• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

CSN Tandler - John Beck: 'I believe I'm a starter in the NFL'

SNF

The Starter
Reaction score
http://www.csnwashington.com/05/16/...dskins_loud3r.html?blockID=523582&feedID=9656

Monday, May 16, 2011

By Rich Tandler
Redskins Blogger
CSNwashington.com

Many people are skeptical of Washington Redskins quarterback John Beck’s ability to lead an NFL franchise.

Beck is not one of those people.

“I believe I’m a starter in the NFL,” said Beck to Adam Schein and Rich Gannon on SiriusXM NFL Radio on Monday.

He had a brief opportunity to start as a rookie after the Miami Dolphins drafted him in the second round out of BYU in 2007. The Dolphins were in the midst of a 1-15 season and Beck played like a rookie on a bad team. Even so, he is glad that he got the chance to play and he would do it all over again given the chance.

“I feel blessed for the opportunity that I had to be in a tough situation because if you want to be great in tough situations, you have to know how to play in them and you have to be comfortable in them,” he said. “So I actually yearn for the next opportunity when a tough situation comes up in a game because I feel like I’ve been there when the crap’s hitting the fan.

“Did it suck back then? Yes. But I’ve spent the last three years preparing myself mentally and physically so that when it comes up again, if it does, I’m ready.”

While he believes that he is ready, he understands if Redskins fans are skeptical.

“I don’t ask any fans to believe in me right now,” he said. “How could I? If you try to see what I’ve done in my career, I’ve stood on the sidelines and watched people and I went out as a rookie and played like a rookie. That’s it.

Quite a bit more at the link above ...

I beleive I'm the re-incarnation of George Patton. Doesn't really make it so.......

John Beck starts, Redskins tank, select Luck #1 overall in 2012. Doesn't sound ALL that terrible...other than sitting through another painful season. But we're pros at that by now!

I beleive I'm the re-incarnation of George Patton. Doesn't really make it so.......

Hell, Sarge, that wouldn't actually surprise me all that much...:)

The thing about Beck, to me, is that I don't know really quite what to expect. There's very little information to go on until I actually see the guy in a game situation-or, several game situations. I do like the fact that he's displaying self-confidence. I'm with fansince on this one-go for it! Show me what ya got, John.

Might as well, this is going to be another painful season anyway

we KNOW what we have with Grossman, a guy who will flash but then stink up the joint. we know that with a great team around him, if he goes on a streak he will be able to win in the playoffs OR kill you in the playoffs. we dont know what we have in beck and we may as well take a shot with him. worst case is we get a better draft pick.

Shanny seems very high on him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6558913

"I had a lot of confidence in John Beck when he came out in 2007," Shanahan said, according to The Washington Post. "I evaluate the quarterbacks every year, and I do have confidence in John Beck. He was by far my No. 1 guy. I think the world of him."

Beck ran the Redskins' scout team last season, impressing Shanahan with his work ethic.

"No. 1, I evaluated him throughout his pro career and collegiate career, so I know him quite well," Shanahan said, according to The Post. "And when you see a guy practice every day, whether it's your system or against the defense, surely you can see his strengths and his weaknesses. As I mentioned, I told you what I thought about him in college, and he has not disappointed me since he's been here."

Being the top quarterback of the 2007 draft class is like being the tallest little person in the room.

This is from the PFT article quoting Beck on Sirius radio that makes one wonder.

“I have to say I’m glad it happened,” Beck said on SiriusXM’s NFL Radio, via CSNWashington.com. “If I want my opportunity, I have to have stuff like this happen so I can get an opportunity. If McNabb stays as starter of the Washington Redskins, I remain a backup, and I want to be a starter. So, I have to hope for things like this to happen."

There are some varying points of view in response to this quote. Some would say that it is him being honest and saying what every backup says privately and then there are those who chastise him for not simply going out and earning the job without a situation like this to occur to get the chance.

I like his desire, but it does concern me that he appears to be reveling in the failure of a team mate.

And Beck is also high.

i bet if you ask rivers he says the same thing about brees
and if you ask rodgers he says the same about favre.

its very ballsy and putting yourself out there big time to make that comment but i cant slight him for it. he is speaking the truth and i would rather hear the stinging truth than someone powder my butt and slice my throat.
cant fault a guy for being honest, and you are right he is putting a bullseye on himself, I would be very happy if he turned out to be even solid.

i bet if you ask rivers he says the same thing about brees
and if you ask rodgers he says the same about favre.

its very ballsy and putting yourself out there big time to make that comment but i cant slight him for it. he is speaking the truth and i would rather hear the stinging truth than someone powder my butt and slice my throat.

I get that. When I was a freshman in high school, under my breath I hoped for the Sr. who started to fail. It meant I would start. He stunk up the joint and 4 games into the season I was starting.

I also recognize today that it is a bit selfish. I was less concerned with the coaching staff's decision or the team as a whole. I was more concerned with being the first Freshman in my high school to become a letterman. And I am not saying that is Beck's position, just that some perceive it as a me first attitude.

Like I stated, I am pleased to see him take charge. Leaders take charge. And like many things in life, the cards have to fall a certain way for certain opportunities to occur. I just wish he had kept that to himself so he doesn't come across like a me first kinda guy.

Most intriguing comparison I've heard to date was one I believe Shanny made with Rich Gannon.

I don't think even the most wide-eyed optimist really hopes John Beck will develop into an elite franchise QB here a la Montana, Brady, Manning. But it is NOT inconceivable the man could be a solid out-of-nowhere bridge guy for 2, 3 even 4 seasons while The Search for He Who Shall Be Great continues.

Gannon, Trent Green, hell even Kurt Warner ... those guys exist. Maybe Shanahan believes John Beck has that kind of unheralded, late blooming potential. I'm cool with giving a guy who won with the likes of Jake Plummer and Brian Griese a chance to roll those dice.

Last edited:
I had more faith in his QB scouting abilities before the Mcrapp debacle, but you make a good point, he has had some unheralded guys play very well for him and there have been stranger stories than becks. he is an older guy despite his lack of experience, so the warner comparison could be apt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.