• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Does Ryan Torain remind you of Riggo

fuji869

The Rookie
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
Is it me or does Ryan Torain’s running style remind you a little of John Riggins? The way he hits piles and runs over defenders, I saw it on the TD he scored in the game in Philly last season and his 2nd qtr TD today.

In the 1980s we had the Diesel maybe in the 2010s we can have the All Torain Vehicle!

No, he doesn't remind me of Riggins, but I have to say I think he is better than Hightower. It seemed like Hightower was missing the holes again today, although they were not very big. He doesn't appear to have the vision that Torain and Helu have.

When Torain was in there, he cut back for some nice chunks of terrain! Yup! I said it. :laugh:

I admit I was wrong about Torain. I still think having three backs is absolutely necessary with him, given his injury history. But he sure looked like a powerful runner, and probable starter yesterday. Maybe 16-20 snaps a game, with HT and Helu splitting another 10-12.

I think what we have here is a situation where we can-and likely will-take a "Plug-and-play" approach to RB depending on opponent and situation. Each of the three has running qualities that are unique to them that can be usefully applied in a tactical manner. Add to that the fact that Shanahan has already stated that one thing he's going to do with the RBs is to use more than just one in a game, partially as relief to give whoever starts a breather, and it's probably going to be the norm to see at least two of them every game.

This is a luxury I can definitely say I like us having. :)

He reminds me of a stephen davis.

fast enough to break a run, big enough to bowl someone over if he needs to.
hits holes real well and has that second gear when he squares his shoulders to get through the hole.

hightower seems to be a physical runner but he's slow getting through the hole and honestly seems to have crap vision. if hightower wants to be a main contributor he needs to reach down and find his nuts, and start hitting holes instead of trying to run around the end every time.

oh and how about helu breaking d linemen's ankles?

when he plants that left foot it's like a record coming to an abrupt stop. linemen just fall all over the place.

If Riggo had had RT's speed, he'd have been declared a lethal weapon. :)

Riggo didn't have RT's acceleration or quick change of direction....but the two of them definitely share the quality of being more than happy to run over someone instead of around them.

What remains to be seen of course is whether RT has the gas in the tank Riggo did. Few backs in history have had the heart and sustained power of John Riggins.

The All-Torain Vehicle aka The Gravy Torain aka BEASTMODE does remind me of Riggins a bit, but only a little. I'd agree he's got his own style - and I'd love it if that style included running a little lower in the future. But he is a beast. The Redskins RB stable is morphing into what Shanahan had in Denver all those years; 1000-yard runners that nobody ever heard of. Roy Helu is going to be special once he becomes the feature (I'd say around week 8 or 9, if Hightower's performance continues to be lackluster), his speed & pad position is phenomenal. One of the announcers made the comment that he never hits the hole sideways, his pads are always forward.

Just imagine what Torain could do if he had an OC that knew what to do with him?

If Riggo had had RT's speed, he'd have been declared a lethal weapon. :)

I always thought that Riggo was fast. Not scat-back fast. But fast nonetheless.

Wasn't he a state 100 yard dash champion in high school? Or am I thinking of someone else?

I always thought that Riggo was fast. Not scat-back fast. But fast nonetheless.

Wasn't he a state 100 yard dash champion in high school? Or am I thinking of someone else?
He was straight away fast for his size/strength. Never had the nimble feet Torain does. But, Torain will likely never have the longevity. He's also not as punishing as Riggins was. Don't get me wrong, he can be punishing, just not Riggo punishing.

At Kansas, and with the Jets, he was definitely fast. Even here, he had some top-end speed once he got rolling. Just ask Mr. Blackwood. :)

But by the time we had him, he was heavier and of course older. He was most about power and leverage and finding just enough seam to bust through. And then fall foward for that extra 2 yards that drove opposing DC's crazy and added up to the Riggo Drill and Win.

My recollection anyway.

But by the time we had him, he was heavier and of course older. He was most about power and leverage and finding just enough seam to bust through. And then fall foward for that extra 2 yards that drove opposing DC's crazy and added up to the Riggo Drill and Win.

My recollection anyway.

I'm sure hangovers didn't help much either. :)

At Kansas, and with the Jets, he was definitely fast. Even here, he had some top-end speed once he got rolling. Just ask Mr. Blackwood. :)

My recollection anyway.

Om, my most persistent image of Riggins is that inside the 5 yard line it was pretty much impossible to keep him out of the end zone. Of his 24 rushing TDs in 1983, for example, 21 of them were from the 3 yard line or less. Goal line stands were pretty much a waste of time for opposing teams..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.