• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Desperate for Oline help and we Draft... a Linebacker.

When they didn’t trade up I assumed the WFT was going to go LB in the first round and then they did. Shrug.

Each year teams fans freak out when their teams pass on a quarterback in Round 1 as if that is the last chance they are going to get to find one.

In 2019 the Giants and Washington overdrafted Daniel Jones and Dwayne Haskins in a poor quarterback year just for that reason, they needed a quarterback of the future and put need ahead of the talent on the board.

Either team would have been smarter to wait. There were better quarterbacks and more of them in 2021.

But going back to the original point - there is a draft in 2022 and there will be MORE of them available :D

It's a renewable supply, like solar power :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The other thing is Washington was interested in trading for two or three NFL quarterbacks. Who knew that Sean McVay was going to trade away a future of picks for a 33 year old Matthew Stafford?

Clearly with his new contract and the draft picks and money given out in Jalen Ramsey trade and to resign Aaron Donald (30 years old), McVay saw his team with a short window to get something done after coming close in 2019 against the Patriots.

Washington has a longer time frame and a much younger roster overall. A mid to late #1 pick was fair for Stafford and probably would have made the trade except for one desperate coach.

The other guy I look at is Kyle Shanahan. He gives Trent Williams a 6 year $128 million contract at age 33 and then trades his future in re picks for Trey Lance who is far from a finished product.

For a team with an older, expensive roster one has to question whether Lance will help them during their window or whether becoming a full-time starter and productive NFL quarterback down the road he will see a complete overall of the roster, where he is the only premium talent during the transition.

A lot of reason to remain level headed.... it is conspicuously quiet...

That said there were people saying to trade the whole draft to move to 4 to draft Pitts.

No stupid draft trades
We took BPA as well as needed holes to fill
Our UDFA picks are amazing

I, for one, am freaking out!!

I might quibble with a pick here or there, but there's no denying, we got legit starters at both ILB and LT - and added speed and athleticism across the board. I wouldn't bet on how this draft looks 3 years from now either way, but it was a well-managed competent draft.

I’m pleasantly surprised they took a LT in the 2nd, honestly didn’t think they would.

This draft seemed like a BPA at positions of need, which I’ll take 10/10 times. Were the lb’rs that bad last season? Assuming there were lots of whiffs and out of position scenarios for that group but don’t know for sure.

They weren't bad at all. Just not that fast. They got ate up in coverage or beaten on bad angles at times.

We couldn’t stop the run and really struggled with RPO QBs. Jalen Hurts gashed us and he wasn’t the only one.

We couldn’t stop the run and really struggled with RPO QBs. Jalen Hurts gashed us and he wasn’t the only one.

Let's also not forget our 15 year struggle to cover TEs......

My goodness this team has done some stupid shit over the years

It has conditioned a lot of fans for pumping their fists and screaming bust and chump when a lot of players have been used completely incorrectly. We gave Josh Norman a massive deal then made him do the opposite of what he excelled at in Carolina. He was a natural down hill zone corner that was able to play press man with a top tier pass rush that fed on blitzing. We asked him to be on an island and play 13 yards off the ball, then got mad when he got beat by a TE in the end zone to lose vs Philly.

I hope things have shifted (they appear to have) where the matchup prioritized the payroll. I'm still somewhat excited to see what we do with Collins if he can get back to form... Dude has the ability to be a stud when used correctly... not in pass coverage. I know there's an argument to be made that he's getting premier safety money, but the contract is signed, trying to force a square peg into a round hole just makes the move look terrible. Overpaying for a 'box' safety is questionable. Criticizing a 'box' safety on his ability in coverage and wanting him to play center field simply sets the move up to be questioned, while asking the matchup to fail making it look even worse.

I think to Mike's point that the LB corps (I believe that's the unit he was talking about) 'wasn't that bad' actually may not be wrong... they weren't that 'bad' as much as they just weren't capable. Jamin Davis COULD change the whole dynamic being able to move people around. A lot of people have advocated for an overhaul but looking at the unit, a single piece could change that unit from liability to cornerstone... not necessarily strength, but very effective.

I’m pleasantly surprised they took a LT in the 2nd, honestly didn’t think they would.

This draft seemed like a BPA at positions of need, which I’ll take 10/10 times. Were the lb’rs that bad last season? Assuming there were lots of whiffs and out of position scenarios for that group but don’t know for sure.
The were warm bodies. Davis's measurable indicates he is a faster Luke Kuechly. If he has a noggin for the game, we'll finally have a 'backer to succeed London Fletcher. We need a LB that can handle TEs and mobile QBs.

The linebackers we had in 2020 were a combination of guys at or approaching 30 (Bostic) and ones that had never solidified a starting spot in a previous stop (KPL).

The only linebacker on the field that seemed to have the potential for growth was Holcomb, but he really needs to add some weight and strength to play a position in the front seven.

Before the Davis pick this was one area of our team where we didn't have an impact athlete.

You could say OT was the other. And we got a guy in Cosmi that could have gone in the first round.

In my mind Cosmi will be a starter sooner rather than later.

It will be interesting to see if ultimately the tandem at OT is Saahdiq Charles and Cosmi.

I’d like to see Charles bounce back strong but there’s always a chance he takes the Bryce Love route.

my guess would be Charles kicks over to RG when Scherff moves on. Something like...
Cosmi...Flowers...Roullier...Charles...Moses

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.