• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

DC Examiner: Beck accepts blame on INT

BGO

John Keim

Redskins quarterback John Beck had a point to make Monday, waiting until the end of a four-minute media session to make it. The interception he tossed Sunday? Don't blame the route run by rookie receiver Leonard Hankerson.

On the play, Beck anticipates Hankerson running a back-shoulder fade. But the rookie, making his first appearance this season, ran a go-route. The pass was intercepted.

"That play with Hankerson, it's on me," Beck said. "I'm the guy that has the ball in my hand and I'm the guy that makes the decision where that ball goes. And we were very excited to have Hankerson be a part of this team. He's going to be a great asset to this team. Nothing goes on Hankerson at all. It goes on me. You got that?"

When asked what route he expected Hankerson to run, Beck simply said, "Done."

Sunday night, coach Mike Shanahan told reporters afterward, "That last interception should have been a backside shoulder [pass]."

Beck said he felt comfortable in his first start since 2007.

"There were opportunities out there," Beck said. "There's times in the game where maybe a check down here or there to come up with a play here or there. There were times we ran well, times we threw well. We just have to put it togethter the whole game."

To submit a question for Redskins mailbag, click here.

More...

Man, serious difference between Beck and some other recent QBs here in Washington in the responsibility area. Whether this is the truth or not, the WRs have to be loving this from the guy under center.

Yeah, love hearing him take full responsibility, even though it appears as if Hankerson ran the wrong route. Grossman is all about himself, and what other people did wrong - Beck stands up like a man and accepts the responsibility that comes with the position.

Well, it would have been a lot cooler if he didn't throw the interception.

No question about that, Henry. Cooler still if Hankerson has run the right route and gotten a catch out of it.

But after the last 21 games of listening to Grossman and McNabb not take responsibility for the mistakes of the offense, it is refreshing to have a guy in there who gets that the QB is not equal to everyone else and you can't be "the man" if the buck doesn't stop with you.

Well, it would have been a lot cooler if he didn't throw the interception.

All right Debbie, settle down. :)

Twitter kind of blew up over this yesterday, with Hank even jumping on board telling his followers to shut up and stop judging him (or something to that effect). Pretty funny, really.

Anyway, if the mistake was made, nice to see someone stand up and cop to it, deservedly or not.

It seemed obvious, to me anyway, that Hankerson was most at fault. Kind of points out why he's been slow to get on the field.

Keep working kid.

Geez, Beck throws ONE interception and it's huge news and a big deal, as if he threw 6.

ONE interception is a far cry from the FOUR that Rex threw last week

This not only reflects the fan paranoia, but further reflects what a big man Beck was - not just for taking the blame when it wasn't his, but also even bringing up the subject of throwing just ONE interception the whole game, which is hardly news.

Geez, Beck throws ONE interception and it's huge news and a big deal, as if he threw 6.

This not only reflects the fan paranoia, but further reflects what a big man Beck was - not just for taking the blame when it wasn't his, but also even bringing up the subject of throwing just ONE interception the whole game, which is hardly news.

I don't think anyone in this thread is clamoring for Grossman. The big news is not the INT he threw (I think most people didn't expect him to be perfect), but the fact that he took responsibility for it.

Who cares? A first year receiver who lacks maturity decided to start tweeting after being active for one week instead of quietly going about his business watching film and keeping his mouth shut.

No wonder he hasn't seen the field that much up till now.

Another guy from the U :rolleyes:

How can you put Hank on the field for only 1 play in the game?

And then, it's pretty obvious that we are throwing to him on that play. So stupid. At least put him on the field for 4 or 5 plays before sending him deep.

I'm not sure if it's Mike or Kyle making that decision....but it's bad news either way.

The alternative viewpoint though might be 'we make you active for your first NFL game ever, we throw the first pass we've ever thrown to you in a live NFL game, and you don't run the right route?'.

He'll get better. But there's likely a reason he hasn't gotten in there to date.

He threw three. Two of them were dropped. One apparently wasn't his fault.

On the balance the stat sheet looks fair to me, as it usually does.

Sorry to be a downer. I'm just sick of looking for any crumb of positive news to take away from a perpetual and chronic crappy QB situation.

He threw three. Two of them were dropped. One apparently wasn't his fault.

On the balance the stat sheet looks fair to me, as it usually does.

Sorry to be a downer. I'm just sick of looking for any crumb of positive news to take away from a perpetual and chronic crappy QB situation.

No he threw one, drops don't count. If they did, Carlos Rogers would have about 30 pics on his stat sheet. By that standard, Beck would also have 4 or 5 more completed passes being the receivers dropped them.

Don't get me wrong, I feel ya when it comes to the QB situation, but again, I like reality, not probabilities.

No he threw one, drops don't count. If they did, Carlos Rogers would have about 30 pics on his stat sheet. By that standard, Beck would also have 4 or 5 more completed passes being the receivers dropped them.

And every QB would have a higher completion percentage, if we also likewise didn't count as incompletions, the times they intentionally throw the ball away to avoid a sack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.