• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Doug Williams and Dwayne Haskins on being a 'Black QB'...

They’ve moved him to a much less impactful role that he’s probably better suited for. I’d keep that in mind. Just because he’s not a future GM or top executive mind doesn’t mean he brings nothing of value to the table.

I can't think of one thing he has done that brings value. I get that I don't like him, but even unbiased I can't point at one thing and say "that is because of Doug Williams"

hes a VP in our front office. there has to be SOMETHING, right?

Well to be fair - we’re not there and have no idea what he does or doesn’t do :) I really doubt they just keep him around and pay him a big salary just because he knows how to work the coffee pot ...

Come on, man. we are talking about Dan Snyder. You don't think he would keep an unqualified person in the FO just because he likes them?

LOL...I kid. But, to me,Doug is just one of those guys who somehow got in the position he is in now and we are stuck with him.

Mike...I find the whole thread somewhat lacking in detail. I know that Williams played well and not just for the Redskins. Good enough, in fact, for Joe Gibbs to turn to him. He coached. But, for all the braying, can someone point to bad decisions he has made in his current role that have hurt the team? Can someone point to dysfunctional behaviors that have typified the Skins for lo these many decades? Some claim he holds an honorary position. That, of course, implicitly impugns his character - a whole different conversation. Was a factor Snyder attaching himself to past glories? Of course. But that doesn't mean he has been a failure. It doesn't mean he hasn't accomplished things beyond the media glare. I don't know any more than anyone else. I do know that he has been the least of the Skins' problems since he arrived. Personally, I have no problems with Williams in his current role. I don't think one video defines the man - especially since there are no other similar memes in his past that we are aware of . I'm all for destroying most of what the Skins have become since 1992. But WIlliams?

Mike...I find the whole thread somewhat lacking in detail. I know that Williams played well and not just for the Redskins. Good enough, in fact, for Joe Gibbs to turn to him. He coached. But, for all the braying, can someone point to bad decisions he has made in his current role that have hurt the team? Can someone point to dysfunctional behaviors that have typified the Skins for lo these many decades? Some claim he holds an honorary position. That, of course, implicitly impugns his character - a whole different conversation. Was a factor Snyder attaching himself to past glories? Of course. But that doesn't mean he has been a failure. It doesn't mean he hasn't accomplished things beyond the media glare. I don't know any more than anyone else. I do know that he has been the least of the Skins' problems since he arrived. Personally, I have no problems with Williams in his current role. I don't think one video defines the man - especially since there are no other similar memes in his past that we are aware of . I'm all for destroying most of what the Skins have become since 1992. But WIlliams?

but, can you name ONE thing he HAS done that you can point that can justify him in that role? Just one. You are defending him so you must have a reason outside of him being a "decent QB". His play on the field has nothing at all to do with him in the front office. If that was the case we would bring Riggo and the boys in for jobs.

No way we can know what Doug does at the Park every day. Good or bad.

At some point one either decides to doubt everything the team does, or allows for the possibility moves we don’t like or understand might actually have a reason or benefit outside our field of vision.

I'm comfortable being the latter. Doug has never done a thing in the league to warrant a VP job in any front office.

That you know of.

It just seems like a weird time to be concerned about it - Rivera and Smith having moved him to much more of a PR/'culture-building' role. I think some assume that means he had no skills on the football side but I seriously doubt that's what it means. I think the obvious reason they moved him into his new role is that they wanted the decision-making hierarchy to be clear and not muddied. It's Rivera and Kyle Smith's show - period. Folks assume that moving Williams away from football decision-making is an indication he had no value there. I'm not sure that's why his role was changed. I do believe that Williams being so close to Snyder may have also factored into that move. Not saying he's running to Dan sharing private information, but the change may have been one way for Rivera to communicate to the owner that he was going to structure his front office the way he wanted, regardless of the owner's opinions or past history.

One thing those of us who aren't black under-appreciate is that there is inherent value in giving talented African Americans opportunities in areas they've mostly been shut out of in the past - in this case upper level management or executive positions. It took decades for talented black coaches to get the opportunities they deserved. There are very few black NFL executives. I'm not talking about token-ism. It would be hard to argue that a guy who has done nothing BUT be immersed in NFL and college football his entire life brings nothing to the table. I do think promoting African American talent into executive positions is important and a good thing. And again - none of us could accurately detail what all of the front office folks do on a daily basis - or if those things really bring the value their salaries warrant. They're executives. By definition, they likely aren't worth half of what they are paid :) Doesn't mean that Williams is just a seat filler though.

Mike...I think he is involved in the background interfacing with the players and "smoothing" things. I also believe he has been involved in player evaluations and recommendations. Per my previous post, this really isn't where my attention is focused when it comes to staffing and management. To dig up old bones, what has Turner's son done to earn an OC title? Not much in my book - practically nothing. But one moves on. You drew the example of a VP from your current job. I'll present another from a world you know well: there are plenty Officers wearing shoulderboards with stars who are there for politacl reasons and not accomplishment. It happens in all walks of life. Whether that is the case for DW I don't know. I suspect only partially.

Last edited by a moderator:
Al...Like I said...not one thing we can say "he did that". Sorry, but all he has is being a black QB in a super bowl and the ear of the owner in my book.

Doug is sitting in the OP here talking about being black and pulling a race card which is why I asked the question. If he would have ONE thing to offer besides that; there wold be no question from me at all.

I do agree with John's last post though. I am also not going to continue the back and forth. I've proven what I had to say and it is OK with me if nobody agrees. I am OK with being the latter ;)

It's a good conversation. And I'll say this... if Williams contributions were perceived by the current leadership as crucial, he'd be moving up the chain of command, not down it. That's absolutely valid. I also think it's possible that he does have Dan's ear, and it's even possible he's been the (or one of the) 'sources' through which stuff has been leaked out to the media in the past. I'm not saying that's so, and I have no evidence of it. But there have been times where stuff only someone at that level would know has come out, and I've wondered if it could be coming from him. You just never know what exactly is going on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.