• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

CSN: Shanahan's Draft History: O-Line

I'm really happy with whatever for once. WR, OL, QB, don't give a damn at this point, I trust him. That makeshift line towards the end of last season blocked pretty well IMO. Assuming we get some FA's (whenever this CBA crap happens), I easily could see the line being better.

Rich Tandler said:
It’s too soon to tell how Trent Williams will turn out, but he certainly has all of the physical tools and, besides, it is hard for even the least competent drafter to screw up the fourth overall pick.

Well, the Redskins have done it before. I give you Michael Westbrook, drafted 4th overall in 1995.

Let’s see what our O-line looked like at the end of last season:

Williams – LT
Lichtensteiger – LG
Rabach – C
Montgomery – RG
Brown – RT

IF, I’ll say it again, IF Jammal Brown is 100% healthy going into next season our Tackles look ok. We need a new developmental back-up guy at Tackle though. I think we can agree that Heyer has gotten as far as his talents will take him. I thought our Guard play towards the end of the season was ok. Not spectacular, but good enough for it not to be a "top of the list gotta have it now" need for us. Sure we could upgrade but between the three guys we have; Montgomery, Lichtensteiger and Hicks we should be able to find two guys who can start. Lichtensteiger seems to be a coaching favorite for some reason.

Then we come to Center. This is a problem area. Barring injury it’s the biggest question mark on the O-line IMO. Rabach might be great at calling out assignments and being a leader but he’s just not that good at blocking. His pass protection in particular is horrible and he's not getting any younger.

So if I’m looking to the draft I want a Center, someone who can come in and start right away so we can boot Rabach to the curb. I don't see us using our first or second round pick on a Center though so a developmental Tackle might be all we can hope for this year's draft barring a trade down scenario (which I'd like to see).

I don't think we can address Center in free agency this year even if there is any. The pic-kin's look mighty slim when I checked out the free agent list. All of the decent guys are either restricted or well past their prime. We don't need to go down that road again.

IF, I’ll say it again, IF Jammal Brown is 100% healthy going into next season our Tackles look ok. We need a new developmental back-up guy at Tackle though.

Then we come to Center. This is a problem area. Barring injury it’s the biggest question mark on the O-line IMO. Rabach might be great at calling out assignments and being a leader but he’s just not that good at blocking. His pass protection in particular is horrible and he's not getting any younger.

I think we are looking for a RT unfortunately. Brown is a FA. Rumor has it that he wants to be moved back to LT and wants to be paid like one. If this is true, he is as good as gone. We definitely need a C, but with so many holes on the team, sadly, I can see Rabach lasting one more year.

I think we are looking for a RT unfortunately. Brown is a FA. Rumor has it that he wants to be moved back to LT and wants to be paid like one. If this is true, he is as good as gone. We definitely need a C, but with so many holes on the team, sadly, I can see Rabach lasting one more year.

I didn't know Brown was unhappy, and that changes everything. If he's out of the mix we don't have much choice than to get a RT, probably in the second if we don't trade down for more picks. We don't have a legitimate starter at RT on the roster.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.