• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Creature Feature

My annual celebration of everything, creepy, spooky, and scary :)

It's not an oldie yet but is anyone else a fan of 'Bram Stokers Dracula'? Keanu, Winona and Hopkins, one of my favorites.

Last edited:
One of my faves is Duel, but I wouldn't classify it as a horror! A thriller, maybe, but definitely not a horror! However, my best are the Chucky franchise, or as the young kid next door calls them, 'the dolly movies'. If you have seen any, you will know why Jon Gruden is often referred to as Chucky!

Why do women in horror flicks wear their skimpy underwear, and run UPSTAIRS, or outside, when the 'horror' is nearby? The Wayans brothers got it right with the Scary Movie series, and with the ready access of HD video cameras, expect to see more 'horror' flicks than ever before.

My annual love letter to the horror movies of my childhood. One day, I'll do a modern version of my adult goodie list :)

Got hitched on Halloween so it is a favorite for me and my girl.

Horror Movie Favorites:
The Other - saw it in a matinee when I was pretty young - absolutely freaked me out
The Omen - grabbed a date's knee during the Nanny death scene and boy she screamed so loud and long
Halloween - Kicked off the genre, oh and Jamie Lee

Others that inspired more giggles than fright:
The Exorcist - how much pea soup was used to make this movie - loved the Georgetown steps
Dawn of the Dead - supposed to be the scariest but I started laughing about 20 minutes in - of course it could have something to do with the pre-theater festivities LOL.

Got hitched on Halloween so it is a favorite for me and my girl.

Horror Movie Favorites:
The Other - saw it in a matinee when I was pretty young - absolutely freaked me out
The Omen - grabbed a date's knee during the Nanny death scene and boy she screamed so loud and long
Halloween - Kicked off the genre, oh and Jamie Lee

Others that inspired more giggles than fright:
The Exorcist - how much pea soup was used to make this movie - loved the Georgetown steps
Dawn of the Dead - supposed to be the scariest but I started laughing about 20 minutes in - of course it could have something to do with the pre-theater festivities LOL.

If you liked 'The Others', you have got to see 'The Innocents'. Both were *supposedly* inspired by Henry James 'The Turn of the Screw' - but 'The Innocents' is far superior, probably makes the top 10 list of every serious horror fan that ever lived. I also highly recommend 'Dead of Night' which is a fantastic old British horror movie.

Let me throw this at you - when I think about the scariest most profound movie impact in my life it is Jaws. Came out of the theater on wobbly legs and still think about it when swimming.

So the question is - is that a good thing? To have a movie take something you have done throughout the East Coast and inject sinister thoughts for the rest of your life whenever you go swimming?

Let me throw this at you - when I think about the scariest most profound movie impact in my life it is Jaws. Came out of the theater on wobbly legs and still think about it when swimming.

So the question is - is that a good thing? To have a movie take something you have done throughout the East Coast and inject sinister thoughts for the rest of your life whenever you go swimming?

Creature Feature has a different connotation for me as I was brought up on a regular diet of Kaiju movies. Godzilla, Gamera, King Kong... to me that's a Creature Feature. :D

To this day Jaws is my unequivocal favourite film.

I was too young to see it on release (I was 4 years old!) but got the movie bug at a very young age and started sneakily watching films that were way above my age range pretty early. By the mid eighties I had a VHS machine the size of a small country in my room with a portable TV and was already buying VHS tapes from yard sales and ex-rentals from video shops funded by a paper round at our local newsagents. I remember getting Jaws and Close Encounters, couldn't have been more than 11 or 12 years old at that point.

Both scared the living bejeezuz out of me.

