• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Carriker Set Back In Rehab

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score
Per CSN it appears Carriker suffered a setback in his recovery from surgery and his availability for offseason work is questionable.

Is it just my imagination or is this the most injury-riddled football team we have had in decades?

The number if players that are rehabbing is staggering:

Griffin
Garçon
Morgan
Davis
Helu
Rocca
Meriweather
Carriker
Orakpo
Robinson
Neild
Bowen
Minnifield
Fletcher

That's most of the skill talent on the ball club.

Not to mention both Pashos and Trueblood as well.

I don't know about the "most injury-riddled" we have ever been but I'm pretty sure this is the most serious injuries we have ever seen, and by serious I mean season enders. It is mind boggling.

Yeah, I posted this in the random Redskins thought thread. Ridiculous.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

At some point, you really have to take a hard look at the training staff and question what we are doing. We have to be setting records over the past decade for non-game injuries - and it seems to be as bad as its ever been. I understand not all injuries can be prevented, but one would think that a better training regimen/philosophy might reduce some of these injuries. Just seems like there has to be some linkage there?

Either that, or the Curse Lives. I could really go either way.

i've been saying that for a while boone.

i don't know if it's because i pay so much attention to this team, and not so much to others, or if i'm right, but it seems like an abnormally high number of injuries. the thing that gets me is it's not just injuries - it's misdiagnosed injuries that make the situation worse.

someone who follows other teams more closely probably has a better perspective than me though. i know when the packers last won the super bowl they had an incredible number of injuries, but for the most part i've not heard of anything like the year after year after year injury problem this team has had.

It appears there is a lack of trust in the doctors here.

Otherwise players like Jackson would not be self -medicating.

I go back to Landry and all the issues he had with the team doctors.

Jammal Brown as well hired a private doctor as I recall and refused to work with the team staff.

Now Brown ultimately developed an arthritic condition as a result of the hip injury and would likely be out of the NFL in any event but it is surprising how adamant these players have been about going outside for advice.

Our training/medical staff hasn't been good in a long while if injuries are any indication. Where there's smoke there's usually fire.

It appears there is a lack of trust in the doctors here.

Otherwise players like Jackson would not be self -medicating.

I go back to Landry and all the issues he had with the team doctors.

Jammal Brown as well hired a private doctor as I recall and refused to work with the team staff.

Now Brown ultimately developed an arthritic condition as a result of the hip injury and would likely be out of the NFL in any event but it is surprising how adamant these players have been about going outside for advice.

I heard an interesting take last night - that athletes are actually getting too big/strong/fast for their bodies to handle, which is why these freak injuries are more common - for example Mario Williams tore his pectoral just running.

So maybe we're just bigger/stronger/faster than everyone else? :D

I heard an interesting take last night - that athletes are actually getting too big/strong/fast for their bodies to handle, which is why these freak injuries are more common - for example Mario Williams tore his pectoral just running.

So maybe we're just bigger/stronger/faster than everyone else? :D
Yep.

rexgrossmanfat0811.jpg

But the Redskins list of injured players that are rehabbing this offseason is unusually high vis a vis other NFL teams, at least from what I see.

I know it is an overstatement but it looks like there are 20 odd players recovering from offseason surgeries or those performed before the end of last season.

And these are not for hang nails. We are talking about ACLs, MCLs, torn quads, torn biceps, rotator cuff, etc.

For years in NBA circles you have been hearing about how good the training/medical staff the Phoenix Suns are. They have helped to extend the careers of Grant Hill, Steve Nash and Shaq when he was still in the league. I’ve never done any deep research into the specifics but I did find a story from last year:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/paul_forrester/01/22/suns-trainers/index.html

My first thought, after hearing this repeated over and over again was “Why don’t all NBA teams do this?” or at least strive to do it. My second thought is “Why don’t NFL teams do this?” Actually, to hell with the rest of the NFL, why don’t the Skins have this type of training staff in place that’s recognized as the absolute best?

I understand that the NBA is dealing with far fewer players than an NFL team and there is more roster turnover in the NFL (I may have answered my own question there) but I could still see value in having the best/most well respected training staff in the league. I don’t think we have that at this point. Even if we do and I’m simply not aware of it, the perception is we don’t.

Last edited:
I've been so bummed about it that I stopped tracking it but a few years back we led the league for 2 out of 3 years in injury minutes per man. At one point we were without over 10 starters. The year we didn't lead it we were still top 5. Not good. HF you hit on something I don't understand at all. Snyder wants to make money and wants to win. Seems to me that having the best scouting and medical staffs would be an obviously easy and huge start to that. It's never made any sense to me that we seem to be on the cheap there with the possible exception of Dr. Anderson's consulting.

I remember the Washington Capitals back in the 1980s were seeing a lot of injuries to key players and ultimately the trainers and medical staff were replaced after complaints from several stars who questioned their capability.

Whether there was any truth to it the rash of injuries did subside over the next couple of seasons.

I recall one of the defenseman perhaps Kevin Hatcher saying one of the trainers didn't know the correct technique to tape his ankle during a game injury.

With all of Danny's money, you think he'd throw down some to ensure the health of the investments he's made in talent throughout the team. Paying for top-notch medical staff seems to be a no brainer to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.