• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Cheers and Jeers Week 2

redskins26

The Team Captain
Reaction score
Military Branch
Navy
Give your proprs atta boys and the bad stuff to here.

Rushing game was clicking today Hightower and helu combined for 150 some yards

The Jeers

the 2 picks

Yeah, while I admire Rex for pulling off the comeback, he was a major part of the problem early on. While it is fine to have an off half against the Cards, that ain't gonna work for us against good teams.

Positives are that Helu and Hightower are a VERY good combo. In fact, I will go out on a limb here and say that Helu will be starting by the end of the year, with Timmahh being the change of pace back.

Cheers first since I was rather negative during the game:

-Tim Hightower ran well but had a couple of really nice blocks picking up the blitz.
-Roy Helu was great. It was odd to see the smaller Helu run through the tackles, and do it so well! He has a great cut!
-Rex showed no fear in the game and brought us back late for the victory. That was big.
-Brian Westbrook saved us from all having a heart attack at the end of the game with a forced fumble.
-Ryan Kerrigan is awesome! Expect Rak to be the beneficiary of teams starting to focus on Kerrigan.
-Our defense is getting pressure, but it would be nice to see us get more pressure without blitzing.

Jeers:
-This team scored 13 points in 5 red zone appearances. That is not acceptable when you are running all over the defense the way they were.
-Rex has to eliminate the boneheaded plays. Good thing they appened early so we were able to overcome them.
-Kyle made some great play calls, but some real head scratchers as well. In the second half, we started every possession throwing the ball when we had a lead. Why? In the first half the run game was going so well. On our first 2 2nd half possessions we were fasced with 3rd and long because we abandoned the run. That gave the Cards a chance to get their offense going. give credit to our defense for keeping the Cards from putting it on us.

Cheers: younger players like Davis, Kerrigan and Helu showing they are integral parts of the future here. also veterans in Fletcher and Moss that are continuing to show everyonee how to prepare and perform on Sundays as leaders.

Jeers: interior line on the blocked field goal. when you have a 6'7 guy in the middle who is there to stand up and stretch to get height, you have to chop him and get him off balance. the Redskins didn't do that against Calais Campbell and he blocked a kick that probably would have been good. Gano was on today from what I saw and had enough height for that ball to clear the line if Campbell had not gotten that kind of penetration standing upright.

Coaching Jeer: on the two point conversion put Helu out there to offer the defense a threat they have to defend against in the backfield.

Cheers!!! We won another game we should have!!! See u guys in a couple weeks!

Duck Fallas!!!
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Cheers to the team for overcoming adversity and earning the win.

Jeers to the special teams. With the biggest jeer for coach Smith. The buck stops there.

Blocked field goal
Kickoff out of bounds, and the poor coverage on back to back kickoffs. I believe both time he called for the angled kick, and both were complete failures.

This unit is underwhelming, so far.

-This team scored 13 points in 5 red zone appearances. That is not acceptable when you are running all over the defense the way they were.

This is our biggest problem. It was a problem last year and we almost loss this game because of the inability to score in the red zone. Unless this is corrected, it will be a long season.

I wrote this in another thread, but I am going to repeat it. I am giving props to Sav Rocca. No one else is discussing him. He has 6 punts inside the 20. We only had 22 all of last year. He has not had a touchback and has had four returns.

We have not seen a real punter in some time and he has been mediocre in his career. But he is playing quite well right now. At this moment, I am happy with his production.

Since I have unofficially been annointed "By The Numberes Guy":rolleyes: (thanks fansince...I think.:)) I'll throw in a couple of statistical cheers and jeers, Granted it is very early in the season but still accolades-and criticisms still can apply.

Cheers.

Following up on the Omniscient's mention of San Rocca, his 6 punts inside the opponents 20 leads the league at this point.

Our new speedier D has a league leading stat as well. We are holding opponents to a 21% 3rd down conversion rate.

We are tied with the Green Bay Packers for 4th place in team sacks with 7.

Our OL protected Grossman much better in the Cardinals game allowing only one sack. The Cardinals dropped young, strong, fast Wunderkind Cam Newton four times when they played the Panthers, by the way.

Aside-Welcome back Trent, nice to see ya-please stick around. We're going to need that kind of performance Monday night. Remember that 7-sack-good-for-a-4th-place-tie-with-Green-Bay stat? The Cowbums lead the league with 10 sacks.

Jeers.

That wonderful job our D is doing in holding down opponents 3rd down conversion percentage has a dark opposite number on the offense. We're converting 3rd downs at a rate of 34% so far. That ranks us at #22. We need to improve on this. Dallas' D is not doing a very good job of holding down opponents 3rd down conversion percentage-47& ranked 27th in the league right now-so we may have a chance to improve our performance here.

