• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Davis, Mitchell Make Their Marks

brandies

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/davis-mitchell-leave-their-mar.html#more

Fred Davis was among the most disappointed men in the locker room after the Washington Redskins' preseason loss in Baltimore a week ago. After a shaky rookie year, the second-round pick out of Southern Cal had earned repeated praise from teammates and coaches during offseason workouts and the early days of training camp, but he fumbled twice in one drive against Baltimore, ruining one of the Redskins' best scoring chances.

"I can't dwell on that, because I know I'm a better player than that," he said at the time. "The coaches know what I can do and I know what I can do. I've just got to prove it next time."

To the extent that one preseason game can offer redemption for another, Davis succeeded against Saturday night. On successive plays in the fourth quarter, Davis tackled Pittsburgh Steelers punt returner Joe Burnett, forcing a fumble, and then caught an 18-yard touchdown pass from Chase Daniel, celebrating with a hip-shaking routine. It was Davis's fourth catch of the preseason, after recording just three receptions in his entire rookie campaign.

CLICK LINK FOR ENTIRE ARTICLE

Mitchell showed great body control and anticipation in hauling in that TD pass from Daniel.

He also had a nice catch on a pattern to the outside earlier.

Forget where the players were drafted, I really do have a difficult time seeing where Thomas and Kelly are ahead of Mitchell.

He has size and good speed.

And more importantly he is HEALTHY.

Where has Devin been the past 2 weeks?

I have not seen all of last night's game yet but I don't remember Thomas doing anything in either game so far. In my mind, Kelly is the starter opposite Moss (and was before it was announced he would start last night) and Mitchell might just be backing him up. Mitchell is clearly out playing everyone not currently assumed to be safe (that being Moss, Randel El, Thomas and Kelly) and maybe a couple of those who are safe. My only question about him is Special Teams. The 5th guy sort of needs to work on that unit and I just don't remember Mitchell doing much there.

let's face it, the only reason Thomas and Kelly are put in as among the top 3-4 is because of their draft position.

I don't worry about the special teams angle in regards to Mitchell because the Redskins use ARE and Thomas on teams.

So what I am hearing is that you are not impressed with Kelly, BD?

Kelly has size and seems to have very good hands.

He just appears to be a guy that wears the 'fragile - handle carefully' sign on his jersey.

I don't know if at this point you can count on him to be active for 16 games.

The fear is that both Kelly and Thomas (who is out yet again) remain up and down with injuries and ARE is once again thrust into the role as the #2.

He is simply not big enough or fast enough to make plays on the outside against the better corners.

That makes having a #4 or #5 receiver that can do more than simply cover kicks on the roster important in 2009.

If it was simply a matter of having a special teamer because the top 4 were so solid, Trent Shelton should make the roster.

But the top 4 is not that solid at this point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.