• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Carlos Rogers and the Hands of Stone

The Burgundy Ghost

The Starter
Reaction score
Military Branch
Navy
Alma Mater
Salisbury
I like Carlos overall as a corner. He's a decent player, plays the run well, has become a pretty good hitter and is pretty good in coverage (in particular the rare times he plays press coverage and not giving the patented 10 yard cushion).

The drops continue to be the problem......and it's infuriating that he can't hold onto the ball. The drop vs. the Bucs should have been a pick six and just seems to be another example of status quo when it comes to missed opportunities with the Redskins.

Plus every time he does this I think of this scene from the Neverending story

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0VxGRWPh28[/media]

If he could catch, he'd be a perennial all-pro. He's that good. He should have about 5 career TDs, but he only has one due to the dropsies. And after all that talk of working on it in the offseason.

I missed the catch, but apparently it hit him between the numbers and he STILL dropped it. WTF? How is that even possible?

And I will never forgive stone hands for the first Seattle playoff game. Should have put that game on ice with a pick-6, and dropped it. Will NEVER forgive him for that. EVER.

And I will never forgive stone hands for the first Seattle playoff game. Should have put that game on ice with a pick-6, and dropped it. Will NEVER forgive him for that. EVER.

LL,
It was on the level of the Seattle drop, right through the hands. The ball hit square in the numbers, so it wasn't a "tough catch", nor is Johnson a rocket thrower (like say Favre). And the entire crowd knew immediately it was Carlos:anonymous:

Last edited:
It's the little things this team struggles with. Missed INTs (by Carlos or anyone else) are just the tip of the iceberg. I was hoping this season was really going to Roger's year. Then again, I was impressed with Deangelo last season and thought we had the chance to have a dominant secondary.

Now? Not so much.

And I was at the Seattle playoff game with my son, in the most miserable weather ever. That was bad.

Me neither. I went into Qwest Field having broken my arm a 1/2 hour before that game in a car accident. I made it almost all the way through that game until that play! I couldn't stand the pain of the broken arm coupled with the pain of thinking the game was over at that point. Had to get to the hospital after that one.

I'm with ya Lanky, I believe he is more than capable but we NEED those turnovers! A pick six in that situation, much like the one he missed in Seattle could make or break a season. Not saying the season is worse off than before that play yesterday, but it is the kind of play that can rally a team that still has the chance to do well this year! (Said w/ fingers crossed)

so, you can either have a guy like Rogers that plays well in coverage and supports the run or you can have a guy like Hall that anticipates and breaks on the ball to make the INT, but then gives up the easy 10 yard TD or fails to wrap up in the open field.

Which player would you give the contract extension to?

Redskins already gave Hall an extension......with the current status of the team, you have to also keep Rogers, b/c with exception to his hands he is the best CB on the team in overall performance.

Then you hope Tryon can live up to being a nickle, Barnes can eventually be a contributer and go from there.

so, you can either have a guy like Rogers that plays well in coverage and supports the run or you can have a guy like Hall that anticipates and breaks on the ball to make the INT, but then gives up the easy 10 yard TD or fails to wrap up in the open field.

Neither...?

What confuses me about this issue most of all is the utter lack of progress.

Is he even practicing how to catch? I know he plays defense, and this might not be one of his "gifts" as an athlete, but seriously, I think all of us in this thread could catch at least 7 out of 10 balls thrown at our chest.

He reminds me of the guy you've been playing poker with every month for ten years that refuses to learn how to shuffle. Pure laziness seems to be the only explanation.

All that said, I think he's a solid corner and I'd take him over Hall if push came to shove.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, lets weigh the pros vs cons....

is it better to the team that he's in position to make the pick... deflecting the ball, therefore an incompletion

OR

is it worse to the team that he drops the INT?

While he doesnt make the pick, he's still where he needs to be, and i think that enough if important... YES i understand that he COULD have an INT and the ball goes the other way.. but i'm happy with him being in position

While he doesnt make the pick, he's still where he needs to be, and i think that enough if important... YES i understand that he COULD have an INT and the ball goes the other way.. but i'm happy with him being in position

I think you got it wrong, the fact that he was in position was just part of it. If he catches that ball it is a pick 6! That is exactly the kind of play this team needs!

I think many of us agree that if that pass is caught we go on to win convincingly. What you see as a CB in position to create and incomplete pass, many of us see as a swing in momentum wasted, and much needed at that!

I am not saying you are guilty of this, but I have spoken with many Redskins fans who are fed up! And this type of thinking, oh he did well enough by knocking down the pass in indicative of the problem as a whole. For too long our standards have been lowered.

I think it is time we hold these players accountable! If Rogers drops a pick six, he should hear about it! If Clinton Portis gets mouthy during the week, he needs to be told to shut up and play the game. If Jason Campbell continues to look like the sub par QB he is, then he needs to be benched! And for goodness sake, if the 2nd round twins cannot get open and make catches then put Marko Mitchell in to see if he can get it done!

Edit: By the way, welcome to the board!

I think you got it wrong, the fact that he was in position was just part of it. If he catches that ball it is a pick 6! That is exactly the kind of play this team needs!

I think many of us agree that if that pass is caught we go on to win convincingly. What you see as a CB in position to create and incomplete pass, many of us see as a swing in momentum wasted, and much needed at that!

I am not saying you are guilty of this, but I have spoken with many Redskins fans who are fed up! And this type of thinking, oh he did well enough by knocking down the pass in indicative of the problem as a whole. For too long our standards have been lowered.

I think it is time we hold these players accountable! If Rogers drops a pick six, he should hear about it! If Clinton Portis gets mouthy during the week, he needs to be told to shut up and play the game. If Jason Campbell continues to look like the sub par QB he is, then he needs to be benched! And for goodness sake, if the 2nd round twins cannot get open and make catches then put Marko Mitchell in to see if he can get it done!

Edit: By the way, welcome to the board!

I agree with you that it definatly is a HUGELY missed opprotunity... but what i'm saying is, what's more important to the team? If we bench him.. does that guy make the catch and go the other way for 6 points...? ya never really know. I'm just looking at it from both sides, and thinking that Rogers shouldnt be replaced because of it.

But again, i COMPLETELY agree with you, if Rogers has a hard time catching the ball he needs to address it.. he's a professional and therefore needs to adjust his game to make himself more effective.... to better the team

Edit: By the way... THANKS!!! :D

As an NFL defensive player, there are certain things you HAVE to do.

1) Tackle
2) Be fast
3) Catch the mothereffing ball if it hits you in the chest, ESPECIALLY in a close game in the 4th quarter.

There is no excuse...these types of plays are momentum changers. We're not talking some crazy Antonio Cromartie bending over backwards interception - the FRIGGING BALL HIT HIM IN THE CHEST.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.