Source link: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=DOWN_3RD_PERCENTAGE&tabSeq=2&season=2011&role=OPP&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&qualified=true

Love the 21% conversion rate and 4th place with team sacks. Hopefully it will continue. It will be a heck of a turnaround from last year.

Was only able to watch the 2nd half, but here are my cheers & jeers:

Cheers:
Grossman - put those two TDs right on the money, and that 4th-down TD to Moss was a thing of beauty! It also appeared as if only one of the INTs was his fault, the other going off Armstrong's hands. Can't fault Sexy Rexy for those types of picks.

Helu - kid just looks faster than anyone out there. Don't be surprised to see him gobble up more and more of Hightower's carries as the year progresses. Gonna be a superstar.

Moss - consummate professional, just keeps kicking butt. Great 3rd down conversion on the final drive, and also 2 for 2 on 4th downs this year, including yesterday's TD. I'm hoping for his biggest season yet! I don't think they've even sent him deep yet...lulling the Cowboys to sleep? I can't believe I advocated letting this guy walk in the offseason...I'm eating some major crow on this.

EDIT:
Just saw Mike's, and I forgot Freddie Davis. Dude is breaking out, glad I claimed him in two leagues. Gonna try for the third this week. Beastmode! Finally seeing the USC Freddie Davis, and not sleepy-head Jim Zorn Fred Davis.

Jeers:
Armstrong - gotta catch the ball, bro!

D Hall - how do you lose Larry Fitzgerald for a 77-yard TD? Just doesn't seem possible. You ask to cover the opposing team's best WR, you better cover that guy.

Red zone offense - 13 points in 5 appearances is turrible kenny, just turrible.

Studs and Duds Defense:

Studs

LB Brian Orakpo. He got his first sack of the season and he also had a quarterback hurry, a pass defensed and a forced fumble. He chased Kevin Kolb out of the pocket on a few occasions and his sack/fumble was a vicious hit that caused the ball to pop high in the air (make the catch Adam Carriker and you’re on this list!). It’s not just the pressures anymore with Orakpo; he’s doing a much better job of setting the edge. On the first play of Arizona’s fourth series, Orakpo forced RB Beanie Wells to cut inside where Stephen Bowen was waiting after shedding his block. This came two plays after his forced fumble, in which he took a step to his right just before the snap to get wider. It worked as tight end Jeff King tried to engage him, but Orakpo had enough speed and power to ram into him then bounce outside. He stumbled, but never really lost much speed en route to the quarterback. And one play later Orakpo deflected a screen pass. There were one or two times he could not get off his block to make a tackle, but for the most part he’s improved at setting the edge this season. Also not sure I love when he’s in a four-point stance; haven’t seen much pressure from this yet.

LB London Fletcher. I’m just going to leave his name here for the rest of the season; that OK with everyone? Because it seems like Fletcher will be here a lot. He’s two for two. He had two quarterback hurries, an interception and a pass defensed. His tackle total wasn’t too high, in part because he wasn’t running clean to the ball like he did in the opener. And the Cards only ran the ball 16 times. Fletcher’s mark was made in the passing game. He blitzed effectively. In the first quarter, his blitz through the A gap (see below for more details) led to a hurried throw. Fletcher also made the diving interception of a tipped pass that killed an Arizona scoring drive. And he nearly prevented a touchdown pass, drilling Kevin Kolb just after he unleashed his TD pass to Larry Fitzgerald. Kolb wisely slid two steps to his right after the snap; that gave him enough time to make the throw.

LB Ryan Kerrigan. Once more the rookie made some mistakes. Once more the rookie made plays to compensate. This kid isn’t as explosive as Orakpo, but if he’s making plays now imagine what he might do when he’s a finished product. He had a sack, a tackle for a loss, a quarterback hurry and two passes defensed. He pushed back right tackle Brandon Keith early in the second quarter, jamming his hands into his pads. That was a prelude to his sack near the end of the second quarter in which Kerrigan shoved Keith back the same way, getting his hands immediately into his pads and driving him back. Looked textbook; excellent base, allowing him to get good leg drive. He also had a pressure in which he used speed to get around Keith, forcing Kevin Kolb to run where Rocky McIntosh was waiting. Kerrigan had good coverage on Fletcher’s interception, though it helped that the pass was behind the receiver. Still, Kerrigan was in good position. Kerrigan made a nice tackle from the backside, helped by the right side of the defense giving no ground. And he tipped a pass. Again, this is from a guy who has been playing this position for less than two months.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs...duds-defense-redskins-cardinals#ixzz1YapTA3I3

...And Studs and Duds Offense:

