• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Congrats to Chris Hanburger, 2011 HOF Finalist

Jimbo

The Franchise Player
Reaction score
Looks like Leonard Shapiro and the fans have been heard. Former Redksins LB and nine time Pro Bowler Chris Hanburger is one of the two Seniors Committee picks for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2011. :claps:

http://www.profootballhof.com/enshrinement/2011/1/9/class-of-2011-finalists/

*EDIT* Damn hangovers. :( I already knew this back in August. Need to change the heading and move to the NFL Forum. Some puzzling names on the list but lots of deserving guys.

Last edited:
He was an incredible player, and this is long overdue.

There are incredible players all over this year's list.

He was an incredible player, and this is long overdue.

There are incredible players all over this year's list.

There are so many quality players that it makes it EXTREMELY difficult to pick and choose who gets in. Some deserving guys will likely be left off.

Hanburger should have been in the HOF years ago. He was a great LB. Loved watching him play.

Fingers crossed until Feb. 5th.

Makes it hard to pick my nose, but some things are worth it.

He should have been in long ago.

This brings a smile to my face......I would absolutely LOVE it if he gets in. I can still picture the Sports Illustrated cover (I think) of him and Pat Fisher prying the ball away from a Giants running back's hands (help an old guy out here, guys) and turning a game around.

On a side note, y'think Deion will go in as a Redskin?

LOL.....

This brings a smile to my face......I would absolutely LOVE it if he gets in. I can still picture the Sports Illustrated cover (I think) of him and Pat Fisher prying the ball away from a Giants running back's hands (help an old guy out here, guys) and turning a game around.

On a side note, y'think Deion will go in as a Redskin?

LOL.....

I'm pretty sure the Giants running back you're talking about was Ron Johnson. I remember that play. Hanburger flat out ripped the ball right out of his hands.

There are linebackers in the HOF who didn't make as many pro bowls, didn't win Defensive MVP honors or play as consistently as Hanburger did over 14 seasons.

If he had played for Dallas he would have been voted in already and wouldn't require Senior Committee acknowledgment.

Is this the game that you guys are talking about?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/cover/featured/8305/index.htm

If you click on this link, then click “View This Issue,” then go to page 23, there’s a photo of Hanburger and Mike Bass stealing the ball from Johnson. Cool stuff.

Wow, that whole magazine is a time capsule. The ads in there are amusing, especially the AMC Gremlin with Levi's denim upholstery, complete with orange stitching and "the famous Levi's tab" on the seats.

There are linebackers in the HOF who didn't make as many pro bowls, didn't win Defensive MVP honors or play as consistently as Hanburger did over 14 seasons.

If he had played for Dallas he would have been voted in already and wouldn't require Senior Committee acknowledgment.

yup, what makes it worse is that its so blatant.

Dave Wilcox of the 49ers who was a contemporary of Hanburger's made it into the HOF a number of years ago, making fewer pro bowls, never having been named a Defensive MVP and never playing on a Super Bowl team (even as a runner-up).

The thing that's different about the Senior Committee nominees is that they don't really go up against the rest of the nominees, per se. They get voted on separately and are voted on prior to the Modern Era nominees. As long as 80% of the voters think Hanburger or Richter are HOF worthy, they'll get in.

The Modern Era nominees have to contend with each other and that makes it tougher to come to a consensus and still get 80% of the vote. There is a vote that reduces the modern-era finalists list from 15 to 10. Following that, a vote is taken to reduce the list from 10 to 5 names. The five remaining candidates for Hall of Fame election are then voted on individually (yes or no) for membership.

It's possible some voters could NOT vote for one of the Senior nominees but it's not as likely because the Seniors Committee is usually pretty highly respected. It happens, but not all that often, that you don't see the Senior nominees elected to the HOF. I would be VERY surprised if Chris doesn't get elected.

My best guess for the other nominees who will make it:

Deion Sanders
Marshall Faulk
Shannon Sharpe
Willie Roaf
Cris Carter
Chris Hanburger
Les Richter

My picks:
Chris Hanburger
Les Richter
Deion Sanders
Ed Sabol
Cris Carter
Willie Roaf
Chris Doleman

Sharpe deserves to be in, but I don't think he necessarily has to make it in his first year or two of eligibility.

Sharpe deserves to be in, but I don't think he necessarily has to make it in his first year or two of eligibility.

Agreed BD. He pretty much HAS to make it at some point but there are several guys on the list right now who deserve to be in and only 5 modern candidates can make it per year. This may be one of the tougher years to predict.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.