• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Quarterback Questions And Answers

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
Just over one year ago, we had no questions about our quarterback situation. Robert Griffin, III was the unquestionable starter (even though he was facing an offseason of rehabilitation) and Kirk Cousins was the reliable backup. Unfortunately, the 2013 season happened and the Redskins were facing a long offseason with many issues and challenges. No one disputes that Griffin is still the starter, but concerns about his injury, effectiveness, leadership, flamboyance, football knowledge, and team relationships have been questioned since his benching by former coach Mike Shanahan in early December. In this Super Bowl week edition of BBQ, we will post some questions and answers about the quarterback position. Feel free to post answers and opinions.

1. New coach Jay Gruden says that it would be foolish to turn Griffin into a pocket passer. Was this the correct thing to say and is it imperative that the young quarterback from Baylor become a pocket passer?
Answer: BBQ believes that Gruden will integrate the pocket passing schemes as time goes on. There is nothing wrong with using Griffin

More...

Burner’s Burning Questions – Quarterback Questions And Answers

Just over one year ago, we had no questions about our quarterback situation. Robert Griffin, III was the unquestionable starter (even though he was facing an offseason of rehabilitation) and Kirk Cousins was the reliable backup. Unfortunately, the 2013 season happened and the Redskins were facing a long offseason with many issues and challenges. No one disputes that Griffin is still the starter, but concerns about his injury, effectiveness, leadership, flamboyance, football knowledge, and team relationships have been questioned since his benching by former coach Mike Shanahan in early December. In this Super Bowl week edition of BBQ, we will post some questions and answers about the quarterback position. Feel free to post answers and opinions.

1. New coach Jay Gruden says that it would be foolish to turn Griffin into a pocket passer. Was this the correct thing to say and is it imperative that the young quarterback from Baylor become a pocket passer?
Answer: BBQ believes that Gruden will integrate the pocket passing schemes as time goes on. There is nothing wrong with using Griffin’s strengths and skillsets. What are your thoughts? Do you agree?

2. Should the Redskins continue to run read option on most plays?
Answer: The team should run a certain number each game (for now, about sixty percent) and if it is possible, migrate slowly towards more rollouts and pocket passing. The read option can still have a place, but not as much in the coming years. How do you feel about the read option?

3. Do you think Griffin should be limited in designed plays that have him running the ball?
Answer: No one will disagree that quarterback sneaks are needed at times. The shelf life for a running back in the NFL is shorter than most positions due to the abuse a body can take. Having the quarterback run a higher number of designed running plays simply shortens a career and should slowly be eliminated from the playbook. Do you agree with that assessment?

4. A few articles in recent days have suggested that Kirk Cousins could be traded to the Browns if Kyle Shanahan becomes their offensive coordinator. Which scenarios would make for a good trade?
Answer: These scenarios should be considered if the Browns are interested in Cousins:
A. The Browns offer their second first round pick (26th overall) and a conditional fifth based on playing time.
B. The Browns offer Josh Gordon for Cousins.
C. The Browns offer their second and third round picks for Cousins.
D. The Browns offer Mitchell Schwartz and their fifth rounder for Cousins.
E. The Browns offer Brian Hoyer and their second rounder for Cousins.

5. Rex Grossman probably moves on and will be released soon. Should the team draft a young prospect or bring another veteran aboard?
Answer: It all depends on the status of Kirk Cousins. If Cousins stays, then drafting a young prospect in the later rounds is possible. If Cousins is traded, then a veteran must be signed and a young prospect should be added in the later rounds. What is your solution?

The quarterback position is the most important one in football. These are not easy questions and the answers are difficult too. Feel free to offer your ideas and opinions.

Soon, BBQ will be looking at free agency and present mock drafts. Enjoy the Super Bowl.

Hail To The Redskins!

1. Yes, I agree completely.

2. Keeping it unpredictable would be a goal for me. If you face a team you think is highly susceptible to it, I'd throw it at them until they stopped it. Every time it looks unstoppable, DC's have to spend a lot of time on it, and have it as part of their game plan. Which leaves the door open to throwing them curve balls all day.

3. It goes without saying that designed runs should be kept to a minimum. All it takes is one super play per game to keep defenses awake at night. They can come either by design, or a scramble. If Robert continues to improve at protecting himself when he does run, I think we'll all learn to breath a little easier.

4. A, B, or C, for sure. I'm guessing the players you mentioned are Olinemen? In which case I'll take E.

5. The Sexy probably is gone. But it's not etched in stone. He is popular with his teammates, whether we like it or not.
He might also be an option in Baltimore, or Cleveland, if Kyle goes there. I believe he was instrumental in helping our guys learn the system. He could do the same in those places.

If we find someone dumb enough to give us anything above 3rd rounder for Kirk, and we take it, then keeping the Sexy becomes a real possibility. As does drafting another young guy in the mid to later rounds. I don't know who the FA QB's will be.

I'll need that next report on my desk by Monday, BB. :)

1. I'm not sure it was the best choice of words, but I think there's some level of coach-speak going on here. Griffin is going to run the ball - it would be foolish not to with his speed and elusiveness.

2. 60% seems high for the number of read-option plays to me. The most lethal weapon in football is the Peyton Manning naked bootleg. Why? Because he almost never runs the ball. When he does, nobody expects it and he can crawl into the end zone if he wants to. That's obviously the other extreme, but I think less is more in this case, and would run the read-option 25% or less. If I were Gruden, I'd also try to mask the read-option, so that the D doesn't know its coming.

3. See #2 - I think designed runs for the QB are more effective when they ARE limited. So yes, I think they shouldn't be called once a drive.

4. Cousins for a 1st or Cousins for Josh Gordon would both be amazing, and if Allen DIDN'T take them, I'd fly to Washington to slap him in the face. :)

5. Gruden wanted Dalton who was not a great talent, but he developed him into a pretty good starting QB. I'd say draft a replacement in the later rounds, but then again, I think that's a good strategy every year, because if you hit on one, you are asking yourself question 4. :)

I agree there is no urgency to trade Cousins. We don't have anyone else on the roster and few draft picks to sink one into a qb unless we get a tempting offer.

If Cousins does leave I earnestly hope Gruden and Co moves on from Grossman and his $1M contract.

We need to stop paying guys that aren't playing.

In 2013 we were paying Davis, Morgan, Grossman to basically sit on the bench or upstairs for much of the season.

That was $2.0M for Davis, almost $5M for Morgan and $1M for Rex.

$8M sitting on the sidelines under what was a tight cap.

Just wasteful.

1) Not quite there. I believe the huge investment in Robert will drive a greater emphasis on pocket presence and decision-making. I don't know the numbers, but I think that designed running plays for Russell were actually rather limited over the course of the season.

2) NO. two major knee ops argues otherwise.

3) Agree.

4) Kyle or no Kyle, I don't think Kirk is going anywhere. He really hasn't all that much to distinguish himself.

5) Good question. Need more time to think about it.

Browns did not hire Kyle. Most of question number four no longer applies. That's what BBQ gets for jumping the shark. :)

Pretty bad. Sounds like Shan and son have burned some long bridges. The father is probably forever and Kyle will need to work his way back to being a coordinator.

Pretty bad. Sounds like Shan and son have burned some long bridges. The father is probably forever and Kyle will need to work his way back to being a coordinator.

Yup...look for him to come on board somewhere as QB coach first.

With RG3's injury history, I'd be reticent to trade Cousins unless I got at least a second rounder ... not a bad return for a fourth-round pick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.