• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Carlos Rogers: Life After the Redskins

Lanky Livingston

Carlos speaks about current Redskins in this article, so I thought it belonged in the SOW forum.
-------------------------------
SANTA CLARA, Calif. – As Carlos Rogers slumped into his locker Thursday afternoon at the San Francisco 49ers’ training facility, he looked around and slowly grinned that full-on, top-to-bottom white-tooth grin that was once prominent in Washington, but is only now reappearing. “This would be like a normal day in Washington,” he said, surveying the media corps, which has ballooned considerably given the 49ers’ appearance in Sunday’s NFC championship game against the New York Giants.

“But I’m chill, man,” Rogers said. “Real chill.”

It is almost too easy a task to track down former Redskins and ask them to compare their current situations to those in Washington. Others have left Ashburn and found success elsewhere – Brandon Lloyd in Denver and St. Louis, Ryan Clark in Pittsburgh, Andre Carter in New England, on and on.

Rogers is the latest, and currently greatest, example. The ninth overall pick in the 2005 draft by Joe Gibbs’s Redskins, he made eight interceptions in six years in Washington, dropped countless more, was occasionally benched by former defensive coordinator Greg Blache, and wasn’t as consistent as current coach Mike Shanahan would have liked. On a one-year deal with the 49ers, perhaps the best defensive team in the league, he had six interceptions, was versatile enough to use both outside and in the slot, earned his first Pro Bowl berth, and is about to play for the right to go to the Super Bowl.

So sit back, 2,400 miles away from Ashburn, chill – and smile.

“I needed a fresh start,” Rogers said. “I wanted that, my last two years, out of Washington.”

Rogers’s final two seasons with the Redskins were after Gibbs and former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams were gone. Rogers doesn’t remember those times – the chaos of Jim Zorn’s final season as head coach, then the tumult of Shanahan overhauling the roster and the mind-set – fondly. He said he was tired of it all, “everything that goes on around there.”

“Coach Zorn, he didn’t really have control of that team,” Rogers said. “He just was that coach that they all of a sudden picked as a fill-in. He wasn’t the coach that they really wanted. That’s why he was gone after two years.

“With Coach Shanahan there, all that stuff sounds good – his record, his track record. But I wasn’t a big fan of that whole thing that was going on in Washington.”

Why? He sighed.

“It was probably more me just wanting to be out of there,” Rogers said. “It probably didn’t have nothing to do with them. I was just ready to leave.”

So he left, though not for the kind of deal he once envisioned – a one-year contract worth $2.125 million, with a $2.125 million signing bonus. The 49ers, entering training camp, were a team in transition as well, with new coach Jim Harbaugh hiring a new staff and installing both a new system and a new attitude. The easy question, then: Compare his former organization to his new one.

“This is more solid from the top to the bottom,” Rogers said. “You got ownership – great ownership – that interacts with the players. The GM’s the same way. The coach is a head coach. He understands us. He played in this league. He’s been in the same team meetings that we’re in. He understands what it takes to get a player going, what’s too much for a player, how to push those right buttons. And it’s been working, because we got everybody in.”

Click link for the rest.

I wasn't happy about the dropped INTs from Carlos but he was a great CB for us here until Zorn's second season when the wheels really started coming off. I don't think benching him, as Blache and Gray did, was the answer and I think it pretty much soured him on Washington for good.

Beyond that I am seriously frustrated with the coaches and with Carlos himself for not recognizing he had an issue with his vision. I guess if he has had it all his life he didn't know any better but why didn't someone think to check this sooner. They figured out there was an issue with Doughty's hearing...

what a true professional. he wasnt happy so he sucked at his job. go **** yourself, carlos.

It is pretty damn common, Mike, regardless of pay grade. You can't tell me you haven't known guys you worked with who stunk the joint up and did work much less then their best because they were unhappy.

Forgetting Carlos for a minute, I'm more than a little concerned about his comment that lots of guys want out of Washington. There's no way to verify if that's true or not of course, but even if a handful of guys want out, that's bad locker room juju IMO.

What is it going to take to get stability and a strong foundation in DC? Unbelievable.

I tend to agree with Mike on this. One of the things I will give Shanahan is that the "locker room vibe" seems to have improved noticeably under his tenure from what it had been during the previous several seasons.

I thought so too before reading this article. Maybe 'Los is referring to the locker room with Fatty & McNugget in it, who knows. Still a little disconcerting to read something like that.

I tend to agree with Mike on this. One of the things I will give Shanahan is that the "locker room vibe" seems to have improved noticeably under his tenure from what it had been during the previous several seasons.

While there are varying factors that will play into this, if London Fletcher were to sign with another team without giving us a real chance to re-sign him, that could go a long way to supporting what Lanky is saying. It concerns me too that we let a talent like Carlos go because we had no stability. I just hope his comments about guys who wanted out were from players like Albert Haynesworth , Donovan McNabb or maybe even Andre Carter who just wanted to play in a system where he could excel. But if he is talking about players who are still on the team, then that is something that needs to be addressed.

