• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Clinton Portis Joining Lawsuit Against NFL

tshile

LANHAM, Md. (CBSDC) — Clinton Portis, a former running back who has been honored as one of the 80 greatest Redskins of all-time, said in an interview earlier this year that he suffered more than 10 concussions during his nine-year NFL career.

Now, he has joined other former NFL players in a lawsuit against the league.

The suit, which was filed in a Florida District Court, says Portis “sustained mild traumatic brain injuries caused by concussive and sub-concussive impacts while playing in the NFL.”

Portis “was returned to play too soon after having sustained these concussions and subsequently suffered other head injuries or blows to the head…At no time did the NFL Defendants inform Plaintiff Portis that he risked severe and permanent brain damage by returning to play too soon after sustaining a concussion. The NFL Defendants’ failures were a substantial cause of his current injuries.”

The suit says the former athlete now suffers from headaches, and has a “heightened risk of
developing further adverse neurological symptoms in the future.”

Portis’s 2009 campaign was memorably cut short by severe concussion in a game against the Atlanta Falcons in which he lost consciousness. He only played five games after that.

The hit he took in the Falcons game, the most highly publicized of his career, landed him on injured reserve. But prior to that, Portis says playing through concussions was a matter of routine.

“The truth is I had a lot of concussions,” Portis told Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com earlier this year. “It was just the way things were at the time. I’d get hit hard and be woozy. I’d be dizzy. I’d take a play off and then go back in. Sometimes when I went back into the game, I still couldn’t see straight. This happened all the time. Sometimes once or twice a game.”

Also in that interview, Portis said he only suffers from “a few aches and pains, nothing major,” as a result of the concussions. “None of the, 'I can’t stand up or walk’ stuff.”

Clinton Portis Joins Concussion Lawsuit Against NFL « CBS DC

Regardless of my opinions on the former players suing the league (which I admit is formed while lacking important information), if anyone deserves to try to fight this Portis is certainly one of them. We ran him into the ground and abused him; he was a true warrior for us. He was one of the few people during a bad era of Redskins football that went out there and made it his mission to blow the other guy up every play, whether the ball was in his hands or not.

Looking at this dispassionately, I would wonder about the timing of his concussions. If the majority of them happened early on, before the concussion buzz happened, I would say he very well be entitled to something, depending on what is discovered about what the NFL knew and when they knew it. If his concussions happened late in his career however, I think the argument could be made that he played with the knowledge that concussions might be an issue and responsibility lies with his own decisions.

Portis has to be one of the most recent players to join these lawsuits, right? His will be an interesting case for all this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.