• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Campbell trade speculation

brandies

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Jimmy Clausen's pro day last Friday might have settled questions about whether he's a top-10 prospect.

Clausen threw well enough to be a top-10 pick, but figuring out where he'll go means figuring out how much appeal Redskins QB Jason Campbell has on the trade market.

Any questions?
Have a question for John Clayton? Connect with him here.

Campbell went from being the Redskins' starter to a draft-day trade candidate when the Redskins acquired Donovan McNabb. To help the trade process, Campbell signed his one-year restricted free-agent tender on Monday to help make a trade happen.

Campbell has two main hopes -- Oakland or Buffalo -- although he'd prefer if something could be done to get him to Carolina. Unfortunately for him, the Panthers don't appear to be interested. From the Redskins' standpoint, coach Mike Shanahan met with Campbell and was honest. Shanahan told Campbell he would try to accommodate him in a trade that benefits both parties. He gave Campbell the ability to shop around, too.

The timing of the McNabb deal held back any quick solution for Campbell. You can see how this is going to go. Campbell will watch the Clausen situation closely. If the Bills take Clausen at No. 9, Campbell will likely have to wait until Saturday, April 24, with hopes that the Redskins deal him to the Raiders as part of a draft-day trade.

The Bills, meanwhile, could factor Campbell's availability into what they do at quarterback. The cost of Campbell won't be more than a lower-round pick, a bargain for a starting quarterback. That could give the Bills the luxury of taking a Colt McCoy or a Tim Tebow and still getting Campbell as a starting quarterback to buy time for their future QB's development.

Still, odds favor Campbell ending up in Oakland, where he could work with new offensive coordinator Hue Jackson.

From the inbox

Q: This may be a long shot, but what are the chances of the Pittsburgh Steelers making a play to get Jason Campbell? I personally think that Campbell is much better than given credit for and if he found himself in a situation with stability, he'd be pretty good. With the Big Ben situation, I would think the Steelers could use a better option than Charlie Batch or Dennis Dixon, and Campbell could be that option.

Patrick in Larmore, Colo.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=5077455

CLICK LINK FOR COMPLETE ARTICLE

The Steelers aren't going to let Big Ben throw his career down the toilet, and unless they really think Charlie Batch is awful (he isn't) I can't see them finding much attractive in Campbell.

Campbell's best bet are teams that really have zero stability at QB. There aren't a lot of those unfortunately for JC.

I really see no reason to make a trade unless some decent offer comes along

Doesn't matter what the fans think Mike. Anyone who thinks Roethlisberger is going anywhere is seriously delusional. It's just not going to happen, irregardless of what the fan's want. And trust me, about 10 minutes after they dumped him, having seen his replacement, they'd be very very sorry :)

Come on guys...be serious. He may be a liability off the field, he may even be a not very nice guy, but he's not been charged with crime one.

Get real. He's not going anywhere. Period. Unless he's stupider than any of us can conceive, he'll clean up his act and be a Steeler for, at minimum, another 5 years.

Come on guys...be serious. He may be a liability off the field, he may even be a not very nice guy, but he's not been charged with crime one.

Get real. He's not going anywhere. Period. Unless he's stupider than any of us can conceive, he'll clean up his act and be a Steeler for, at minimum, another 5 years.

Santonio Holmes wasn't charged either...

I'm with Boone on this one. Get real guys.

How many currently active QBs in the NFL have more than one Lombardi? Pretty sure the answer is 2 and Ben is one of them. He isn't going anywhere. At least not right now.

In any case, let's hope Big Ben is NOT traded, because that seriously hurts the value of Campbell.

Santonio Holmes wasn't charged either...

Santonio Holmes was a sacrificial lamb. Santonio Holmes had a Super Bowl highlight. Ben Roethlisberger is the QB who has led a team back to glory. There is no comparison.

I'm not saying Big Ben is bullet-proof. Any NFL player who embarrasses the league too many times, or actually commits crimes, puts his career at risk. But suggesting the Steelers are going to dump Roethisberger at this point is just silly.

It's not going to happen.

Santonio Holmes was a sacrificial lamb. Santonio Holmes had a Super Bowl highlight. Ben Roethlisberger is the QB who has led a team back to glory. There is no comparison.

I'm not saying Big Ben is bullet-proof. Any NFL player who embarrasses the league too many times, or actually commits crimes, puts his career at risk. But suggesting the Steelers are going to dump Roethisberger at this point is just silly.