This really is support for Shanahan staying at least 5 years. Regardless of the success we have next year, he needs at least 5 years to completely clean up the mess that this organization became purging the team of any leftover headaches, hopefully discarding any of his his own as well.

Beyond that I am seriously frustrated with the coaches and with Carlos himself for not recognizing he had an issue with his vision. I guess if he has had it all his life he didn't know any better but why didn't someone think to check this sooner. They figured out there was an issue with Doughty's hearing...

Just read a post on Burgundy Blog that implies not only did the team know about it, but they were encouraging him to get his eyes checked (along with some players), and he refused.

Not sure how accurate it is, but who knows?

im pretty sure that a lot of guys were not happy with the switch on defence, and even less happy at looking so terrible after at least looking decent, however we did get rid of almost that entire group so i would hope our locker room vibe has changed.

what a true professional. he wasnt happy so he sucked at his job. go **** yourself, carlos.
our locker room was just a bunch of overpaid free agents that didnt care about being a redskin or what a team was..you know, like the iggles this year. lol

You don't see a little contradiction here? Maybe Carlos was frustrated about the same things you were. Regardless of how much money they make, these guys want to be in a good situation where they have a chance to in.

Oh I thought you were referring to his attitude, not his drops.

Bah!!! He's the enemy now so I consider everything he says about the Skins to be :bsflag:

Carlos thought he deserved to be paid like a top flight CB and when he left and when no one offered him what he wanted in money and length of contract, he woke up right quick.

Eye exam and contacts now to go along with only being offered a one year deal to play for a team(at the time) that had alot of question marks going into the season,along with a rookie head coach.

He took a chance and got extremely lucky.

I'm sure he thinks he should be the highest paid CB in the game now.

Until he proves otherwise, with a repeat of this past season, he's just a one-hit wonder.

Be happy and just keep your mouth shut, dopey.

Forgetting Carlos for a minute, I'm more than a little concerned about his comment that lots of guys want out of Washington. There's no way to verify if that's true or not of course, but even if a handful of guys want out, that's bad locker room juju IMO.

What is it going to take to get stability and a strong foundation in DC? Unbelievable.

I hope one of those "guys" is Me-angelo Hall. Time to leave the past in the past... This includes others.

1) he's right about the Zorn years....that was a profoundly idiotic move by Snyderatto. one that to this day ranks among the greatest comedic periods in NFL history

2) The 49ers have had all sorts of FO issues over the last 10 years....so one can discount those comments

3) the 49ers have had all sorts of performance/coaching issues over the last 10 years...so one can discount those comments as well.

4) Rogers has no excuse for his sorry arse performance. blaming it on the system onlyu goes so far.

the 49ers have improved...we'll see how that sustains itself over the next 4-5 years.

I have only one thing to say to old 'Hands of Stone'...

No mas! No mas!

you guys remember tha first time we played tha seahawks (playoffs)and he could've won tha game with a wide open pick six tha would've sealed tha game..but thats are fault rite ...just saying alot of times his drop could've changed alot of games ...do to management we did have alot of set backs ...instead of zorn we could've had greg williams at coach , maybe for that reason alot of players went there own ways (mind set) i mean zorn had no coaching experiance only at QB coach and you hand over tha keys and let him drive (Woooow) i think danny had this on his mind all along to get shanny , but zorns first year he was still in denver , then sat out zorns 2nd year ..then heeaarrss shanny ...maybe he did maybe he didn't will never know ...owe were talking about mr . rogers ..i'll give him this he could cover and play tha run , but could'nt catch to save his life or at least in D.C. .......

He could of changed the game at least twice yesterday. He didn't and looked bad through the first half being abused by Cruz like so many others this year. Cruz is legit and Manning and Cruz have great chemistry, but he look like dung. He's not a legit #1 CB like he thought he was. He a damn good cover guy that can play physical. In the right defense he's a very good player. In his mind, he' more. Something is always gonna be somebody else's fault with him, just like Meangelo. I hate that we can't grow our own talent at CB. Hopefully this trend will end.

My sentiments about Rogers track pretty much along the lines of what was said in the Burgundy Blog piece. With that said, our team really needs to take a good, hard look at itself to determine how much truth there is to Rogers' assertion that a bunch of our guys would be happier elsewhere. I remember posting something over on ES during our Snyder insurrection, as I call it :) to the effect that he was a "toxic boss". That kind of thing absolutely poisons an organization, probably for a good while even after the toxic element is removed. As with improvements in other areas, changing the culture of our team is going to take a bit of time. Hopefully we'll get RG3 or another franchise QB and he'll help us win more games which always improves attitudes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.