• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Clinton Portis: Redskins release coming today

In spite of his tendency to run his mouth too much and a flair for the theatrical, I just always liked CPo. Best wishes to him.

I wasn't the biggest CP fan, but i can't help but think how much he could have helped us this year. Some of them runs Torain was getting for 10 to 15 yds CP could have got 20 to 30 yds. Plus he really could have helped out in the screen game. I'm not convinced Torain can make it a full season and i don't see much in our back-ups.

If, and that's a big if, he can stay healthy i believe he could still really help us in this offense. I hope we get a chance to resign him.

I hope we get a chance to resign him.
This.

Until he signs with another team, or retires, I'll hold out hope he may yet play for us this year.

After the total ass wipe Riggins has become, I really wanted Portis to get the rushing record too.

Clinton Come Home!!!

As the saying goes.... There is a God.

I like Portis, he has more heart then any two players on most teams, but his day came and went more then a season ago. We need to get into the habit of cutting loose players before they become a liability, not after like Jansen, and Thomas just to name a few.

I wish him all the best, as long as it's somewhere besides the Redskins. I don't want him back, as it means a younger player isn't getting a full opportunity. Once we get the O line in order, I fully expect Shanny to be able to do the plug and play as he did in Denver with running backs.

I agree with you Pete. Loved CP while he played for us and his heart can never be questioned.

I'm thinking the Oline will be a priority in the draft - much more so than people realize. Other needs can be filled in FA and future drafts.

I like Portis, he has more heart then any two players on most teams, but his day came and went more then a season ago. We need to get into the habit of cutting loose players before they become a liability, not after like Jansen, and Thomas just to name a few.

I wish him all the best, as long as it's somewhere besides the Redskins. I don't want him back, as it means a younger player isn't getting a full opportunity. Once we get the O line in order, I fully expect Shanny to be able to do the plug and play as he did in Denver with running backs.

THIS. Nobody will ever forget 2005 when he put the team on his back, and he's earned his position in Redskins lore, but all things must come to an end at some point.

Well said. On top of that I'll add that I got tired of hearing his mouth about 5 years ago. If he had just kept it shut, I'd probably be a fan. As it is, I'm glad he didn't break Riggos' record

See ya CP

I'm hoping we resign Rex as a stop gap QB for a season or two, while we build the lines. I'd like to see it prior to the draft, as it would be a good sign that we're focusing on other areas of need first.

I know I'm in the minority here but I would take him back at a cap friendly number and do it in a NY minute. Younger guys are fine as long as they can get the job done. I just don't see it happening this year, not with all the holes this team has to fill. Especially not with the labor situation that I would bet will keep teams from trading guys before or during the draft. Not to mention Free Agency cant' happen till there is a new CBA which is going to make getting the guys you want tough and expensive. It will also likely mean they won't have nearly the time necessary to fully learn a new system or bond with teammates.

Right this minute, the team has 6 confirmed draft picks this year with a 7th floating out there from the Tryon trade. None in the 3rd or 4th rounds. We need, at a minimum, a C, a RT, a NT, a DE, a FS, a CB and a guy to be the bookend to Orakpo. That is without considering depth anywhere (like middle LB, WR and OG) or the huge hole at the most important position in professional team sports, QB.

If CP would sign for an unguaranteed $2 mill plus incentives for a year, I'd be all over it. He fills a need with more talent than we can get from anyone short of a 1st round pick and he has had the playbook for a year so knows what he is doing. My guess right now is the teams that manage to keep most of their guys from last year and avoid much turnover in the starting ranks will do better than those that don't this year.

Aso cut Dockery. Just saw on Twitter, no link.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Aso cut Dockery. Just saw on Twitter, no link.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Saw that too. Not too surprised considering he finished the season on the bench. I see more changes ahead.

NFL Network (JLC) is reporting that the Skins have cut Andre Carter and plan to release Ma'ake Kemoeatu by Thursday. WOW!

Yeah, Carter will get snatched up quickly - well, if there were a CBA in place he'd get snatched up quickly. Without a CBA...not so sure. But that aside, a team like the Bears or Panthers is gonna give him a nice pay day, and he's gonna earn it.

I was wondering when this was going to start.

It's interesting to me that they'd start the "housecleaning and online firestorm creation" before the CBA situation resolved itself into whatever the hell it's going to resolve itself into.

I know I'm in the minority here but I would take him back at a cap friendly number and do it in a NY minute. Younger guys are fine as long as they can get the job done. I just don't see it happening this year, not with all the holes this team has to fill. Especially not with the labor situation that I would bet will keep teams from trading guys before or during the draft. Not to mention Free Agency cant' happen till there is a new CBA which is going to make getting the guys you want tough and expensive. It will also likely mean they won't have nearly the time necessary to fully learn a new system or bond with teammates.

Right this minute, the team has 6 confirmed draft picks this year with a 7th floating out there from the Tryon trade. None in the 3rd or 4th rounds. We need, at a minimum, a C, a RT, a NT, a DE, a FS, a CB and a guy to be the bookend to Orakpo. That is without considering depth anywhere (like middle LB, WR and OG) or the huge hole at the most important position in professional team sports, QB.

If CP would sign for an unguaranteed $2 mill plus incentives for a year, I'd be all over it. He fills a need with more talent than we can get from anyone short of a 1st round pick and he has had the playbook for a year so knows what he is doing. My guess right now is the teams that manage to keep most of their guys from last year and avoid much turnover in the starting ranks will do better than those that don't this year.

So you've completely written off the two backs we have under contract ?

So you've completely written off the two backs we have under contract ?

Nope, didn't say that. But Torain has a history of injury. This was his third year and he has yet to play 16 games in one of them. Williams was OK but not an upgrade over even an injured Portis, much less a healthy one. There would be plenty of touches for the 3 of them.

This team just has too many holes, big ones, to use either their 1st or 2nd round pick on a RB and I think that is what it will take to better the talent and effort of Portis, even at 30 years of age.

I also think this is going to be a short season which might be perfect for Portis right now.

Of all our priorities/needs, I am least concerned with our RBs...not that we don't need 'thenextgreatRedskinsrunningback', but Torain and Williams were more than serviceable last season and that was with a revolving door/semi-suspect O-line and ineffective passing game for the most part.

And Bob - compared to Portis, our younger backs are the picture of health. It's tough for any back to go an entire season without missing some time. I'm satisfied with who we've got in the backfield until we can afford to draft new talent there (like maybe next year or the year after).

I don't want to waste a roster spot for Portis when we could be giving a younger player at any position the chance to catch on. He's dead weight and we're not going to the playoffs more than likely. We need to move on. This is one of the 'tough' decisions that is required to do what a lot of Redskins fans have called for for several years - and that's to rebuild and engage in a serious youth movement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.