It's not going to happen.

Well, Santonio had a little more than just a highlight (9 catches for 131 yards and said highlight, plus the MVP hardware), but I get your point. Its a QB-driven league, and Rothlispickle is a winner.

BUT

Rooney isn't your average owner, and the Steelers aren't your average organization. If they think Big Ben is going to cause more problems down the line, they'll get rid of him without hesitation.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Ben is traded. A friend of mine, from Pittsburgh originally, told me the Steelers fans have grown tired of his antics. Like Mike said, the Rooney's run a no nonsense organization. Ben has really embarrassed the Steeler organization and Rooney family this time. He will be suspended for at least 4 games.

My guess is he is a Steeler this year. Look for him to be traded next off season. Anything else comes out and he's gone this year.

I'll bet if Mr Cooke were still alive and we had a QB pulling that kind of stuff, borderline rapist activity, he'd be gone.

No doubt in my mind

I've also heard Big Ben is not that popular in the locker room. Last year when Ben had his concussion, Hines Ward called him out for not playing. At the time everyone jumped on Ward due to the injury. Which was fair.

In retrospect, was Ward giving us a glimpse into the Steelers locker room? If a Brady or Manning had a concussion and sat out a game...do you think one of their WR's would say something?

Would not be shocked if he is sent to outer Mongolia of the NFL.

IMO JC will be cut. There is no interest in JC from any NFL team. All any team needs to do is view past game film to conclude he's not worth a pick and he'll just be cut by the skins in a few months anyways. JC is not an NFL caliber QB.

With the Raiders signing Kyle Boller, I think options for Campbell are evaporating quickly. That could change quickly as teams are putting the pads on and the possibility of a starter or backup going down with an injury increase. Sadly, I think that's Campbell's best chance at being moved. There's also a remote possibility of him being tossed into a package deal, not as a primary but simply to 'sweeten' an offer. Short of those two scenarios, he could either end up on the team this season as a backup or, as suggested, just released outright. Pretty steep fall for JC and kind of sad. He's certainly better than the attention he's getting. I am highly skeptical we'll keep him around regardless, as I don't believe Shanahan would've brought in Rex if he had a lot of confidence in JC. And if there was even the slightest possibility that retaining JC this year as a backup was being seriously considered, one has to believe he would be attending this weekend's minicamp.

Last edited:
The idea of JC being used to "sweeten" a deal is an interesting perspective. Wonder if he would be used with Haynesworth or a pick? I do believe we will be actively trading during the draft.

If Browns trade up with Rams for #1, could see us doing a package deal for additional picks.

I will be curious to see if this does unfold if we receive players and picks or just picks.

Do think we will keep JC if deal isn't right. Most teams believe we will cut him so not willing to trade. I read where he is studying the new offense, so if going to cut him why even let him see the new playbook?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Ben is traded. A friend of mine, from Pittsburgh originally, told me the Steelers fans have grown tired of his antics. Like Mike said, the Rooney's run a no nonsense organization. Ben has really embarrassed the Steeler organization and Rooney family this time. He will be suspended for at least 4 games.

My guess is he is a Steeler this year. Look for him to be traded next off season. Anything else comes out and he's gone this year.

You may be right. It depends on what their breaking point is. They have to be close, and I guess we will see if they have already reached it, if they have one more incident, two more, what...?

The only reason I can think they would trade him now is that if they keep him, and he does have another incident, they lose a little more leverage. Already, teams have to know Mr. Rooney can't be happy with his actions, and may be looking to unload him. That's already not the best position to be in. If he does something else, which I would think most people would give even odds to at least, they lose even more leverage in negotiations.

That could possibly allow them to entertain the possibility of trading him.

I think Ben's in a little more trouble than they are telling.... think there is more to the story than has come out at this point.... .wait and see what happens next..not saying that he done enough for them to trade him at this point but i think it's gonna get worse befor it gets better....don't think it's going away at this point.

I think Ben's in a little more trouble than they are telling.... think there is more to the story than has come out at this point.... .wait and see what happens next..not saying that he done enough for them to trade him at this point but i think it's gonna get worse befor it gets better....don't think it's going away at this point.

I think you're right. Curious to see is she files a civil suit. Willing to bet Ben's lawyer and agent have told him he needs to settle with her (and girl in Vegas) quickly as possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.