• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Cake or Death?: The Snyder Problem

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score
Alma Mater
James Madison
OK, so maybe that title isn't specific enough. Heck, it probably isn't accurate enough. *THE* Snyder problem? Too many to count, really. Would...

More...

During an interview prior to the 2010 season, Snyder said something to the effect of "as long as I have Joe Gibbs or Mike Shanahan as my head coach, I don't have to worry as much.."

I think the "relative" success of Gibbs in his second stint with the two playoff appearances made Snyder think that all he was going to need to do was pay a lot of money to a pedigree coach and the team would be back in the playoffs in no time. Despite Shanahan's protest that he was going to need five full years to get the team rolling, one has to think that Snyder thought that the Skins would have success relatively quickly.

I think Snyder is absolutely stunned that Shanahan hasn't been able to deliver in the W-L column so far. And it will be interesting to see what factors go into Dan's decision regarding Mike in the next season or two, whether it be how we finish the 2012 campaign, the $18 million cap penalty that has to be served next season, etc. However, I think the experience may be a positive one for this team going forward, as it will perhaps "de-emphasize" the head coach position in Snyder's mind, and instead highlight the bigger picture issues of the proper way to build a team.

of course a guy says he needs 5 years lol but if he genuinely believed that then he wouldnt have spent a second and a fifth on Mcrapp, he wouldnt have spent a 3rd (I think it was a third but its 3am) on Brown.

If I am snyder, I am wondering why it took 3 seasons to get a halfway decent offence (we started out amazing and since came back to earth) and yet somehow still have a defence that is not just bad, but epic bad. logic dictates there should be improvements as a young team gets older, wheras we used to be an old team getting older and thats when teams should get worse instead of better.

We're not a young team getting older, we're an old team getting younger.

In 2010 we were the oldest team with an average age of 27.33 years.

In 2012 we are the 24th oldest team with an average age of 26.53 years.

I'd like to see us younger still. That having been said, as a team with that many veteran players you would expect fewer penalties and mental errors than they are having.

I agree that Haslett needs to be replaced. I'm hoping that the HC agrees and will replace him three minutes after the season is over. The entire defensive staff needs to go. And the ST coach.

Eh, we can't replace the HC though. It is a tough one, but Mike Shanahan needs to see the contract completely through. Otherwise, the owner will never be able to attract any kind of decent candidate in the future. Like all fans, we hope that the owner is truly learning the right way to run a franchise.

BB, I mostly agree. On the off chance however, that the players give up under Shanahan the rest of the year, that we don't see them making an effort, then I think he may need to go.

Something happened this last week that makes me think otherwise - could be wrong though. Griffin was made a team captain and this makes it his team now. This coach made an extra effort land RG3 in the draft and that is why the coach is staying, imho.

Something happened this last week that makes me think otherwise - could be wrong though. Griffin was made a team captain and this makes it his team now. This coach made an extra effort land RG3 in the draft and that is why the coach is staying, imho.

Fair point. Personally, I think Mike should stay, as long as the players don't give up on him. And I absolutely believe it is possible to see this team rip off quite a few wins in a row, but it will be up to the players more than the coaches. The last two losses have been more than disappointing, and the team needs a nice victory. Against a division opponent would be terrific.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.