• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Could a work stoppage benefit the Skins?

Hog Fever

Vescere bracis meis
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
I was just kicking around some random thoughts regarding the possible work stoppage next season. If the cap were to go away completely then everything changes, but that’s for another thread. My guess is there will be some kind of agreement that looks a lot like the system we have in place now except with a couple of extra games in exchange for a couple of added roster spots. Talking about that isn’t all that interesting though, so indulge my imagination for a minute.

Let’s say no agreement is reached in time for there to be a season next year. Barring trades of some sort that would give us our 2011 draft (admittedly short on selections) as well as a full 2012 draft to try to fill holes and inject some youth onto the roster. This could be a huge benefit for this team.

“But Hog,” you say, “if we have two draft seasons to try to rebuild, other teams in the league will too.” You’d be correct of course but I think a scenario of a double draft before the next actual season would benefit a team like ours more than an established 12-4 type team. To a team like that very few young players even make the team, especially the ones selected deeper in the draft that might take more time to develop.

If a team in need of talent and youth, such as ours, could draft well and make sensible free agent acquisitions in this scenario they could make a quantum leap in performance based on talent level alone.

This wouldn’t be the answer to all our problems of course. The down side is a lot of our vets would be a year older and that much closer to retirement, and we have lots of them. Still, it’s an interesting scenario that we might be able to turn to our favor.

Thoughts?

I might be with you if the team would be practicing together during the work-stoppage. However, they won't be. So instead of 15 young guys to get acclimated, every team will have 30 young guys to get acclimated in your scenario. I just don't see how it benefits any one team over another, all things being equal.

Yeah, that's probably closer to the truth than I care to admit. I can dream can't I?

well , truth be told, it might, because if we do get to draft twice we would be in a better spot than other teams because we have so many more holes to fill. however we would have to be prepared to take our lumps, and how would the second draft be determined?

I was just kicking around some random thoughts regarding the possible work stoppage next season. If the cap were to go away completely then everything changes, but that’s for another thread. My guess is there will be some kind of agreement that looks a lot like the system we have in place now except with a couple of extra games in exchange for a couple of added roster spots. Talking about that isn’t all that interesting though, so indulge my imagination for a minute.

Let’s say no agreement is reached in time for there to be a season next year. Barring trades of some sort that would give us our 2011 draft (admittedly short on selections) as well as a full 2012 draft to try to fill holes and inject some youth onto the roster. This could be a huge benefit for this team.

“But Hog,” you say, “if we have two draft seasons to try to rebuild, other teams in the league will too.” You’d be correct of course but I think a scenario of a double draft before the next actual season would benefit a team like ours more than an established 12-4 type team. To a team like that very few young players even make the team, especially the ones selected deeper in the draft that might take more time to develop.

If a team in need of talent and youth, such as ours, could draft well and make sensible free agent acquisitions in this scenario they could make a quantum leap in performance based on talent level alone.

This wouldn’t be the answer to all our problems of course. The down side is a lot of our vets would be a year older and that much closer to retirement, and we have lots of them. Still, it’s an interesting scenario that we might be able to turn to our favor.

Thoughts?

don't know the answer....but you get my vote for great/imaginative question of the week HF!...:claps:

what you're basicall ysyaing is that since we have more distance to close....two shots at restocking the roster serves us better than teams with fewer needs. in scouts we trust?!!

. however we would have to be prepared to take our lumps, and how would the second draft be determined?

Agreed. Since it's my little world here , to paraphrase Bob Ross, let's say the second draft is done by weighted lottery like the NBA draft based on the last full completed season.

don't know the answer....but you get my vote for great/imaginative question of the week HF!...:claps:

what you're basicall ysyaing is that since we have more distance to close....two shots at restocking the roster serves us better than teams with fewer needs. in scouts we trust?!!

Thanks for the first comment and yes to the second part.

I know there is probably too much money to be lost by both sides for a deal to not be worked out, but stranger things have happened. I could see how it could work out well for us, IF we're ready for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.