• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Christmas Traditions - Running Thread

MikefromOH

The Hall of Famer
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Military Branch
Navy
What are your Christmas traditions in your home?

I like to turn all the lights off so that the indoor christmas lights and tree are the only thing going. Have a nice fire, watch movies, and then when the boys go to bed we leave cookies and beer for the big guy. We have told the boys that Santa takes his lunch break here and has a beer at our home.

That tradition of yours sounds eerily similar to ours, except for the beer for Santa, when the boys were still living at home. Now Frannie and I chill with the lights, watch Christmas movies, and sip on bourbon. Our Christmas dinner has always been the same. Standing Rib roast, garlic mashed potatoes, oven roasted brussels sprouts and gravy. We don't want too many people in the house at one time, so we're changing it up. Our youngest son and his girlfriend will be over tomorrow for dinner, and we're doing a rack of pork, instead of beef. Christmas Day just Fran and me and crab-cakes and beer. Our oldest son, daughter-in-law and grandkids will be by the day after Christmas and we'll have lasagna for lunch....and scotch...

My wife has a little carved nativity set. My tradition is stealing baby Jesus in the manger and hiding him all over the house in creative places. My wife loves this.

Movies I have to watch

Elf
Die Hard
A Christmas Story

Bah! Humbug!!!

Mike, we have a very similar set of traditions here, except I cannot burn fires in the fireplace this time of year. Megan's throat is highly sensitive to the burning wood, and we don't have an insert. She sings at 3 services every Christmas/Christmas Eve so no fires. Eventually we are switching to a gas fireplace...never thought I would, but I love a good fire and it sucks not having one.

Anyway, the kids always want to go to bed early so getting them to bed is an easy task, usually out by 8. Before they go to bed, we usually watch some Christmas related stuff. Actually, Elf was introduced to them last night so tonight we'll watch Rudolph...Patrick made sure it was recorded weeks ago.

Before the kids go to bed, cookies are set out for the Big Guy, the kids go to bed, and we place the presents around the tree. Then Megan will have a glass of Egg Nog, she and I will watch Bad Santa, while I try to get some when her inhibitions are lessened from the...er...umm...yeah! We watch Bad Santa!

Megan goes to bed, and I usually shed a small tear or 2 of joy at the unbelievable blessings in my life as I stare at the Christmas tree by myself.
"
Merry Christmas to all of you!

I thought this thread was about running on Christmas. 😑

Well Forrest said "from that day on I was running"

Boone, did you leave the door open?!!

It's snowing in the house!

These kids were so excited. they jumped in bed and demanded I get up. I asked why, they yelled, "It's Christmas!!" I asked what that means, and they said it's Jesus' birthday and Santa left presents!!!

I said, nah...I'm going back to sleep. Wake me up in an hour. My daughter exclaimed, daddy...get out of bed now! PRESENTS!!!

Attachments

• BS1_5561.jpg
    BS1_5561.jpg
    768.4 KB · Views: 132
My Christmas tradition is watching the Godfather movies by myself before anyone else is stirring.

Nothing says Merry Christmas like Italian Americans killing one another.

my "adopted father" would always have Westerns going on at his house whenever we would go up there for the holidays. Any holiday. I always slept on the pull out sofa, but it was a really nice one with a great mattress.

0600 and he would be sitting on a different part of the couch with a cup of coffee in his hand just watching Roy, Gene, Clint, or someone being completely badass. he would always just look at me and smile.

I do that now sometimes with the boys. I will just be watching a western thinking of him.

Just watched Outlaw Jose Wales Wednesday Night.

Speaking of traditions, every year on his radio show at Christmas, my Uncle Mike would read this parable to end the show.

As a kid, we would travel to see my grandmother in Florida every Christmas. I think I remember 1 or 2 Christmases as a kid where we were in MD instead of Florida. After getting married, my wife and I set a plan to alternate between our families for the various holidays throughout the year. So every other Christmas we are either with her family in SC or with mine. That could be Florida, MD, or Texas where my sister lives now.

Five years ago, all my family went to Florida to visit my grandmother. 13 of us piled into her house sleeping all over the floor and anywhere else we could. We weren’t trying to be morbid, but we thought it might be my grandmothers last Christmas. She was 86 at the time. So it was special for us all to be together. In 2019, she was sent up to MD earlier than expected fearing she might be in her last days. She made it through the year with no issues. So she went back to Florida for the winter and my wife and I visited her and spent Christmas with her again in Florida. She wasn’t doing well when we got there but improved throughout our time. So we treasured our time with her. They sent her to MD in March because they were worried it was her last days. She has been taken off medical care and under hospice care since June. Today, I got to talk to her again on Christmas through FaceTime since we are on SC with my in-laws. So she is still alive and well despite her health. She will be 92 in about a week. She has always been a huge part of my Christmas memories and traditions. So it is great to get to see and talk to her again on Christmas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.