• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

[DC Sports Bog] Madden Raves about Griffin

tshile

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...2/10/17/john-madden-raves-about-rgiiis-speed/

“He would scare the heck out of me,” Pro Football Hall of Famer John Madden said of RGIII on SiriusXM’s NFL Radio. (Audio here.) “I’ll tell you, any coach, any team, any defense, the one thing that you fear is speed – whether that guy is a running back that could break loose, whether he’s a wide receiver that could get over the top or if he’s a quarterback that can run like this guy.

“Did you see him last week?” Madden continued. “I mean, go down the sideline? I have never, in the history of football, I have never seen a quarterback ever run that fast. I know that that’s what the Giants are thinking. I mean, they’re looking at that and they’re saying, whoo, or wow, or we can’t let that guy do that to us. So that takes a lot away from your defense, whether it’s real or imagined.

“A lot of time in life we defend ghosts,” he continued. “You saw something a week ago and you’re still out there holding your ground. When he hands off inside, you’re waiting for him to run around the end. So I think that’s going to be a problem with the Giants this week, real and imagined: They’re going to have to worry about him. You have to worry about his throwing, and you have to worry about him as a quarterback, and then doggone, the thing that would scare me most about him really is that speed.”

Later, Madden suggested that RGIII was helping to change our idea of what a pro quarterback should be.

“If he gets away from you on any type of scramble, he can just outrun anyone that you have on your team, and that is very, very scary,” Madden said. “I think that’s gonna be the pro quarterback style, I really do. If you go back and look at high school football, the way they play, and college football, the way they play, that’s the type of quarterback that we’re developing. And that’s the type of quarterback that’s gonna come into the league, and I think eventually that’s gonna be the pro-type quarterback.”

There's more at the link but it's not important; I pasted everything Madden said.

Every time I read or hear comments like this I can't help but think to myself: "Thats our quarterback they're talking about..."

Super post, tshile. What Madden said about Robert is what I've been saying all along-I think he is going to be the first to truly start the demolition of the soon-to-be-obsolete idea that " a running QB can't be successful in the NFL." He is simply the first QB with the athleticism, skills and, most importantly, smarts to pull it off based on what he has shown so far.

I see a sea change as big as the T-Formation in the 1930s and 1940s or Walsh's implementation of the WCO in terms of how NFL football is played coming and Robert Griffin III is the one who could knock over the first domino.

And like you said...he's ours :)

I would really... REALLLLLY like one of receivers to step up in this game. One. Just one catch down the field opens up so much for this offense!!! JUST ONE DAMMIT!

The sweetest part was watching the futility of Jared Allen last Sunday. Of course, Trent shut him down, but Allen was left baffled most of the day. Times are a changin' Redskins fans. Let's enjoy this great ride - it sure is fun.

The sweetest part was watching the futility of Jared Allen last Sunday. Of course, Trent shut him down, but Allen was left baffled most of the day. Times are a changin' Redskins fans. Let's enjoy this great ride - it sure is fun.
They touch on that a bit in the film clip on Inside the NFL this week. It was evident Allen was VERY frustrated. Not enough is being made of the game Trent had...he was fantastic.

I think we will see a change in what kind of QB comes into the league but I am not sure we will see a huge long term change in how the QB in the NFL is used. Griffin and the Shanahans all want Griff to be a pocket passer first and I don't think that will change.

We are already seeing a bit of a change to the playing calling with fewer option plays. They have established him as a dangerous runner but also seen what can happen when the defense gets a clean, big hit on Griffin. I honestly think that now that defenses have something to think about with Griff now they will dial back the running some. And if not this year then it will happen over the next couple as they improve the O-line.

I honestly think that now that defenses have something to think about with Griff now they will dial back the running some. And if not this year then it will happen over the next couple as they improve the O-line.

I agree.

I wonder if, deep down inside, Shanahan was like 'Yes! Now they have to respect his running and we can just screw with people now' after that run... i know I would have felt that way.

I did feel that way. Ten and fifteen yard plays and QB draws for a score inside the Red Zone are worthy of some attention by defenses but taking one to the house from 76 yards out, against a defense playing the run as well as the Vikes are right now, is the stuff of nightmares for Defensive Coordinators. No defense is going to want to join the Vikes on the list of teams that gave up highlight reel plays to Griffin. It's a game changer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.