• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Darwin Thread

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score
Alma Mater
James Madison
I guess it could be an owned thread, but this is funny:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-foot-hole-Miami-beach.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Members of an Olympic swimming team frantically clawed through a Florida beach with their hands to save a teammate who was buried in a giant hole he had dug to show off to his friends.

Jakub Maly, 19, spent his day-off yesterday from a training camp with the Austrian national squad on Pompano Beach, Florida, excavating sand with a shovel to dig a hole more than two metres deep and two metres around.

But when he jumped in, the walls collapsed on top of him, leaving him completely buried by the sand and with his head several feet beneath the surface.

A different version of events from our local paper.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/br...ano-sand-buried-folo-20110509,0,6437254.story

The Broward Sheriff's Office on Monday released the name of a 19-year-old man who was buried in sand up to his neck for two hours and taken to a hospital after 60 rescue personnel helped dig him out.

Jakub Maly -- a member of the Austrian Olympic swim team training in South Florida and living in Pompano Beach -- went to the beach on his day off Sunday and accidentally became buried after spending all day digging a hole 7 feet deep and 6 feet across, near the 700 block of North Ocean Boulevard, officials said.

According to friends, the man jumped into the hole as a joke and the sides collapsed around him, leaving his head exposed, said Pompano Beach Fire-Rescue spokeswoman Sandra King.

Rescue crews arrived about 7 p.m, but taking precautionary steps for the rescue took time. Before crews began to dig, the sides of the hole were boarded up to prevent the sides from collapsing further and to shield against the man's head from becoming buried.

He had to be at the bottom of the hole to dig it down to 7 feet deep, right? If so, then why was he jumping in, if he was already in it? Did he get out to get his friends and show it to them and then jumped back in? What is the 'joke' about a 7 foot by 6 foot hole, and why is it funny to jump into one?

He had to be at the bottom of the hole to dig it down to 7 feet deep, right? If so, then why was he jumping in, if he was already in it? Did he get out to get his friends and show it to them and then jumped back in? What is the 'joke' about a 7 foot by 6 foot hole, and why is it funny to jump into one?

I guess it's a big novelty to dig a big hole in the sand not having much in the way of beaches in Austria.

Yikes. I'm not claustrophobic, but the thought of being pinned and unable to move creeps me out. The thought of being rolled up in a rug really gives me the willies.

During the summer I often go to the shore (did the same thing in Virginia Beach) several nights a week with the metal detector. It would be really creepy to find...

Eh, on to another thread - just too creepy to think about it.

well...had it been an Asiatic digging the hole...something along the lines of "I going home"...would be amusing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.