• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Does Anyone Else Have A Small Nagging Worry About The Quality Of Our Coaching?

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
How good are our coaches? How good are they compared to their peers?

I don't believe it's easy to use stats when comparing coaches, simply because so much depends on the talent they have to work with. If your roster is weak, your ceiling is low.

I believe the true test of a coach is simply "Do they get the best out of their players? How many players are they able to motivate and teach to play to, or above their potential?"

If you believe that is a fair way to evaluate a coaching staff, how many of our players do you feel are playing to their potential? How many are playing at an extremely high level?

Kerrigan is one player that I feel was exceptional last year. Helu was good, but I believe could have been even better with different coaches. what other players stand out to you?

Are we getting the best out of Orakpo? Would he be doing even better with another team? Or are we the best fit for him?

Do we know what we have in our wide receivers? Do we really know why Anthony Armstrong fell off so quickly? Do we know who Niles Paul is? How good is Austin, and is he in our future? I understand that it's hard to evaluate wide receivers with weak quarterbacks, but Rex threw to Anthony Armstrong two years ago. So what was with his vanishing act?

What are your thoughts on our coaching staff?

I see a lot of people talking bad about Anthony Armstrong. Normally I wouldn't have a problem talking poorly about a player who statistically dropped off the face of the planet, but there isn't justification here. He didn't go anywhere, he just did the best he did with what he had to work with. For starters, your stats can do nothing but decline when you quit getting opportunities. They just rarely threw to him this past season. Not his fault, because we all saw how many times our guys stood out there wide open and waving their arms.

He can do what he wants to get open, but when our sub par QBs have no vision or skill, they can't make him throw them the ball. People talk about Armstrong like he was dropping balls all over the place. Not the case. In fact, he was a responsible for a few of our biggest plays. His YPC average was longer than the longest play of just about anyone else on our roster.

Garbage QBs can make any receiver look like dirt. AA only had 7 catches, but it's not like he was thrown to more than 10 times, because he wasn't.

But more on topic, I think both Shanahans are a joke and would love to see both of them leave. Daddy Shannahan has seen the game pass him by. Kyle just doesn't have what it takes, because he is ignorantly blinded and hard headed because he thinks he is owed something because of who his daddy is. If we replaced them both, I guarantee we'd improve by at least a few wins.

I am worried about the linebackers this year with Slowick as their position coach. He ran a horrible defense in Denver and one could argue with ease that our DBs have been this defenses Achilles heal for two years.

It's a good question, McD. I am incredibly impressed with our new, revamped front office, but I do have some doubts about on-field coaching. I think this is a pretty big year for Shanny. He will finally have someone under center who will not only try to learn the offense (unlike McNabb), but also will have the physical and mental tools to execute it (unlike Rex). Yes, I know he is a rookie, but we still need to see some signs of life, and I suspect we will. I don't think he will be able to come in and be the commanding field general ala Brees, Manning, Rodgers, etc right away, but I will be watching closely for some flashes of brilliance from he and the entire offense.

For a guy whose offense was very mediocre, Kyle has seemed rather stubborn in his time here. But even last year, there were encouraging signs towards the end of the year, as he started running the ball more, which gave Helu and Royster their breakouts. Hopefully that trend continues (running the ball, and Kyle adapting some), because if it doesn't, we're going to have problems. Very rare is it that your personnel line up perfectly with your scheme; great coaches have to adapt. I thought we saw the beginning of that towards the end of last year, but it is something that bears watching, to be sure.

Shanahan seems to have the Universal respect of his peers. The only people that seem to have criticism are scorned ex players and fans, even the media seems to have respect for him with a few exceptions. His player management skills seem to have room for improvement but his rep among his peers for his actual coaching ability coupled with the numbers for both his RB's and any QB that's started more than 2 years for him is enough for me. I'm excited to see what he will do with his 1st top notch Quarterback since Cutler.

I see a lot of people talking bad about Anthony Armstrong. Normally I wouldn't have a problem talking poorly about a player who statistically dropped off the face of the planet, but there isn't justification here. He didn't go anywhere, he just did the best he did with what he had to work with. For starters, your stats can do nothing but decline when you quit getting opportunities. They just rarely threw to him this past season. Not his fault, because we all saw how many times our guys stood out there wide open and waving their arms.

He can do what he wants to get open, but when our sub par QBs have no vision or skill, they can't make him throw them the ball. People talk about Armstrong like he was dropping balls all over the place. Not the case. In fact, he was a responsible for a few of our biggest plays. His YPC average was longer than the longest play of just about anyone else on our roster.

Garbage QBs can make any receiver look like dirt. AA only had 7 catches, but it's not like he was thrown to more than 10 times, because he wasn't.

But more on topic, I think both Shanahans are a joke and would love to see both of them leave. Daddy Shannahan has seen the game pass him by. Kyle just doesn't have what it takes, because he is ignorantly blinded and hard headed because he thinks he is owed something because of who his daddy is. If we replaced them both, I guarantee we'd improve by at least a few wins.

Hmmm. When Our make shift line managed a little consistand play, we had 4 or 5 games with over 100 yards rushing from two rookies, so it seems the coaching is ok in the running game, and the line once there isn't a rotating door of players.

You say that .receivers running open, so the coaching must be doing something right there. The D has gotten better, and will get even better with a few pieced . Short of a solid qb, we're not lost in the woods, and that will be addressed soon enough.

So you figure replacing the coaches will give us a few more wins.... more often then not, a major change in coaching and system doesn't bring instant success

our Linebacker coaches scare me, our \oline coach scares me, our receivers coach scares me, our DC needs to be upgraded, and im not sold on our specials guys. im on a holiday in the far north right now, but had to throw my 2 cents in via sattelite.

