• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Deadspin: "Yankees is just as bad as Redskins," says dumb guys

Jugband McGillicuddy

The Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
Rival Allegiance
Alma Mater
Marshall
Deadspin: "Yankees is just as bad as Redskins," says dumb guy

"Yankees Is Just As Bad As Redskins," Says Dumb Guy

Rick Reilly's stance and logic regarding the Washington Redskins was dumb, but a letter to the editor from the Washington Post has raised the bar in eye-rolling things written about the Redskins' team name.

According to Jason Fornwalt of Hagerstown, Md., the New York Yankees' team name is as offensive as the Redskins. Yes. Yankees. Jason actually set aside some time to write about this issue and send it to a major newspaper. He even refers to it as the "Y-word."

Deadspin completely failed in their mission. I think the fact that their panties are twisted over my letter is AWESOME!!!! lol

Last edited:
Love ya Jason, but Kalaf is spot on here (about the nickname, not that you are dumb). The comparison is not applicable, as Yankee is not an insult based on race, but geographic location. Its white southerners calling white northerners yankees, and white British calling white Americans yankees. I'm super jealous that you made Deadspin.com though, for what its worth! :)

My whole goal was to get the debate started on this angle. I realize that no one is actually offended by the word "Yankees." The point was that there are legitimate reasons to find a whole lot of names offensive. What about the people who have lost loved ones to bear attacks? What about the people who have had family members killed in jet crashes?

Also, I think the historical context in which words are used matters. Think about this. Baseball historians reference "Negro League Baseball" all the time. No one calls it "African-American League" baseball; even though the word "negro" is certainly not socially acceptable anymore.

My whole goal was to get the debate started on this angle. I realize that no one is actually offended by the word "Yankees." The point was that there are legitimate reasons to find a whole lot of names offensive. What about the people who have lost loved ones to bear attacks? What about the people who have had family members killed in jet crashes?

Also, I think the historical context in which words are used matters. Think about this. Baseball historians reference "Negro League Baseball" all the time. No one calls it "African-American League" baseball; even though the word "negro" is certainly not socially acceptable anymore.

Right, but that's also history. If there was still a Negro League these days, you'd have a point. But they abolished it because it was horribly racist. The name Redskins is being used today freely; that's the difference.

If I were Jackie Chiles, I might say 'if there's no intent, you must relent'. That's my issue with the entire manufactured outrage - there is no intent with the modern use of the term to slight or offend. It's debatable whether there was ever intent associated with the word on terms of it being an epithet or slur. To me, it's always about 'intent' and that's also a reasonable explanation why the 'N word' can be both a friendly greeting or a horrible slur.

Has anyone consistently used 'Redskin' as a slur in the past 50 years? I don't believe so.

To Boone's point, just look at our logo. Tell me what the intent is there. Now look at the Cleveland Indians cartoon character. Were I to be offended by one of those, it sure as hell wouldn't be ours.

As a Christian, I'm fairly sure I've had some of my spiritual descendants mauled to death by Lions. I'm outraged. I demand a name change.

As a Christian, I'm fairly sure I've had some of my spiritual descendants mauled to death by Lions. I'm outraged. I demand a name change.

LOL. I think we're getting a little over the top with our examples. :) ;)

LOL. I think we're getting a little over the top with our examples. :) ;)

You're right, of course. But the point stands. I would contend that there IS a certain level of ridiculousness in demanding that a team who's had it's name for nearly 80 years change it.

But if Goaldeje really is offended, then we need to have the debate over the Lions' nickname. Afterall, the commissioner himself said that if even one person is offended, we need to listen. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.