• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Daily Beast: The Racist Redskins

As has been said, if a sufficient number of Native Americans said it truly bothered them, perhaps then a change should be considered. But to be quite honest, I'm not even sure what a sufficient number looks like.

For me, I'd put the number at around 30%. If about a third of all Native Americans were honestly bothered and offended by the name then I'd think that we should probably take a second look at it and I'd probably back changing it. Right now as far as I know we're in that sub 10% range, but we don't know the standard deviation or confidence. That ten percent could be 15 or it could be 4. In any case, it doesn't feel like a significant part of the population.

As we know, it's almost impossible to find something that no one will complain about. Get me to a majority or a near majority and I'd worry. I think a lot of us have turned this over in our heads though and there's enough evidence that the name "Redskins" is considered a net positive by the NA community that I feel comfortable with the name.

http://m.voices.yahoo.com/is-redskins-name-offensive-native-americans-4710337.html

Does that say a souix named the team redskins and used to dress up?!
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Ha well yes it does....
(RING) Try again dumbasses.

Who gave the Redskins their name?

The original name for franchise was the Boston Braves. In 1933, the name was changed to Redskins by the team's coach William "Lone Star" Dietz who was actually Sioux. He was known to dress up in regalia and be open about his pride of being Native American. He saw the name as bestowing an image of pride and recognition for the Native American people. Therefore, the name itself came from a Native American who saw nothing wrong with the name.

Well the 25% of me that is Native American does not find our beloved team use of the Redskins offensive.

It appears that its mostly white people especially in the media who are offended. I guess they had some time off from their Gay is ok (and you better agree with us or else) Jihad to dredge up an issue that was not an issue to the masses.

I remember not too long ago how snivelers on the left and indoctrinated students on college campuses went after Mascots ie the Pioneers and the Minutemen because since they were white rugged males they were deemed not inclusive.

Then the women in comfortable shoes demographic, Feminists at Kennesaw State College in Marietta got the school's owl mascot Hooter renamed because hooters is a slang term for breasts.

I lost the download link to the book Political Correctness: A Critique

the only thing that disgusts me in this horse and pony show is the people who fund the idiots who do the dance year in and year out, I so hope the people giving the money for this know what they are paying for. If these idiots are getting funds from charities who are out trying to do real good in the world, I hope they rot in hell for misusing those funds.

As has been said, if a sufficient number of Native Americans said it truly bothered them, perhaps then a change should be considered. But to be quite honest, I'm not even sure what a sufficient number looks like.

ok...so what's the principle in play here? every time there is a word that may have more than one connotation one of which a group, no matter how large or small, finds offensive - that word has to be banished as a matter of law?

well then...I'm onboard! I think every dumbocrat/liberal who insulted millions of Tea Party types with the vulgarism of Tea Bagger needs to be prosecuted.

ok...so what's the principle in play here? every time there is a word that may have more than one connotation one of which a group, no matter how large or small, finds offensive - that word has to be banished as a matter of law?

well then...I'm onboard! I think every dumbocrat/liberal who insulted millions of Tea Party types with the vulgarism of Tea Bagger needs to be prosecuted.

We're talking about changing the name of a football team, not prosecuting anyone.

I'm did not form my opinion through political experience.

I refuse to even open a thread like this.

Me too, but I heard through the grape vine that the guy who wrote the article is talkin to congress about going after Mel Brooks, and having Blazing Saddles and other movies of his banned in this country.

Apparently Brooks has even a bigger black spot on his soul then Snyder....

One of the worst arguments given for changing the name (among many) is "It's just a name for a football team"...meaning, who cares if they change the name, it's just a silly game and people are putting too much importance on what a team is called.

The reality is, though, that Redskins is a brand and identity for a multi-billion dollar enterprise. The name "Redskins" has a tremendous value and worth that goes well beyond fan nostalgia. A business as lucrative and as intrenched in the national consciousness as the Redskins are can't simply change it's complete branding identity. It would be like asking Coca Cola to suddenly start calling Coke "Sparkly Slurp" because the old name has drug connotations. Who cares, right? It's just a name for a soft drink...still tastes the same and all that.

There is a tremendous amount tied into and associated with the name Redskins--it's one of the top 5 most valuable sport franchises in the world, afterall. Treating a complete change in its corporate identity as little more than renaming your new puppy "Spot" instead of "Fido" shows just how little thought some in this debate has given the issue.

Califan007.....very astute insights. and, one might suspect, one of the very objectives of some might be to undercut the brand.

I'm did not form my opinion through political experience.

ok....so let's put aside the barbs.

what is the principle in play? here's my angle....just like the next guy I'm sensitive about the proper use of language. for example, I simply don't use and get uncomfortable when others use the N word. but I'm leery of case by case decisions - need to know the underlying principle so there is consistency and some idea of how observance/implementation is supposed to unfold. to me...that also is part of the idea of fairness (i.e., we all know the rules).

It would be like asking Coca Cola to suddenly start calling Coke "Sparkly Slurp" because the old name has drug connotations..

Seriously, I love this line. I think it should be used more often.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.