• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

DCSportsbog: John Beck and Being Winless

• Thread starter Lanky Livingston
  • Start date

Lanky Livingston

Ouch...not good company John Beck finds himself in. I know a lot of you are on the "unknown commodity" bandwagon, but history does tend to repeat itself. Breaking a record of futility previous held by Brodie Croyle? Ouch. Ouch.
----------------------
John Beck and being winless
By Dan Steinberg

John Beck has now started seven NFL games, and played in nine. He’s still never participated in a win.

Who are some other quarterbacks with similar streaks? Well, according to the Elias Sports Bureau, Beck is now tied for the most starts without a win of any NFL quarterback since Brodie Croyle, who lost all 10 of his carer starts with the Chiefs. (He’s currently a free agent.)

Jimmy Clausen lost his first seven starts with the Panthers. He’s currently 1-9 as an NFL starter.

Indy’s Curtis Painter has an active streak, having lost all six of his career starts.

Painter’s Colts teammate Dan Orlovsky also has an active streak, having lost all seven of his career starts, which came with the Detroit Lions in 2008.

Trent Green lost the final six starts of his NFL career, with the Dolphins and Rams from 2007-2008, although obviously he won tons of games before that.

If Beck loses this week, he’ll reach 0-8 as a starter, passing Clausen and Orlovsky on the list. He’ll also have more starts without a win in a Redskins uniform that anyone but George Izo, who was a lifetime 0-10 as a starter for Washington, according to Pro Football Reference.

Click link for the rest of the article.
----------------------------

At some point, you have to just call a spade a bad quarterback and move on...

If he loses to Miami, they are going to be laughing their arses off at us, for putting faith in such a crappy team's reject.

they're going to laugh anyway. this team doesn't have a QB. this one...ultimately...is on the Shanahans.

John Beck will be out of the league in two years but I hope that son of a gun starts for us the rest of the season!

Ride this bad QB to at least pick #2 in April!

John Beck will be out of the league in two years but I hope that son of a gun starts for us the rest of the season!

Ride this bad QB to at least pick #2 in April!

So if we can't SUCK FOR LUCK, we either BLOW FOR BARKLEY, LOSE FOR LANDRY or GAS IT FOR GRIFFIN? :bucktooth:

I'd rather see Grossman for the rest of the season. At least we'll see something besides checkdowns.

So if we can't SUCK FOR LUCK, we either BLOW FOR BARKLEY, LOSE FOR LANDRY or GAS IT FOR GRIFFIN? :bucktooth:

I'd rather see Grossman for the rest of the season. At least we'll see something besides checkdowns.
IMO, Beck starting is the only thing that gets us closer to an actual franchise Qb, something not seen in Washington since #9 hung his cleats up.

I believe if the Redskins had a guy from day one that you knew would be penciled in as starter for the next ten years....we wouldn't know what to do with ourselves.

We've wandered extra long in the QB wilderness. It has to be our time..........right?

Please?

IMO, Beck starting is the only thing that gets us closer to an actual franchise Qb, something not seen in Washington since #9 hung his cleats up.

You don't think Joey T was a franchise QB? He won us a superbowl & piloted one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history. I'd say he qualifies. Probably would have won at least one or two more SBs if he'd stayed healthy (damn you, Lawrence Taylor!).

You don't think Joey T was a franchise QB? He won us a superbowl & piloted one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history. I'd say he qualifies. Probably would have won at least one or two more SBs if he'd stayed healthy (damn you, Lawrence Taylor!).

At least one more if he and a few others had stayed sober...

Actually, he had another chance, and piloted the most embarrassing defeat by any Super Bowl team, against the Raiders. Further, we of course won 2 more Super Bowls without him, proving it didn't matter who was at QB, under Gibbs I

You don't think Joey T was a franchise QB?

I knew somebody would ask that.
My answer:

Nope.

He had a three year stretch where he played great and then slid down that slippery slope to mediocre.

I put him in the same category as Williams and Rypien:

Their candle burned bright,hot and fast.....but they didn't last that long.

When I think franchise QB, I think of a player that nails down that position with above average to elite play for at least ten years.

Marino, Elway,Brady,Peyton,.....those guys never go into camp worrying about whether somebody was going to beat them out because they were just that damn good.

The last guy we had under center here that qualified for that was Sonny.

it's not the 0-3 record that bothers me.

Heck, Troy Aikman started 0-11 in the NFL :)

But Beck is showing neither the outside of the pocket athleticism or the downfield accuracy that are hallmarks of productive qbs in today's game.

I thought Beck was supposed to have good athleticism. He hasn't been able to outrun middle linebackers and DL in his starts.

Down the field, he hasn't been able to hit the broad side of a barn.

You have to go back a lot of years to see an offense this futile.

Think the expansion Bucs or Jaguars.

0 points against the Bills and 11 against the 49ers of which 8 were in garbage time at the end of the game and the other 3 off a 59 yard field goal in which the offense was barely able to cross mid-field.

This couldn't get worse if you tried to set up that scenario.

dont compare Williams to Rypien Williams had one superlative game and that was about it.
There's not really that big a difference between the two, imo.

Rypien had a two year window and then faded fast.

Williams got hot at the end of the season.

He had to. The team absolutely hated Schroeder.

I have always wondered how many Championships those 80's teams would have won had Joe Gibbs had one steady, above average Qb that you could count on starting for the whole decade?

I love Darrell Green. Can't imagine him being anything but a Redskin.

With that said, what if the draft fell another way in 83 and we drafted Marino?

Would we have been considered the team of the decade or would that still have been the Niners?

Interesting to think about........

With that said, what if the draft fell another way in 83 and we drafted Marino?

Would we have been considered the team of the decade or would that still have been the Niners?

Interesting to think about........

Meh, we could have had Boomer Esiason in the 2nd round of the 1984 draft but took Bob Slater who never played an NFL down. Damn that Bobby Beathard! :laugh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.