• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Predicting The Final Fifty-three

Burner’s Burning Questions – Predicting The Final Fifty-three

We are just days away from the opening of the 2013 NFL season. One final preseason game will be a deciding factor that determines the roster of fifty-three players for the Washington Redskins. Making predictions for the final roster of players is not an easy task, but we will attempt to do so in this next to last installment of BBQ’s preseason blogs. Feel free to add your own roster to the mix.

Quarterbacks:
Robert Griffin, III
Kirk Cousins
Rex Grossman

Running Backs:
Alfred Morris
Roy Helu
Evan Royster
Keiland Williams

Fullbacks:
Darrel Young

Wide Receivers:
Pierre Garcon
Leonard Hankerson
Josh Morgan
Santana Moss
Aldrick Robinson

Tackles:
Trent Williams
Tyler Polumbus
Tom Compton
Xavier Nixon (could go to practice squad if Maurice Hurt returns)

Centers:
Will Montgomery
Kevin Matthews

Guards:
Kory Lichtensteiger
Josh LeRibeus
Adam Gettis
Chris Chester

Tight Ends:
Fred Davis
Logan Paulsen
Jordan Reed

Defensive Tackle/Nose Tackle:
Barry Cofield
Chris Baker
Chris Neild

Defensive End:
Stephen Bowen
Kedric Golston
Jarvis Jenkins (suspended first four games)
Phillip Merling (could be released if Adam Carriker returns)

Linebackers:
Perry Riley
London Fletcher
Brian Orakpo
Ryan Kerrigan
Darryl Tapp
Rob Jackson (suspended first four games)
Brandon Jenkins
Nick Barnett

Cornerbacks:
David Amerson
DeAngelo Hall
Chase Minnifield
Josh Wilson
E.J. Biggers

Safeties:
Brandon Meriweather
Bacarri Rambo
Reed Doughty
Jordan Pugh

Special Teams:
Nick Sundberg
Sav Rocca
Skye Dawson (could go to practice squad when Rob Jackson returns)
Kai Forbath

Practice Squad:
Jacolby Ashworth
Nick Williams
Eric Kettani
Chris Thompson
Quan Sturdivant
Dominique Hamilton
William Compton
Ricky Elmore

PUP List:
Adam Carriker
Maurice Hurt

Injured Reserve:
Philip Thomas
Richard Crawford
Keenan Robinson (not yet official, but probable)

Suspended List:
Tanard Jackson

Last edited:
Looks good...although Jenkins is suspended the first four games as well, so we'll probably keep one other DL in the mean time.

I think the Reed selection shows that Shanahan backtracked on his previous statement that Paul reminded him of a raw Shannon Sharpe.

The Paul experiment seems to be over.

I'd like to see the Skins Trade Grossman to the Jets for a late round pick or a ham sandwich....something

Paul is a hard worker and good guy and if he is indeed gone because of Reed, you have to put it down simply to talent.

I really thought when they moved him to a slot back role that with his 4.5 speed he was going to develop into a real threat in the passing game a la Aaron Hernandez for the Patriots.

But he really transitioned slowly last season. At points he looked more comfortable blocking ILB at 230 (which was supposed to be his weak spot in playing against bigger bodies inside) than in running pass routes against slower linebackers and safeties.

Looks good...although Jenkins is suspended the first four games as well, so we'll probably keep one other DL in the mean time.

I've updated that info - thanks for the catch. I will leave the roster spot open for now. The depth that we currently have at DE is not deep. We may look for a temporary solution on the waiver lists later this week.

Kenny Phillips cut by the Eagles at S. Has Jordan Pugh shown enough to be a 16 game performer for the Redskins? We picked him up on waivers from Carolina and is limited physically.

Chris Thompson will replace Williams or Royster on the 53.

Kenny Phillips is done. His career is over and may not be able to pass a physical at this point.

Based on the depth chart, though, I would have to think that safety is one position where the team could look to make a move in veteran free agency before the opener.

Thomas & Robinson officially to Injured Reserve. Crawford was waived with an injury designation.

With losing Crawford, I think we keep Thompson on the roster to return punts which might be the end of Williams.

Chris Thompson stays. Royster packs his bags.

I'm getting that vibe too. Shanahan's comments today:

On Royster:
“You always want to see guys compete, but injuries do happen. Evan’s working as hard as he can to be ready for Thursday night and hopefully he is, but you’ve got to come up with the top 53 players. It’s nice when you have some tough decisions to make, and that’s a situation you want to be in. When it’s easy to find your top 53, usually that’s not a good sign.”

On Thompson:
“One of the reasons why we drafted Chris is we know what he can do outside because he has a big play capability. We wanted to see what he could do inside. I like what I see, especially after not playing all last year coming off of the ACL, and I think he’ll just keep on getting better as time goes on.”

I won't shed any tears if Royster is cut, as I was never fully sold on him in the first place, however I'd be shocked if we entrust all of our return duties to a rookie who has fumbled twice in the preseason so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.