• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Can someone break down some stats for me?

SkinnedAussie

The Team Captain
Reaction score
I missed the game earlier today (3am kick-off for me!), but have just checked to find out that we won. :clap2:

However, upon checking the punting stats, it appears that Sav didn't have a good debut as a Redskin; 4 punts, 28.8 av, 2 inside 20, 43 longest. Comparing them with the play-by-play rundown, he wasn't given a lot of room to play with in three of those punts, with only one from inside our own half.

To any outsider, people would look and say 'WTF!', but looking deeper it shows that one was kicked in to the end zone, 2 were fair catches inside the 20, leaving just the one that was returned for 9 yards, but was only a 43 yard punt from our own 24.

I know it's just the first pre-season game, and Sav has missed some early TC time, but how does these stats relate to someone more knowledgeable about the intricacies of the NFL?

I do remember him booting one in the endzone (touchback) for a net of 16yds. Reminded me that eagles fans often complained about him not being able to land it inside the 10. Also one from deep in our own end was short and bounced wobbly off the turf into the returned arms where he returned it maybe 20 yards...

I was not impressed. I think his holding had something to do with Grahams shanks, and the fact he has no competition in camp is a poor strategy IMO.

Didn't also hold for Gano? If his holds were OK for one, why not the other?

I agree on the no TC competition, but maybe his delayed attendance is of some excuse. He's only been in camp less than a week!

If he needs competition, who do we bring in?

Thought our punter did okay. The punt that was a touch back actually landed on the two and spiked upwards. There were two skins in the vicinity. Someone has to make a play. that had a chance to be a really nice pin.

Overall, the O did well enough that he never really had to boom it. So, I don't know if he can or not.

SA, Burgold is correct. While I do wish they had a little more competition in camp, I thought Rocca played well. The touchback wasn't really his fault, a play should have been made. Not a great game, but certainly not a poor one either.

This is where stats can be misleading. On the touchback the net was 16 yards, since ball came back to the 20.

On the touchback hard to say if the other 2 Skins were out of position or could have made a better play. Part of blame could be on Rocca for not punting it a little higher to help the cover guys.

It was first game and hopefully Danny Smith will get this worked out.

I was wondering about the holds when Graham missed those two kicks, but he held for Gano on the 3 he made.

I agree he played okay - better than the stats really reflect. He at least appears to know how to pooch punt. Nothing irritates me more than punting from the opponent's side of the 50 and having it go into the endzone.

The first miss by Graham the snap was even a little high (looked that way to me) but he got it down and ready in time. Graham just spazzed. You don't miss 3 kicks like that unless something's going on in your head.

You don't miss 3 kicks like that unless something's going on in your head.

Agreed there. I'm not saying his holds were the cause but it seemed that way to me before I could rewatch the game. The first was hurried , thats for damn sure.

Rewatching the pittsburgh local feed for some perspective today. Not that Larry and Joe T. are homers or anything. :)

I don't know how much 'chemistry' is involved between a kicker and holder - that would be an interesting question to hear them respond to? Maybe it was asked last night - that's where not being local is a detriment.

And Theismann only used the word 'efficient' about 1700 times last night. He's totally unbiased.

Thought our punter did okay. The punt that was a touch back actually landed on the two and spiked upwards. There were two skins in the vicinity. Someone has to make a play. that had a chance to be a really nice pin.

Overall, the O did well enough that he never really had to boom it. So, I don't know if he can or not.

Dont know if I just rewatched the same play you're talking about but in the first half, one touchback hit the goaline and bounced up. I had to look at it a couple of times but it did look to hit the goal line and the coverage guys were pointing to the goal line to boot.

Isn't Shayne Graham a ginger? Maybe his Gingervitis was acting up last night!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.