• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Did Football Kill Austin Trenum?

football didn't but i would guess brain injuries did.

i think the NFL, NFL-PA, NCAA/BCS and other football organization (including youth football organizations) should be putting money into research on this issue pronto - it's not like there isn't enough money in the pool to fund it. but at the end of the day it's a voluntary sport; kids and parents need to take special care to know the risks and the warning signs.

i think there is too much money for football to go away. i also think we can all be adults about it and take personal responsibility for participating in a dangerous sport.

part of the problem is the impact of your brain colliding against the front of your skull when you go from full speed to stopped instantly. helmets and proper technique can only do so much about that - physics will only cooperate so much. so at some point people need to accept the risks, or not play the sport.

I think at some point the NFL needs to take a stronger stand on the issue of concussions, both to protect the image of their league and the safety of their players.

I can think of a handful of MLS players off the top of my head who retired in the last few years due to concussions. How many NFL players have retired in their prime because of this?

Now I am sure the primary argument here is that NFL players would be walking away from in most cases, millions more dollars than the average MLS player. And I get that. That is why I think the league needs to step up and be more proactive about not allowing players to continue to suffer from multiple concussions. Whether that's through some kind of disability payout or something else, I'm not sure. But if the NFL seriously addresses the problem, youth programs will follow suit.

Well there is the lawsuit from hundreds of ex-players such as Rypien. The results will probably have a big effect on what is done in the future and may include rule changes, equipment changes, medical monitoring (including post-career), and monetary settlements.

Well there is the lawsuit from hundreds of ex-players such as Rypien. The results will probably have a big effect on what is done in the future and may include rule changes, equipment changes, medical monitoring (including post-career), and monetary settlements.

that's assuming the ex-players win.

i'm not so sure they will. i think the NFL has a case, provided they weren't purposefully hiding useful information from players.

that's assuming the ex-players win.

i'm not so sure they will. i think the NFL has a case, provided they weren't purposefully hiding useful information from players.

Even if they lose they now can't claim they don't know what's going on and will have to adjust.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.