• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

CFL: Industrial Hemp: an-idea-whose-time-has-come-again/

Snydershrugged

The Franchise Player
Reaction score
I have never understood why Industrial Hemp is outlawed. It doesnt get anyone high, and it has thousands of productive uses. Is it just the "reefer madness" stigma?

As I always will feel, please just get the Government out of the f'in way.

An Idea Whose Time Has Come (Again)?

by Tim Shoemaker on JANUARY 14, 2013 in NATIONAL BLOG
Industrial Hemp, currently classified as a Schedule 1 substance under the Controlled Substances Act of 1970, is once again a topic of discussion in political forums.

On the front page of the Washington Post this morning, (albeit the bottom right-hand corner) was an article headlined, “Changes in cannabis laws create a new buzz for hemp.”

For most of America’s history, hemp was considered a vital product of our agricultural society, earning a famous mention in George Washington’s journal, an early article in Franklin’s Pennsylvania Gazette, and even serving as an integral part of the war effort in WWII.

Since it’s domestic production was outlawed in 1970, proponents of industrial hemp have been mocked, ridiculed, and stereotyped as “stoners” or “potheads” for wanting to decouple hemp from it’s botanical cousin, “marihuana.”

However, that stigma is finally fading, particularly as people are beginning to rediscover all the benefits, products, and possibilities for this versatile crop.

The political changes Washington Post was referring to came in Colorado, where Amendment 64, passed by voters in November, required “the general assembly to enact legislation governing the cultivation, processing, and sale of industrial hemp.”

Even on the federal level though, things are beginning to change.

For the first time last Congress, Rep. Ron Paul’s “Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2011″ gained a companion bill on the Senate side sponsored by Senators Ron Wyden (OR) and Rand Paul (KY).

On the presidential campaign trail, Congressman Paul was famous for speaking to college kids about industrial hemp, often remarking that “you’d have to smoke a joint the size of a telephone poll to get high,” in an effort to highlight the absurdity of the prohibition on industrial hemp.

This Congress, Congressman Thomas Massie will be introducing the “Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2013,” identical to Paul’s 2011 bill which garnered support from 37 representatives last Congress!

We have a hemp clothing store in town. I also have a rope that's likely as old as me that true hemp.

I also spent enough time with it's cousin in my past :)

We have a hemp clothing store in town. I also have a rope that's likely as old as me that true hemp.

I also spent enough time with it's cousin in my past :)

LOL. I know his cousin too,:beatnik:

This topic interests me more for the economic potential than anything else though. It just seems 100% insane to ban indiustrial hemp knowing all the uses and pros of it.

Is there even one negative that is a reasonable basis for it being illegal?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.