Hmmm. When Our make shift line managed a little consistand play, we had 4 or 5 games with over 100 yards rushing from two rookies, so it seems the coaching is ok in the running game, and the line once there isn't a rotating door of players.

You say that .receivers running open, so the coaching must be doing something right there. The D has gotten better, and will get even better with a few pieced . Short of a solid qb, we're not lost in the woods, and that will be addressed soon enough.

So you figure replacing the coaches will give us a few more wins.... more often then not, a major change in coaching and system doesn't bring instant success

On defence it often does, just not when you have a moron in charge of it. \texans werent much more talented than us when they went to the 3-4.

Until we start winning my answer will be yes.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

our Linebacker coaches scare me, our \oline coach scares me, our receivers coach scares me, our DC needs to be upgraded, and im not sold on our specials guys.

This is about the same way I feel. Our position coaches have been terrible for so long. None of them are ever at risk of being interviewed by other teams.

I also wish that we had someone more deserving of respect than Kyle meeting RG3 so many times. I understand that he's the OC, etc.....but geez. It's depressing we can't do better than that.

The Broncos send John Elway....the Pats send Belicheck.....and we send Kyle. Fml.

Like Zorn before him, I'm not sure I want Kyle anywhere around him.

we have the best coaching staff in the division.

i'll start questioning them when the level of talent on the roster is so high that losses are because of coaching. until then, i'm happy with what is (in my opinion) the best coaching staff we've had in 20 years.

This is how I feel about it also. As much as Ryman and others want to crucify Haslett (too soon for Easter jokes?) - the D wasn't bad last year. The offense turned the ball over eleventy-billion times though.

I've said from the start, before he was ever hired here, that I think Mike Shanahan is an overrated coach. I also continue to hope that, now, since he is our coach, he proves me wrong. Too soon to tell, yet.

Kyle hasn't been given a fair shake, IMO. When the offense starts executing the called plays, as designed, this team is gonna roll. Most will think it's because he adapted. The truth will be, improved, consistent, execution.

Haseltt has never impressed me as a coach. This thought is currently up to date.

Danny Smith (See: Haslett)

My biggest coaching fear is due to the loss of our LB coach Lou Spanos. If we lose Fletcher on top of it, I think we return to the bottom 3rd of the league, defensively.

My most encouraging thought about our coaches is the addition of Raheem Morris. I believe he will bring about marked improvement to the secondary. Especially if they don't have to adjust to a Fletcher-less front seven.

I hope all the coaches, will have those of us who are warily thinking little of their ability right now, soon looking in the mirror, asking ourselves...
"WTF were you saying?" :insane:

Kyle's offense gets guys open all the time. It remains to be seen if the QB we select in April will be able to capitalize on that or not. Rex certainly was not able to. Donovan was to an extent - he was on pace for the most yardage of his career.

Shanahan overrated? Maaaaaaaaaybe as a HC, but not as an offensive-QB guru. There are just too many counterexamples to back that up.

Losing Spanos will hurt, but its not like Slowick is going to completely change what they've been doing at LB. Don't think this one will hurt as much as others have said. Losing Fletcher would hurt much more.

Danny Smith: FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!

Haslett - D wasn't terrible last year.

Good point, Lanky. The scheming that most everybody raked Kyle over the coals for seems to be just the kind of play calling that a RGIII or Luck could take advantage of-the Redskins tried to do with Rexy something that just didn't fit with Rexy's, uh, skillset.:betterwink2:

I think a lot of the problems with "coaching" were actually manifestations of personnel deficiencies within the system they have been given to run. If there are coaching worries I see the worst of them as Mike and Kyle's tendency to overestimate their ability to cram square pegs into round holes. I'm glad we got Morris but still dubious about Haslett, his D seemed at times inconsistent-flashes of excellence interspersed with "WTF?"

Good point, Lanky. The scheming that most everybody raked Kyle over the coals for seems to be just the kind of play calling that a RGIII or Luck could take advantage of-the Redskins tried to do with Rexy something that just didn't fit with Rexy's, uh, skillset.:betterwink2:

I think a lot of the problems with "coaching" were actually manifestations of personnel deficiencies within the system they have been given to run. If there are coaching worries I see the worst of them as Mike and Kyle's tendency to overestimate their ability to cram square pegs into round holes. I'm glad we got Morris but still dubious about Haslett, his D seemed at times inconsistent-flashes of excellence interspersed with "WTF?"

Exactly. And if Griffin can get the offense humming like its supposed to, nobody will give a crap about Slowik. :)

Exactly. And if Griffin can get the offense humming like its supposed to, nobody will give a crap about Slowik. :)

Wrong. I will.

I didn't want him coming here to begin with and he has done nothing it two years to convince me I was wrong.

Wrong. I will.

I didn't want him coming here to begin with and he has done nothing it two years to convince me I was wrong.

Okay - if we're averaging 23-25 points per game, you can worry about Slowik all you want. I will focus on the offense. :D

Lanky, offense gets you to the playoffs, defense wins championships.

Besides, I want to be dominate again, not just great at one aspect of the game. I want the WHOLE other team knowing they are in for along day when they play the Skins.

Lanky, offense gets you to the playoffs, defense wins championships.

Besides, I want to be dominate again, not just great at one aspect of the game. I want the WHOLE other team knowing they are in for along day when they play the Skins.

Well, I'm of the opinion that our defense was good enough last year. If the offense had been halfway competent, we'd have been in the wild card if not challenging for the division.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.