• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Call out to Republicans, Educate Me on the 9/11 First Responder Bill

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score
Alma Mater
James Madison
OK guys, I don't have time between work and classes to keep up with politics as much as I used to. I happened onto the Daily Show last night, and Stewart is ripping the Republicans for not allowing the bill that would grant health benefits to the 9/11 first responders. He is crushing the Repubs for this, and making some good points about hypocrisy and other things.

So I'm watching (and laughing some) last night, but can't help but think there has to be more to this than meets the eye. It can't be as simple as the GOP stalling all bills until the tax cuts are extended. Someone help me out. Is there something else in the bill that TDS isn't covering that makes it onerous?

Quick sidenote: not looking for a bash Jon Stewart thread, or a Dem-bashing thread. I don't watch JS for news, I watch him for entertainment. I meant to research this bill today, but ran out of time, and figured I could get the alternate viewpoint here.

Thanks in advance.

Got this from my Repub friend, who is generally well informed/used to work on the Hill:

two things:

- its a political vote, most of first responders already have benefits and fire/police unions are greedy, and mcconnell said they need to pass a budget for the USA, not cater to special interests right now

- "paid for" by increasing taxes of multinational corporations, many repubs believe this hike in taxes will cause companies to just pull out of US altogether, as they see climate as hostile costing jobs and hurting economy

Hmmm. OK, both of those make sense, the second a little moreso than the first. They should probably try to get some more positive PR somehow, do a better job of explaining their reasoning.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

The problem is finding a media outlet to accurately tell the story. I Googled it and all I kept seeing was the liberal news agencies lambasting Republicans for wanting to deny benefits for 9/11 first responders so I gave up.

I would like to have spent more time on it since I do call myself a Republican, but I was too busy writing a blog.

Thanks Lanky!

out of curiousity...why doesn't the State of NY cover the costs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.