Studs

RB Roy Helu. He’s fun to watch, but I’d hate to try and tackle him. He’s always moving forward and consistently gets more yards after contact. Why? Probably because of the way he cuts it’s hard to get a good shot at him to drive him back. Rather, you’re left going for his legs and that enables him to fall forward for another yard or two. Of his 10 runs, nine gained positive yardage and he managed to squeeze out an extra yard – or five or six – after contact on the majority of those. Take this one, for example: On a seven-yard run in the second quarter, Helu gave corner A.J. Jefferson a shoulder shake and cut back inside. A two-yard run turned into a seven-yard gain. On the 33-yard screen pass he hurdled Kory Lichtensteiger and when he hit the ground he appeared to get back to full speed right away. One more run to discuss. It came right after the screen, too. On Helu’s 11-yard run in the second quarter, he did a fantastic job of pressing the hole on a stretch zone to the left. He froze linebacker Stewart Bradley in the hole, then cut wide. Because of Helu’s patience, fullback Darrel Young reached Bradley to create a bigger cutback lane. Oh, and Helu shook Jefferson again for four more yards. Those extra yards add up. I still am not sold on him in pass protection; he picked up a couple blitzes, but his technique is not good – constantly lowers his head.

RB Tim Hightower. He showed his former team what he could do (though they had to be very pleased with what Beanie Wells did, so I don’t think they regret losing Hightower). He finished with 96 yards on 20 carries and gained 10 more on a catch. He did a good job picking up the blitz as well, though he got lucky that he wasn’t flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct on the first drive. He blocked linebacker Paris Lenon after he had stopped and the play was clearly over. Maybe Hightower didn’t know; my guess is that his intensity took over. Regardless he was lucky; Lenon retaliated and was caught.

TE Fred Davis. Goodness sakes, Fast Freddie has become their biggest weapon. Who would have guessed that? He finished with 86 yards on six catches, including a 40-yarder that should have been a lot more if Rex Grossman had led him at all. That play is difficult to stop with Davis. The linebackers have to honor the play fake (the line slanted to the left and Grossman booted to the right). Davis just runs flat along the line and then does a wheel route. By the time the linebacker has figured the play out, he’s downfield all alone. Davis’ blocking was not the best. See the issue Cooley had too. It wasn’t like it was every play, but Davis blocked better in the opener. Still, on Darrel Young’s third and 1 run, Davis blocked the linebacker inside, creating the hole. And right now he’s making his money with his hands. Grossman was looking for him on several other plays, but the Cards had him covered. Davis made a couple grabs that were terrific, including one in which it looked like the ball might hit the ground. Strong hands.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs...duds-offense-redskins-cardinals#ixzz1YapdsmZQ

I haven't heard anything about how that FG got blocked? I was at the game and my friend was complaining it was Gano's fault for kicking it low. I saw a replay and it looked like Campbell just hopped right over the line without being touched.

Who can I jeer for this? :)

cheers:
young players playing well.

jeers:
the injuries to the defense in the 2nd half. the cardinals walked all over us once guys started dropping. we clearly still have a depth problem with the secondary.

I haven't heard anything about how that FG got blocked? I was at the game and my friend was complaining it was Gano's fault for kicking it low. I saw a replay and it looked like Campbell just hopped right over the line without being touched.

Who can I jeer for this? :)

It was a blown assignment. The Cards loaded up Campbell's side of the field.. The blocker (I couldn't catch who on the replay) who should have picked up Campbell slid to double team the player to his right, leaving Campbell pretty much untouched. When the blocker who missed his assignment went to his right instead of engaging Campbell, it left 4 on 2 on that side of the field.

Why is Rex constantly blamed for the first interception. I see people saying the second should never have been tipped up, but at least on the second one the pass was high to begin with.

The first interception was a pass interferance call missed. If the WR doesn't have his shirt held, the pass hits him in stride. How often have we said, "A pass in stride, and the WR would still be running." No, the WR would have been tackled, but not before a decent gain. It was a timing play, and to my eyes I'm still not sure why Rex is taking heat for it. I thought it was the better read/throw of the 2 interceptions, and both are the types of plays with which we have to learn to live for as long as we are going to play an aggressive pass oriented offense.

Everyone keeps praising Rex for bouncing back. I'll just add my take. He deserve praise not for bouncing back, but rather for continuing undaunted.

Neither interception was really Rex's fault.

One was a pass interference no call. Should have been an automatic first down.

The other Moss took the blame for after the game, but noone seems to have picked up on that. He specifically said he was suppose to run a route that would have put him where the ball was; instead he saw an opening to be wide open for a touchdown and he went there hoping Rex saw the same thing and would pick up on it. Instead the ball went where Moss was suppose to be; but he wasn't there and the defender was.

Originally Posted by Tulane Skins Fan

Who can I jeer for this?
Brunell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.