• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Colt Brennan - Year Two

--------------------

Last edited:
Happy Birthday, Hawaii

Colt Brennan is Hawaii's top Athlete in 50 years.

http://tinyurl.com/nojzn8

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/section/videonetwork&videoid=1219914666

The 2009 presidential inauguration dinner was an historic event, and the celebrated guest with Hawai'i ties did not disappoint. He shook hands, posed for cell-phone pictures and signed autographs.

He did everything but eat.

That has been the familiar formula for Colt Brennan: Feed the fans' fever, starve Colt.

"He's always thinking of other people, and sometimes he doesn't have enough time for himself," said Chandra Kinilau, who was assigned to coordinate Brennan's off-field activities in 2007.

It was in January 2007 when the man became The Man.

In an emotional news conference broadcast live across the state, Brennan announced he would relinquish an opportunity to apply for the 2007 National Football League draft and return to UH for his senior season.

That roar of approval never ebbed the rest of that Disneyesque year.

From that chicken-skin moment, Brennan became the image of state pride. Hawai'i became a state 50 years ago today, but on that January afternoon, it was placed on the map.

"The second I made that decision," Brennan said, "my time became Hawai'i's time. Everything I did, I did for Hawai'i."

Click on the link for the whole story.

Big game for Colt against the Steelers tomorrow. The Ravens game was the first time he's looked less-than-stellar as a Redskin, and only the second time (Georgia--ouch), really, since he exploded on the scene as a Warrior in Hawaii. I don't think it had the slightest effect on him or his confidence, but it did burst a bit of a bubble for a whole lot of unrealistic people who thought he was going to simply step on the field---any field, with and against anybody---and make nothing but magic.

Colt will be as dialed in and focused tomorrow night as he's ever been, I'm guessing, wanting to make something good happen and recapture the buzz that had built around him. That kind of buzz can take on a life of it own and become tangible--fans buy into it, teammates buy into it, maybe eventually even coaches. Colt was riding a serious wave until Baltimore. I won't say he wiped out, but he did lose his balance a bit ... here's hoping he rights himself and gets back on track big time.

Cowabunga. :)

lol...

man, the colt love affair has carried over.

for a QB that has never played a single snap in the regular season he gets as much attention as most starting players on our team.

I think it lies in hope and the reality that Jason Campbell probably won't amount to a winning QB. Last year in pre-season we saw Colt bring the team back in 2 out of 3 of games trailing late. That is something we have not seen Campbell do in 4 years of play.

From everything I know of Colt, he is not carried away by hype and in most cases, is not even aware of it. His focus is pretty simple and straightforward - "do my job".

The press bubble is all around him but does not distract him- even the Jessica Simpson attention was deftly passed along to Chris Cooley who has the infrastructure and support staff to handle it.

Colt is more like a blue collar worker when he is on task. He is focused on becoming a franchise QB in the NFL. When he arrives, he will have earned it in spades.

Last edited:
pre-season?

dude, the Lions were 4-0 last year in pre-season.

that cant really be your stand for Colt is it? That he is a good QB in the pre-season? He is going against the 3rd string most of the time...
QUOTE]

It has less to do with the fact that it was pre-season as it was he had that "it" factor many speak of. I know it is just pre-season Mike, but he did what he had to do against other players that were supposed to be his equals and won.

I have since seen something different, but he has that winning edge and it took only a couple of pre-season games to show he had it. Jason Campbell has not exhibited it in 4 years, Pre-season or otherwise.

Until then...its practice man. were not talking games..were talking practice.

I can respect that Mike. Other than the New Orleans game, name another. I think, and I could be wrong, but I think it is only 2 or 3 games in all that he has started.

Yeah, it is only practice, but Colt did what was expected of him. He beat those players when the game was on the line. That shows promise and we will not know until he does have that opportunity. You're right! Last year he showed he wanted it, this year he hasn't, yet.

Jason Campbell, however is not going to be anything more than an average QB at best and we have already invested too much time with him.

That is why the love for Colt. Until he has a chance to prove himself in real game time action, he will remain a hope as long as there is no viable starting QB on the roster. Which is where we find ourselves now.

_b9-b.jpg

Danger! Danger Colt Brennan!

Colt better watch out or he won't make the team.

Colt done good today.
He's growing into the game and playing like a big boy with the big boys.

The Redskins as a team played like big boys, I thought.
Good Job!

HTTR!

I agree he's shown the physical ability to play with the big boys, Liz. Any concerns about his size and arm strength just don't hold water after watching him play. Where he's had problems---and given the competition with Daniel, may have him in trouble with the Redskins---is in the mental side of the game.

