health and his own professional credibility. We were all surprised he went back in and most wanted him sat. I understand Roberts motivation But it was a bad decision. Based on the injury he should not have been allowed back in. The fact that mike says Andrews gave the ok hurts the Dr. For sure. Makes him look to have blown it on the initial exam. Sounds like a warning they are playing with fire with his knee and there has been more risk than publicly acknowledged, unsurprisingly.

I'm hoping it was just an assumption on Shanahan's part that Andrews cleared him to go back in and not a blatant lie. It wouldn't even surprise me if Griff told Mike that Andrews cleared him just so he could go back in. That would make more sense.

In any event, to me this throws out the idea of Griff playing possum and that he's gonna throw off the brace at some point in the game and play like gangbusters. I'm hoping he's as effective as he was against Philly instead of looking hobbled like he did against Dallas.

Now we see this Andrews thing coming up on NFL Today with JB talking to that idiot JLC. This could get ugly. :(

Yup. Ugly for sure. I was hoping we'd seen the last of this type of foolishness. Thinks were chaotic when he came off. I'm sure Mike thought he got the OK. Just unfortunate this couldn't have been handled outside the media. I'm sure Mike will be dealing with it in his post game presser. Or maybe this is just a bike Mike plot to throw the Seahawks more off balance on the injury only to have RG run out sans brace. The ultimate Possum Ploy. :) haha

Just smells like icing on the Possum cake to me. RG3 300+yds passing 100+yards rushing today!!!!

I'm always pretty suspicious about these kinds of stories that appear out of nowhere just before something like the playoffs,championship,election or similar occasion. I think RG3 has been under the microscope for the last several games. I don't see how this story got glossed over a month ago as undiscovered and under reported. There seems to always have someones personal agenda attached to these kind of stories.

I'd like to hear Andrews actually say Shanny lied, especially coming from PFT. If this were true and the 'Skins were monkeying around like this, John Mara would have had Goodell on the phone right after Ratbirds game trying anything he could.

Nick

As a veteran coach with a long resume including Super Bowls, one would think like Gibbs that he would be responsible in his decision-making in re personnel.

I can remember him keeping Joe Jacoby out of the lineup when he had a dislocated elbow because he couldn't raise his arm over his should to block.

What do you do, just let a guy go out there and get vaporized against Reggie White and Jerome Brown?

Total loss of confidence in the decision-making here in re Griffin.

The one question I would have for Andrews in fairness is why did it take 4 weeks for you to clarify things?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I'm already hearing radio folks misreading this over the air and thinking this all happened yesterday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.