The scare of Jaws has worn off, but I still love the movie so much. I got wifey to watch it once and she was non-plussed by it. She's far too young to appreciate it. LOL

Crazy confession time... LOL

CEOT3K still unsettles me to this day, as stupid as that sounds. I remember getting CEOT3K and watching it fairly late at night on my own, the bit where the aliens are trying to get down the chimney etc and into the house scared the crap out of me. After watching the movie I turned out the lights and went to bed... but as a kid we lived on a street with orange sodium streetlights. It was a very spooky and sleepless night that night as I waited for the inevitable alien attack on the house. LOL

Fast forward to 2002 and the release of Signs, the M Night Shyamalan movie about aliens. I was dating a girl called Charlotte who lived with her family in the middle of rural England. To get to her farm you had to park up and walk down a track about a km long between two cornfields. We watched that movie together and I took her home and walked her to her door... then sprinted back to my car as those cornfields were spooking the heck out of me. LOL

My movie collection is now over 1000 movies and growing, I collect them on disc and love to browse old school for a movie to watch. The collection is heavily biased towards Sci-Fi and monster movies.

Yes :)

Gives you the opportunity to face your fears. More likely to see a Skins Super Bowl this year than get bitten by a shark.

That was the beauty of Jaws though (which absolutely is a horror movie) - tapped into a universal subconscious fear - and made us all afraid of something that could happen, however unlikely...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You must be referring to ‘Signs'. Intellectually stupid movie, but it definitely delivers the goods on being spooky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks - Knight that was a great reply. I was wondering if because of vacations up and down the East Coast US seaboard I may have been especially susceptible. Wondering if a California Surfer dude would feel the same and to find out someone in the UK felt similar was extremely cool.

Confession here: Studied Theatrical Arts in College so, I can unquivocalby say that the writers, directors and actors would be thrilled to know the impact of that movie on me and others - it's what they are all seeking. Make something that has gravitas and staying power - that is a legacy in the arts.

I appreciate the replies - I put a ton of work into that particular list of remembrances... with as much reverence and humor as I could muster. I think it's pretty good stuff. Keep the thoughts coming...

One more add on. So, I saw Jaws in 1975 at the theater.

Flash forward 40 years and we are at our place at Ocean City. As we are pretty high up we can see lots of of activity which never ceases to amaze me. So there I am watching for dolphins which were absent when I see something big in the water pretty close to shore. I start snapping crappy picks with my phone trying to figure out what it is and of course prove that I saw something.

That Monday I decided to do some research and see if anyone else saw what I saw and had any idea of what it was. Come to find out it was a tagged shark. Mary Lee - 16 foot great white prowling the coastline. Was able to see the pings right off the coast of Ocean City at the time I snapped the pictures............

Ugh, back to Jaws in the back of my mind! LOL

What was crazy was there were people in the water - not in deep but completely oblivious to her presence.

Brother @Om and I saw (and caught) huge sharks right off the coast of NC that if folks knew were there, they'd never go in the ocean. The eastern seaboard and west coast waters are teeming with sharks, large ones. I don't worry about Great Whites - it's the bull sharks off the East Coast that are responsible for most attacks. They are very aggressive and are primarily the ones that attack humans.

I lived in Hawaii for 3 years. Out there, it's the Tiger sharks that are something to watch out for. Woman disappeared off an Oahu beach when I was there. Her head floated ashore on a beach on the big island a week later. Tiger shark got the rest. They kill people every year in Hawaii.

A movie I thought was okay was Scanners. Never in my wildest dreams did I think one sequence would spawn a whole genre of similar scenes for the next 35 years. Just saw a commercial where everyone's head explodes that was recently done - still going on.

Wife and I were talking to an old codger (who worked the ferry)while taking the ferry from Hateras to Ocracoke. Probably 20 or so years ago and he was telling us that it is cyclical due to food availability. On that particular trip he was saying that he did not remember seeing the amount of big ones so close in that he had seen that year. Said at night it was spectacular.

Was at Avon about a week prior to someone getting eaten at dusk a few years back so it does happen but as you mentioned it is very rare.

You had Trilogy of Terror on your list - that was pretty good. Karen Black with those weird eyes.

Children of the Corn was okay - First Aliens pretty scary, The Thing (remake) was a little creepy.

Carrie - Awesome - both book and movie - Young Sissy Spacek, got to love it

Salem's Lot - okay - book was wonderful

It - same

Haven't seen The Stand but book was great.

Pet Cemetary - pretty creepy

Cujo - okay

Good one about skins fans - pretty soon we'll all be wearing heart monitors and cylcling helmets to watch!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.