• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Did Washington violate NFL tampering rules?

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia

I would hope to God that our Front Office and Rivera were not stupid enough to reach out to Andrew Luck or his agent without permission of the Colts? To do so is almost a guarantee that the league will come down hard, likely demanding we surrender draft picks for this kind of violation. I have to believe that they a) knew this, and b) are smarter than to make this kind of mistake. If they did tamper as Irsay is hinting, that is an argument for house cleaning on a mass scale after a new owner takes over as it would represent gross negligence and incompetence, something we've already seen plenty of from this crew.

Please don't let this be true.

I kind of remember something about it. At the time, it felt more like active daydreaming than due diligence. Best guess is that Irsay is bringing this up as a way to try to raise the heat on Dan Snyder to get out because he thinks this process is taking too long. He's hinting that there are more issues they could go after that could lead to his expulsion.

I might be overthinking this. Probably am, but that's why I think Irsay is jumping on a year old story now.

I'm skeptical that has anything to do with it. Irsay knows Snyder is out - it's a done deal. He is a) all about getting his name in a headline, and b) all about making trouble for other NFL teams in any way he can. He's been a blustery outspoken firebrand from day 1 and this is just the latest from him. On the other hand, if this front office was incompetent enough to violate a basic NFL tampering rule, they deserve to have the kitchen sink thrown at them. It would be a real shame though, particularly since in all likelihood, this is the last year of this regime and starting off with draft picks being taken away would be a terrible start for a new ownership group trying to turn the page.

If there is nothing to this, I would expect a PR release today asserting that at no time did Washington communicate with Andrew Luck and/or any of his representatives. If we don't get a strong public denial, I think that's a really bad sign. This whole thing smacks of Ron Rivera running his mouth to try and make it clear he 'did everything he could to find a QB'. It's just the kind of undisciplined poorly-thought out nugget he would put out there.

Last edited:
So far we have a blurb from Keim, "they even phoned about retired Andrew Luck just in case". Hell we traded for Wentz, maybe we inquired with someone in the Colts personnel while discussing that deal. Who knows at this point but as Boone stated above, Irsay love himself some Irsay and any reason he can get press, he takes it.

Why would Irsay bring this up now? Just got off a bender perhaps.

Andrew Luck retired from football. He may or may not still be the property of the Colts, it's not automatic, it depends on his contract.

Harris needs indemnity from the league for anything under Snyder’s reign. 6b ought to be worth that consideration.

Irsay is looking for a draft pick.

Look, when it comes down to it, I would not be surprised if Snyder and Co. over the years broke every NFL rule in the book.

Stupid organization. Luck at 33 has been out of football for 4 years and in an interview last year said he was never coming back to the NFL.

If I was the owner that would about cover it for me.

Ron is about the most unimaginative and creative executive.

Instead of moving up to take Stroud or another younger player in the draft his only fallbacks are Wentz who is physically afraid to take hits any longer in the league and a guy like Luck that has been out of the game for years.

Jeesh.............................................

Last edited:
This whole thing sounds pretty stupid. First off, if my research is correct, Luck signed a 5 year contract in 2016, he retired in 2019. I don’t know how contracts work with retirement, but his last contract would be up by the time they would have contacted him. Secondly, if he is still property of the Colts, could he even be signed without compensation? Again, I don’t know the NFL rules, but this sounds nothing like tampering to the casual observer. This doesn’t even raise to the level of what I expect regularly happens with tampering every year. Irsay hasn’t been in the news in 10 days and he’s desperately trying to get back in it. Maybe they found some loophole to try and get a pick, but this would be some petty nitpicking if it is.

Why now? Word of interest in Luck was on the internet over a year ago. Why did it take this long to get traction?

The most Redskins thing ever would be us losing a premium draft pick over this… in 2024, when it’s likely all new decision makers. I half way expect that to happen because it just makes too much sense when you look at how we seem to always find a way to be snake bit

Harris needs indemnity from the league for anything under Snyder’s reign. 6b ought to be worth that consideration.

There is merit to this thought, would be tacky of the league to burden a new owner with an all ready big enough job to turn a franchise around by punishing them for sins committed before their tenure. It would be no different if I took a new job and they gave me a warning for an event that happened a year before I got there.

It's going to take some time to wash all of Snyder's sins away.

That's just the plain truth.

So far we have a blurb from Keim, "they even phoned about retired Andrew Luck just in case". Hell we traded for Wentz, maybe we inquired with someone in the Colts personnel while discussing that deal. Who knows at this point but as Boone stated above, Irsay love himself some Irsay and any reason he can get press, he takes it.

Answer is no tampering per ESPN, so Irsay love himself false attention again. Yes I quoted myself because I still can't figure out multi quote with Boone's post objectively talking about the loud mouth in Indy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.