• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Despite Grimm's induction into Pro Football Hall of Fame, anti-Redskins bias still ex

Sarge

A pro Skins writer!

http://www.examiner.com/x-37753-DC-...l-Hall-of-Fame-antiRedskins-bias-still-exists

Former Redskins guard Russ Grimm’s induction Saturday to the Pro Football Hall of Fame was long overdue. Grimm anchored one of the best offensive lines in history, the “Hogs,” who played in four Super Bowls, winning three.

Grimm and the Hogs blocked superbly for the Redskins’ running game and passing game for a decade, ultimately helping running back John Riggins and wide receiver Art Monk become Hall of Famers.

But Grimm was inducted into the Hall in his 14th year of eligibility. And it took Monk eight years, despite immaculate credentials. Why did it take so long?

Yeah, he makes a great case for Jacoby and Clark, both of whom I believe deserve more consideration than they get. I would add Manley and Butz to the list of guys who should get more consideration as well. Manley's numbers are every bit as good as Howey Long's (granted he played the RE position and Long played LE so there is a difference) and Butz suffers from being a DT in an era where they got little respect, however he was one of the greatest run stuffers of all time.

I have thought for a long time that something needs to be done at the Hall of Fame about the great Asst. Coaches in the league. There are a pile of guys out there who deserve recognition for the great work they did as position coaches or coordinators (Bugel, Petibone, Alex Gibbs, Buddy Ryan, Jim Hanifan, Jim Johnson, Monte Kiffen, etc) who either never got a shot as the head man or just were not cut out to be the head man but were amazing at what they did do. The Hall of Fame is really missing out by not having this group of men represented.

From this weeks Monday Morning QB column by Peter King, a HoF voter:

9. I think these are my early odds on the 2011 Hall class:
Player Odds
Deion Sanders 3-5
Marshall Faulk 7-5
Shannon Sharpe 2-1
Richard Dent 12-5
Cris Carter 3-1
Jerome Bettis 4-1
Curtis Martin 4-1
Charles Haley 5-1
Andre Reed 7-1
Tim Brown 8-1
Dermontti Dawson 10-1
Roger Craig 10-1

When the five-man Seniors Committee meets later this month to determine the two other candidates to be considered by the 44 voters next February, the names with the most traction would appear to be one at linebacker -- Chris Hanburger, Chuck Howley or Maxie Baughan (did you know Baughan was voted to the Pro Bowl eight more times than Ray Nitschke?) -- and an offensive lineman ... maybe Jerry Kramer or Dick Stanfel. I hear lots of sentiment for Hanburger.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/08/08/mmqb/5.html#ixzz0w8Bmq7jK

Maybe the HoF Senior Committee will give us a third year in a row with a Redskin on the role of those being inducted?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.