• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Disagree With Tandler's View on Davis

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score
I don't believe Davis is a 'must have' player for the Redskins as Rich does. I also disagree with him that this will be Davis' big shot at a sizeable deal.

If it is really down to the Skins and Browns as suitors we are likely talking about a one year deal.

It is what a healthy and productive Davis can offer in 2014 that will bring him a large, multiyear deal.

But again, if the club can restructure Trent and find a way to back end money for Talib, I would be more comfortable looking for a TE in the draft.

We retained Moss on a restructured deal and he was Griffin's third down safety valve. Since he is returning I see less urgency to resign yet another player that is rehabbing from a serious injury.

When you look at the offense only Morris and Williams of the key performers are not completing rehab.

I tend to agree BT. Mainly because I don't believe he's that great of a player.

When you add that to his drug concerns, and now injury concerns, I really couldn't care less if he stays or goes.

He's just not an elite player, and he has risks.

Davis has always been more about potential and physical gifts than consistently great production. Not saying he couldn't break out and become that guy he shows flashes of being. But he hasn't been a game-changing or impact TE to date and hasn't earned the right to be paid like one.

Achilles injuries are no joke - I'm actually surprised he's getting the attention he is. A lot more "career fizzles into nothing" stories than success stories after that injury.

That's why it's reportedly down to two teams.

If Davis was healthy I could see Denver being interested. I think Chicago would have signed him before going after Bennett.

Fred Davis has been a sideshow from day one in this organization.

The news surrounding him has been about off field issues and brain farts as much as it has about on-field production.

Yes, he shows flashes from time to time. Unfortunately, there are dozens and dozens of players around the league who are capable of showing flashes during games. These are the replaceable type of players thankfully.

Fred lacks plenty between the ears and if the Redskins want to push closer towards becoming a contender in the coming years in the NFC, it's guys like him that they need to be prepared to let walk.

Consistency both on and off the field is something Fred has lacked in five NFL seasons. To me, he just doesn't strike me as someone who is motivated enough to be great, nor does he appreciate the opportunity that has been afforded to him to play professional football. Attitudes with a commitment towards being great are what this roster needs to infused with moving forward. Time to trim the fat if he hasn't figured it out by now.

We lost with him when he was a regular, and we won without him in the lineup. Figure that one out.

Let Cleveland take him off our hands and 3 to 4 years from now, they'll likely still be trying to figure out why they can't get it right as an organization.

With Hankerson seeing PT at TE last year and Logan Paulson excelling at blocking I don't think Davis is worth paying big money for; especially for "potential" considering his injury and off field issues. We can't continue to pay crazy money for guys, especially in positions where we have depth.

Maybe "second year TE" Niles Paul will pan out and become the Shannon Sharpe that Shanny hopes he can be.

:gossip:

Its definitely put up or shut up time for Niles this season.

With Hankerson seeing PT at TE last year and Logan Paulson excelling at blocking I don't think Davis is worth paying big money for; especially for "potential" considering his injury and off field issues. We can't continue to pay crazy money for guys, especially in positions where we have depth.

Hankerson saw time at TE last year ? I must have missed that. Or did you mean Niles ?

Its definitely put up or shut up time for Niles this season.

I think Niles opportunity has passed, IMO. He had an entire year, and if I remember correctly, did not miss any significant time due to injury, and still was a non-factor.

If Dazed & Confused is correct, that Hankerson has already been tried out at TE, then I say give him more of a chance. He certainly has more TE size than Niles. My only concern with Hankerson, whether he's playing TE or WR, is he has inconsistent hands, that date all the way back to his college days. But he may be a both a better blocker and receiver than Niles at the TE position.

I can say that I would like to see Davis back, but only for a bargain price. It would be nice if he would break out this year with us and if our other offensive weapons stay healthy we might be in for quite the offensive show next year! So glad the days of only being able to put up 17 point every week are gone!

Yeah, Hank played some TE after Davis went down.

Niles is in his third year, which is typically the make-or-break year for WRs. Remember he was transferring to a new position. Give him one more year, and see what he can do.

Two years in a row Davis failed to finish the season. You can make the argument that two years in a row we were better overall when he did not play, though a easier argument might be made for 2011 than 2012

That's a dead link Fear.

my problem with Niles Paul was that he seemed to hold up better as a blocker at the line of scrimmage than I thought he would, but he was damn near irrelevant as a receiver and I thought the plan for his move to TE was to take advantage of his 4.5 speed down the field against linebackers and strong safeties..................?

my problem with Niles Paul was that he seemed to hold up better as a blocker at the line of scrimmage than I thought he would, but he was damn near irrelevant as a receiver and I thought the plan for his move to TE was to take advantage of his 4.5 speed down the field against linebackers and strong safeties..................?

I think he dropped a few balls and lost favor.

Hopefully he's worked hard and can show us what he's got. I really like him on special teams so hopefully he can be that until he improves at TE?

Paul is good to go on special teams and as a returner. Still on his rookie deal so he's a cheap and productive player.

It was just when Shanahan came out and gushed over him publicly I thought we were really onto something, ie a player that like Morris or Griffin was about to emerge :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.