• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Caps/NHL Playoff Stretch Thread

• Thread starter Lanky Livingston
  • Start date
Well, from what I read BB said that Backstrom is o.k. That he wanted back in the game, but they would not allow him. Maybe he misses a few, but as long as he is back for the playoffs.

You are right about Semin. We really need him motivated this year, because when he is he is deadly. Too bad he never shows up when it counts.

Yeah...probably why we haven't traded him. Nobody will make that blockbuster trade for him when they know he disappears in the playoffs.

Don't know how long Neuvy is out, but I think Holtby is the future of this organization anyway. We should trade Varly or Neuvy in the offseason & call him up permanently. The kid is just massive!

Backstrom is going to miss "several" games. Interestingly enough, BB doesn't want to separate Arnott & Semin, so MoJo will be centering Ovechkin & Knuble. I think Semin feels more accountable with Arnott as 2C, which is why he's been playing a lot harder since the acquisition.

Holtby got the first shutout of his career, Fehr scored two goals in his return from a shoulder injury, Ovechkin scored 2 goals and added an assist for career points 599, 600 and 601, and Jason Arnott got career point 900 on a beautiful assist on one of Ovi's goals. The Caps shredded the Oilers 5-0, extended their current win-streak to 6 and moved into second place in the Eastern Conference (Boston & Tampa both have 2 games in hand, however).

The beast is awakening, people...if you're not watching, now's the time to start!

Caps continued their winning streak, bringing it to 8 with wins over the Hurricanes & Blackhawks this weekend. I was at both games, and both games looked like solid, gritty playoff-type performances to me. Very excited about this late-season surge.

If there is one thing wrong with BGO, its that it needs more Caps fans. Sigh. The one team in DC that has actually done well the past 4 years, and nobody gives a crap.

If anyone is watching - huge showdown with the Flyers this Tuesday at 7:30ET on Versus. If we win, we'll be tied for first place at 96 points, although they do have at least 2 games in hand.

My problem with the Caps is the lack of coverage in Alabama. I moved here a couple of years ago, and I only get to see their televised games on NHLN and VS. I used to get Center Ice, but I would get pissed when they did not show the Caps on tv. I went through this for years. When I pay close to $200, I want to see all of the games. There were months where I would only see one game. Not worth it IMO. So I cancelled.

I saw the Flyers game, but we should have lost that one. Hopefully, BB gets Ovie and the rest of the crew healthy for the playoffs. I think we will be second seed and the Flyers will be #1. I believe we have eight games left and they have 10.

With the way the past couple of years have gone in the playoffs, I really do not care who we play. I do not think it matters.

Also, did you hear about Varly possibly going to the KHL this offseason. I don't think I care too much because he is always injured. I have always preferred Neuvy anyways. Plus I am really excited about Holtby's future.

Neuvy & Holtby combined will cost half of what Varly will demand, I'm sure. Love ya Semyon, but peace out dude. There is a hard cap in hockey, and w/ two superb goalies at a nice discount, you are not needed (especially since he can't stay on the ice!).

Flyers game was crazy - we got 3 pretty soft goals, and then failed to hold the lead. I don't think we should have lost, because when we gave up the lead, we came back and tied it up again with a pretty goal. Soft goaltending again, maybe, but that's a problem the Flyers have struggled with since last season. And then OT was a solid 5 minutes of defensive hockey, IMO. The shootout moves our guys put on were NASTY!

I am happy playing anyone but the Rangers in the first round seems like they just have our number this season. We shall see...

Anyone see that Varly might be considering going to the KHL after this season being that he'll be a free agent? I suppose it's because he feels he's not getting enough play time, but the problem is he's always injured.

He's easily our best goalie, but at the same time our most fragile. He really should do some hardcore strength and conditioning this offseason and go from there. Him healthy, we'd have a monster goalie situation - which could cause some problems with play time, but if we could keep them all happy, this team could definitely see a cup in the near future.

Saw that - and I think it might be just his agent trying to get a new deal. He's an RFA this summer, and with the other two goalies on the Caps roster only counting a combined $1.8M against the Cap, Varly may not get his pay day from us. I could see another team offering him upwards of $3.5-4M a year, and I just don't know if the Caps can afford that.

Well, Caps recent surge continues, as they recently clinched the Southeast Division title for the 4th year in a row, and are now sitting atop the standings in the Eastern Conference. If they win on Saturday against the lowly Panthers, the only way they can lose the #1 seed is if the Flyers win both of their games this weekend. The Flyers have been on quite the skid lately, so who knows.

Caps host the Rangers at the phone booth tomorrow night at 7:30pm on Versus & CSN. Here is the complete first round schedule:

WED APR 13, 2011 7:30 PM VERSUS, TSN, RIS, CSN-DC(HD)
FRI APR 15, 2011 7:30 PM TSN, VERSUS, RIS, CSN-DC(HD)
SUN APR 17, 2011 3:00 PM TSN, NBC(HD), RDS
WED APR 20, 2011 7:00 PM VERSUS, TSN, RIS, CSN-DC(HD)
SAT APR 23, 2011 3:00 PM NBC(HD), TSN, RDS
MON APR 25, 2011 TBD TSN, RIS, CSN-DC(HD)
WED APR 27, 2011 TBD TSN, CSN-DC(HD)

I have to admit Neuvrith scares me for the playoffs, however Varly scares me as well. Here's hoping the kid can hold the crease.

All three goalies scare me. Puck Daddy made a good point though - Varlamov is at his best out of the bullpen. So if Neuvirth struggles, Varly should come in an dominate. Now, he just needs to stay healthy...

My gut feeling: Caps come out on fire tonight and win big, 4-1. Semin scores twice, Backstrom and Knuble score once.

Stupid VS is showing the Phoenix game in my area. I guess I will find some crappy link. At least I get to watch Friday.

Stupid VS is showing the Phoenix game in my area. I guess I will find some crappy link. At least I get to watch Friday.

Yeah, mine too. It looks like Versus will show one period of the Caps/Rangers game, possibly the 3rd.

Glad to see us pull it out in OT, but not the way I wanted to see us go into the playoffs. I would rather see us, the #1 seed, beat the #8 seed handily, like the Penguins did.

Great way to take advantage of the Ranger's mistake at the end of the game.

Even though I'd have like to have seen more goals, it's exciting me one a close one against an underrated opposing goalie. If we continue to pepper the net, it's going to break open. Great game from the rook between the pipes tonight, didn't get rattled.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.