A pick a game in limited action isn't good. And the last two have come deep in the red zone, in close games, with the Redskins dictating the action. The one last night, in particular, was bad---pretty sandlot. He stared a receiver down on a slow-developing lateral route, then threw too low and not far enough out in front of the receiver. The combination decision/execution will get a lot of attention in film breakdown today---NFL quarterbacks just can't make that throw.

I'm a fan, you know that. But I'm afraid he's set himself back the last two weeks. Given the situation in DC, I don't know if he's done enough to keep him on the roster.

I'm glad Colt was able to put that int behind him. If he had had a crappy game after that, I think he would have been through here

Colt done good today.
He's growing into the game and playing like a big boy with the big boys.

The Redskins as a team played like big boys, I thought.
Good Job!

HTTR!

I can't agree with this. He made a couple of terrific throws. That doesn't equal a solid performance. He threw away the chance to get points definitely on one red zone opportunity, and arguably on a second. You can't do that.

He's a young kid, so I think his future rests largely on whether Zorn thinks he has the capacity to learn when it's okay to take risks, and when it's smarter not to.

I like Brennan a lot - mostly his fire, competitiveness, and ability to make something out of nothing. But he continues to throw points away and squander precious scoring opportunities, he won't be a Redskin much longer.

I can't agree with this. He made a couple of terrific throws. That doesn't equal a solid performance. He threw away the chance to get points definitely on one red zone opportunity, and arguably on a second. You can't do that.

He's a young kid, so I think his future rests largely on whether Zorn thinks he has the capacity to learn when it's okay to take risks, and when it's smarter not to.

I like Brennan a lot - mostly his fire, competitiveness, and ability to make something out of nothing. But he continues to throw points away and squander precious scoring opportunities, he won't be a Redskin much longer.

think Chase is going to beat him out?

If I had to guess right now, I'd say no - Brennan stays by the hair on his chinny chin chin :) But who knows - if we see Daniels slated for a significant portion of the final pre-season game, that might be a bad sign for Colt...

Some people are experiential learners. I think Colt is one of those. Consistency will come with reps with the players he will be playing with come gametime.
Colt has a lot of 6th sense and opens a communication channel as wide as the Mississippi for his guys to align with when a rhythm can be established.

As has been said before... this is preseason and time to get out there and learn from experience in gametime scenarios when losses don't hurt the team record. I hope they play him a lot with the starters to help him establish in his mind and muscles, the next stage of this journey.

I gotta say that even though the points say loss, I think the Redskins came out real winners yesterday. Especially Jason, Coach Zorn and the first team!
HTTR!

Nice take Liz :cheers: I love the positive outlook - that's why we need more females on board here!

The interception wasn't what bothered me as much as taking the sack within field-goal range for a loss. Interceptions happen to every QB-and yes I know Colt's had an apparant knack for that in his appearances-but any QB at any level, not just pro, should know to throw away the ball rather than give up good field-goal position-don't hurt yourself. It seemed to me like a lack of situational awareness or, and maybe I'm reading far too much into this, too much reliance on physical skills, in an attempt to salvage the play. This does not inspire a lot of confidence in me as far as critical decision-making in the heat of the moment. The kid's got the physical skills and a hell of an arm-I just think he doesn't play what I would call "heady" football.

Brennan continues to play irresponsible and reckless ball.

He cost the team 10 points by failing to take care of the ball and field position in scoring territory.

On the interception the DB had inside coverage and Brennan threw the ball anyway.

At the end of the game you don't take a sack to put the team out of reasonable FG range.

Colt's decision-making has not improved from last year despite all his pronouncements.

He is still a sandlot football player.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

On the Colt Brennan pick-six ...

Just ran the play back. That's just a badly located pass. Colt threw a beat late, but even then it's a walk-in TD if he puts the ball out front of Hackett instead of off his back shoulder.

Malcolm Kelly's out wide right, and takes an inside route to the back of the end zone. The corner goes with him, leaving the entire right side of the end zone open. Hackett comes out of his break at the goal line, heads toward the pylon and looks back at Colt.

Hackett's defender is a yard deep in the end zone and a good yard behind him in relation to the pylon/sideline. There's 10-15 yards of open space between Hackett and the sideline for Colt to loft it. The defender is behind the play and breaking underneath as the ball is released, so if the ball is anywhere out to the right in all that air, he's beat and it's over--a Colt Brennan TD and he's the golden boy.

Colt's throw not only isn't out in front leading Hackett, however, it's actually a little behind him given Hackett's momentum toward the pylon. Hackett starts to slow down and turn back to the ball, showing it was clearly not properly led. The defender has momentum back toward the field though, and gets there a split second before the ball reaches Hackett.

The problem wasn't the decision. The problem was a very badly located throw.

The thing we'll never know if Colt simply missed, or didn't process the field and threw to the wrong location. Either way ... six points the other way, a very lucky NE defender and Colt's on the Fan Hot Seat.

It's a game of inches.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.